horrible headaches

birdlee337

Reaction score
My daughter is 3 weeks old. I get horrible tension headaches that go into migraines. I was taking fioricet during pregnancy but can't when breastfeeding. Idk what to take. Tylenol doesn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm not familiar with that medication, but it has caffeine, which can help with headaches. Have you tried something with tylenol and caffeine, like Tylenol Ultra?

Other things that may work are neck massage, heat pad on the neck, yoga or meditation, or a naturopathic pain relieving spray (there's a company called Saje that has this sort of thing, but you could probably find it at a natural food store or something?). Have you tried Ibuprofen? Tylenol alone does nothing for my headaches.

I suffer from migraines and thankfully haven't had one yet since my LO was born. I have discussed it with my doctor and she said all I can take is either paracetamol (it does nothing) or ibuprofen.

The ibuprofen helps a bit. Tbh though I don't suffer too bad with the headache part, it's the flashing lights, tunnel vision and that horrible confused feeling that I get that I really don't want while I'm on my own with the kids, but I'm not allowed to take anything to prevent them. :(

I bf and my dr prescribed me fioricet for my migraines also. I used to take tramadol before I got preg. I usually take it asap after nursing. My dr said it was safe while bfing, but I like to take it right after nursing so by the time lo wants to eat again, most of it is out of the milk. Hope you find relief soon, I feel for ya!

I bf and my dr prescribed me fioricet for my migraines also. I used to take tramadol before I got preg. I usually take it asap after nursing. My dr said it was safe while bfing, but I like to take it right after nursing so by the time lo wants to eat again, most of it is out of the milk. Hope you find relief soon, I feel for ya!

I was told there weren't any studies so to not take it. I mean if i can during pregnancy seems like I could when bf. Idk. Nothing helps. No sleep definitely doesn't help either!:(

I just found this chart, which rated tylenol #3 as potentially hazardous if taken in unusually high doses, and rated Fioricet as probably safe in usual doses. Many people take T3 in the first few days after birth, especially for c-section!

https://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety-during-breastfeeding_8790.bc

Maybe your doctor is concerned about prescribing a sedative with a newborn in the house, not specifically because you're bf, but because you're already sleep deprived? I don't know, but hopefully you can find something that works!

They cant do many studies on bfing moms just like pregnant moms. A lot of medications don't have enough information out there to be conclusive either way. My hubby looked up each ingredient for me to make sure I could take it (before my dr verified that I could) and the only thing causing concern was the butalbital. I believe when I read it, it said it reaches its peak in breast milk after 1 hour of taking it. Which is why I take it super close to a feeding. I trust my dr with my life, so when she told me it was okay to take, I was super happy! Just dont take more than directed and you should be fine. :)

This is the link I found to be helpful. https://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?453-Fioricet

I just found this chart, which rated tylenol #3 as potentially hazardous if taken in unusually high doses, and rated Fioricet as probably safe in usual doses. Many people take T3 in the first few days after birth, especially for c-section!

https://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety-during-breastfeeding_8790.bc

Maybe your doctor is concerned about prescribing a sedative with a newborn in the house, not specifically because you're bf, but because you're already sleep deprived? I don't know, but hopefully you can find something that works!

That's the website I was going by. But I think it's because studies haven't been really done. Idk. I trust her...but I meed something. I go back Monday so plan to talk to her about it more then. Thanks!

They cant do many studies on bfing moms just like pregnant moms. A lot of medications don't have enough information out there to be conclusive either way. My hubby looked up each ingredient for me to make sure I could take it (before my dr verified that I could) and the only thing causing concern was the butalbital. I believe when I read it, it said it reaches its peak in breast milk after 1 hour of taking it. Which is why I take it super close to a feeding. I trust my dr with my life, so when she told me it was okay to take, I was super happy! Just dont take more than directed and you should be fine. :)

I completely agree! I trust my dr too....but damn I need something. I think it's cause there aren't many studies on it. I see her Monday plan to talk to her again!

You could have a look at the analgesics info sheet here - https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html Some of the drugs have UK names but Google is your friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->