homebirth vs. hospital birth

My opinion on homebirths was very positive up until having Max, my sister was born at home and I really do think it would be a wonderful experience, however...

My pregnancy with Max was low risk, sailed through in fact, although as it was my first I opted for a hospital birth to be safe, best desicion of my life.

Max had a bowel blockage at birth was not breathing and needed immediate care and ventilation as he was not breathing. This wasnt picked up through pregnancy and if id have had Max at home he would not have survived.

My personal opinion after experiencing this is that hospital is the safest place to be. I understand it is just my opinion..but I think its a justified one :D

Even with a low risk pregnancy complications can occur.

I dont want to scare anyone just give my reasoning against homebirth.! I do also think that childbirth is an amazing experience and is a very personal situation that each individual can tailor to how theyd like, be that at home or hospital...a lovely baby is the outcome! :D

xxx

*de-lurks*

I would like a water birth, but think I'd feel more comfortable having baby #1 in a hospital, so would use our local birth centre pool.

(PS. OH and I aren't even WTT, but randomly find myself scouring websites like this. :shrug: Supposedly I'm not broody...:oops:)

The majority of doctors will tell you that it's safest to be in a maternity ward when giving birth, so that's what I'm going with, untill proven wrong.

Not true. All the research says for a normal pregnancy, a home birth is safer. You have the devoted attention of a midwife rather than having several of them popping in and out and therefore more likely to miss something. You don't have doctors pushing for interventions which aren't necessary - resulting in a cascade of interventions which can put mom and baby at risk. Then there's the fact that hospitals are full of ill people - full of bugs, mrsa, c. diff, etc etc etc. A baby born at home will already have antibodies against the bugs in the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->