Hook effect?

lilmisscaviar

2 girls, 3 boys
Reaction score
Ok so here is my story. I had a MC last October and was elated to find out we were expecting again in January! This was my fourth pregnancy. I had all the pregnancy symptoms to the EXTREME... bad morning sickness, sore bbs, fatigue, cold sore (which for some reason I only get when I am pregnant) and of course a positive pregnancy test. I watched the test lines get darker as the days went on, until I hit the "hook effect" stage when the tests started getting lighter again. Freaking out, I went to have a beta done at 5/6 weeks to make sure everything was ok and it was 55,000!

Then mid February, I was starting to show signs of miscarriage again... I had severe cramping, bleeding with clots and decreased pregnancy symptoms. When it all passed, I was convinced I had lost my rainbow baby.

About 3 weeks after I stopped bleeding, I noticed I still wasn't feeling myself. For one thing, my sore bbs never went away. Then when a cold sore popped up on my lip, I took a pregnancy test but prepared myself for disappointment. To my amazement it was still positive! To make sure it wasn't just a faulty test, I bought 4 more. All showed positive.

My question is... I added water to my urine to dilute it to see if that would change the result but it didn't... it was the same darkness. I thought with the "hook effect" if you added water the line would get darker?

By the way I would be about 10/11 weeks now.

I suggest you go to the doctors for a blood HCG test and see if you can book a scan. Either you are still pregnant, or you have products of the miscarriage still in you and you require a D&C. I am hoping it is the first option, I bled for 5 weeks and still have a healthy pregnancy.

You need to have a scan to see what is going on x

I agree with PP's. Definitely get to the doctors and get yourself scanned. I am hoping its good news for you xxx

Thank you ladies for taking the time to reply. As an update, I did go in this past Friday for blood work to see what my hcg levels were. I will not get the results back until tomorrow though. If my levels are still elevated, my midwife will then order an ultrasound. However after not bleeding at all for the last few weeks, I began spotting today. It is not really "spotting"... more like brown discharge only when I wipe... but I also get this before my period. I took another pregnancy test that came back positive but the line was no darker or lighter from last week. I also took an OPK too out of curiosity and it had a line as dark as the control, meaning positive, so idk what is going on. I will update again when I find out more. Thanks again for the support!!

Praying for
Good news hun,
I bled at 4 weeks, 8 weeks & 11 weeks so still possible fingers crossed hun xx

I'm in a similar position to yours, hoping for good news for us both.

Well ladies I got my blood work results back today and I am officially out :cry: Beta was 52.6... way too low for 12 weeks. I must have had the MC when I bled the first time and it is taking a while for the hcg to clear out of my system. Prayers to the ladies who are currently going through this right now... I hope you all get better news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->