Horse Riding

tone

Mummy of 2! ttc for #3
Reaction score
Has anyone continued riding whilst pregnant? Obviously nothing crazy like going out showjumping, but just general schooling and hacking?
Just my mum said she did it with me till 7 months. Im just not sure if its a very smart idea??

Has anyone continued riding whilst pregnant? Obviously nothing crazy like going out showjumping, but just general schooling and hacking?
Just my mum said she did it with me till 7 months. Im just not sure if its a very smart idea??
its ok if you have a nice safe horse u have been riding for years my mum rode with me till the day i was born :hug:

I ride professionally, I actually fell off one of the racehorses I train very hard when I first was pregnant. Although I didnt even know at the time that I was pregnant.

But ya, as long as your on safe horses you are fine. And as long as you are comfortable, that goes with anything during pregnancy, do what is comfortable.

Ive jumped a few times since being pregnant, but just small, nothing over 3ft.

Unfortunately my baby was unplanned, and as happy as I am, I have alot of commitments that I couldnt just drop when I found out. I try and be as safe as possible though, and will likely cut down my numbers soon.

I think here to be diligent is the best piece of advice, if you have had your horses a long time then you will know their character, however, we never 100% our horses and they can be very unpredictable indeed with no warning *even the safest plodders* i personally wouldnt ride as i would worry and would hate to have to contend or even comprehend if anything happened, any risk factor you can take out of your pregnancy i would but this is not right for everyone this is just my opinion!

h x

I have to give up with the horse for a while, luckily my sister is keeping eventing them for me. I always said i'd continue with it but my OH and mum refused to let me so im verrrrrry bored and watching my sis event them is sooo not fun!! I spoke to quite a few folk and most stopped after 4months and others said that they rode with their first and decided babies were too precious and didnt with the second, its not too long and i'v already got my next stressage n sj ones lined up in november ha ha ha!! I think it depends on what you're riding my baby one went over backwards with me and jumped me off when i didn know i was pregnant and i dont want to just hack i want to compete, my dressage trainer is one of the paraolympic riders and she did until she couldn get back on again and she keeps trying to get me to get back on once my sis has ridden him.
But i soooo much want to ride but i know if anything did go wrong i'd hate myself. I know they say that you shouldn unless ur experienced and all but i train with the YR and JRs and i'm not sure the selectors would be so happy if they knew and its not worth it in the end.

Hope you make the right decision for you i dont think there is a right or wrong one here

Ha ha ha ha oh i do love the long post but when ur talking ponies can talk forever ha ha ha!!

i didnt. no way did i want any extra jiggling-about in the early days to risk anything being dislodged (as daft as that may sound) and I wasnt prepared to risk a fall.
Even the calmest of horses can get spooked.

The fall is the risk. As long as your confident in your horse & your skills I would say go for it!

I did work with horses, but I've had two scares so far with my pregnancy so gave it up.

I've also put my horse out on loan until after the baby is born. I hate the idea, but he's a 16.3hh 6 year old and there is no way I can risk riding him as he's still a baby and unpredictable. At least this way he'll be competed over the summer, hunted in the winter and I can put my feet up and relax.

Its one thing to say not to ride, but when horses are your life its another thing to actually not ride. Alot of people wouldnt understand how hard it is though. I already know in a month or 2 I wont be able to ride many of the horses I currently ride.

Look at the Olympic dressage rider Anky, she went to the olympics and WEG during both her pregnancies. She was 5 months the last.

My horses are my life but ive not ridden since about 3 months. Ive got 2 youngsters and both are still a bit green so didnt want to risk a fall, but I must admit, its killing me not riding them!!

I was going to continue riding my older one but a friend has advised me against it and she is exercising all 3 of them for me now

xxx

Its one thing to say not to ride, but when horses are your life its another thing to actually not ride. Alot of people wouldnt understand how hard it is though. I already know in a month or 2 I wont be able to ride many of the horses I currently ride.

Look at the Olympic dressage rider Anky, she went to the olympics and WEG during both her pregnancies. She was 5 months the last.

I totally agree its killing me not to ride i have nothing left to do, i stayed at home so that i could ride and go to uni and now i have NOTHING to do, i could never ever give my horses up. Loads of the top riders keep going Mary King went and won team gold did she not when she was preggers. If i was allowed i totally would have kept going i just cant now cos i agreed not to and then if it went wrong it would be my fault grrrr...

I thought about taking my horse to one or 2 early events this year, but I decided not to. We are just going to work on our dressage.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/jo_xena/canterdownvic2.jpg

I was told that unless you have been doing it regularly before you were pregnant that it's not the best idea. We've just moved to a property that we can have horses I have to sait myself with just grooming for now neighbors actually offered us a really good deal on a couple of horses... Can wait to get to ride again.

I worked as a groom before i got pregnant. The day before i found out i had a fall and the horse fell on top of me. I actually gave up my job at 6wks pregnant because i didnt want to lose another baby. I also have 2 horses which i loaned out. I know a few people tho that have rode all the way through there pregnancies. Listen to you body and dont over do it. If your used to it then it shouldnt hurt.

Alot of people wouldnt understand how hard it is though. I already know in a month or 2 I wont be able to ride many of the horses I currently ride.

Ditto. This is the longest amount of time I will have gone not riding. I hate the idea of someone else caring for my horse, but there's nothing I can do about it. Especially now the nights are longer and the days are warmer I get really itchy feet to go and ride! Arrrgh!!

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/Vader2.jpg

Vader at Burghley

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/sarahwalker12/Flo.jpg

Jo at Floors

I hope that works but they are my babies :blush: :blush: :blush:

My friend rode until she was just too big to get on the horse..around 8 months I think!! No one could of stopped her anyway!

Blob, you are very lucky to live in the UK and so close to such good venues like Burghley... Im very jealous.

I know im always tempted to move to NZ with them but i would just miss having all the events everywhere and they are all so good. Where are you btw? I cant wait to get back on my pony (the one at the bottom got put down 2 weeks ago got serious colic :cry: ) But i have a foal born in July which is soooo exiting, its the second one :happydance: yaaay!!

Sorry i can just talk too much on this subject the only one i know tons about ha ha ha everything else i feel bit clueless about. :blush: :blush:

Lovely pics Blob,you have a beautiful horse...

I stopped riding after I found out! I'm scared that something might happen,since riding is one of the top causes of miscarriage...

I miss it sooooo much...I go to see him but I have to restrain myself from riding him...I can't wait to be able to go again!:hissy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->