horrid bedtime

elephant29

Daddy, mummy, LO and bean
Reaction score
I feel really wierd about los bedtime tonight.

We were out walkin today for about 4 hours, she slept for about an hour. We stopped for something to eat, got her out and she sat with us. She had a bf of about 1 minute in the restaurant. Got home. She had another feed, a big one this time and slept on me for about 30 mins.

She had another big feed and at her normal bedtime she started to fall asleep on me. Normally I'll top and tail her and take her into the room for a final feed but as she was falling asleep I didnt bother and offered another feed in the room which she refused so I put her to bed.

She actually cried :cry: and I didn't pick her up. I sshed her with my hand on her chest as I knew she was really really tired. she woke twice after and I done the same and she's now sound asleep.

Was I cruel? I knew she was crying due to being overtired and I felt if I picked her up it would make her worse but now I don't feel so good about how I got her to sleep.

Xxx

this is actually how we put LO to bed. We do our routine then rock her till she's sleepy then once we put her down we don't pick her back up just "shhh" her and pat her till she sleeps and if she wakes we just do the "shhh"/pat again till she's gone for good.

Thanks! Noticed ur los age so that made me feel better. I don't really mind it normally and it works really well got us. Tonight felt different though. Wasn't nice.

Xxx

sounds perfect to me!!!She was just tired and you were doing everything you thought was right!!!!Being a mummy is hard eh??I feel like this about loads of things all the time!x

Well call me a bad mum but I don't pick up LO every time he cries. Thing is he often cries as he falls asleep and sometimes while he's asleep! He particularly does this when he's overtired. I used to pick him up every time he made any cry and what I was actually doing was waking him up so making him more frustrated! Perhaps that was cruel if you think about it...:shrug:
Anyway, so if he cries a protesting cry ie, "WAAAHHH Waah....wwwwa...grumble grumble...Wwaaah wah...uh huh...." (varying pitch and volume) I leave him to say his piece for a bit and then go to him and lay my hand on his chest if he doesn't settle. If, however, he cries an emotional or hungry cry eg "wah wah wah wah wah wah" (same pitch and volume) then I pick him up for a cuddle and offer food immediately.

Sounds to me that what you did was the best thing for your overtired little girl.xx

sounds perfect to me!!!She was just tired and you were doing everything you thought was right!!!!Being a mummy is hard eh??I feel like this about loads of things all the time!x

Thanks you! :hugs:

It is so bloody hard sometimes! I find myself questioning everything I do. As much as I love BnB and its saved my life with a few things, it makes me doubt myself so much as well. I would never have known about cio/cc before coming on here and now I worry if I let LO cry a litt (whilst i'm right there) that I'm damaging her somehow! I am confident (I know it doesnt seem that way :haha:) i my parenting but my God sometimes I feel so ill with worry over the smallest of things!

xxx

Well call me a bad mum but I don't pick up LO every time he cries. Thing is he often cries as he falls asleep and sometimes while he's asleep! He particularly does this when he's overtired. I used to pick him up every time he made any cry and what I was actually doing was waking him up so making him more frustrated! Perhaps that was cruel if you think about it...:shrug:
Anyway, so if he cries a protesting cry ie, "WAAAHHH Waah....wwwwa...grumble grumble...Wwaaah wah...uh huh...." (varying pitch and volume) I leave him to say his piece for a bit and then go to him and lay my hand on his chest if he doesn't settle. If, however, he cries an emotional or hungry cry eg "wah wah wah wah wah wah" (same pitch and volume) then I pick him up for a cuddle and offer food immediately.

Sounds to me that what you did was the best thing for your overtired little girl.xx

Thank you :hugs:

She does definately have a protest cry! Last night I'm not so sure though. Her little face crumpled up and she did cry. However her eyes were half shut and the minute I put her dummy in she would close her eyes completely which is why I think she was just overtired and fighting it. Your exactly like me. I used to pick her up at the slightest noise and for sure this was stopping her sleeping and making her worse!

xxx

Sounds like you did a great job to me! Tonight Clara did her usual wake up 30-45 minutes after going to bed and had a quick 5 minute feed before going back to sleep, but then she woke up again 30 minutes later and I just gave her a soother and a quick kiss and she rolled over and went back to sleep.

My lo does the crying in her sleep and a bit of a protest cry too. I just stroke her head to settle her as normally her eyes are closed, she is just having a final word before going off to sleep!

This is the same as me. Macy likes to have a good old moan and grumble to herself before going to sleep every time. If I pick her up and comfort her she just gets annoyed and screams at me so I just leave her to it for a bit then go and shhh/pat her in the crib and only get her up if it changes to a distressed or hungry cry. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->