Horse Riding

I did riding with my friend up until 15 weeks and stopped.

But then I don't own them, she does. But I can ride. So i understand where you still have to keep up your own horses matinence.

The fall is the risk. As long as your confident in your horse & your skills I would say go for it!

I'd say even a calm horse can have a bad moment if spooked by something out of your control. Or run into a tree or something.
Even the best of riders can be thrown or caught out. I dont think it's necessarily about ability.

Personally i didnt want to take any risks. Like I wouldnt ride a motor bike either. Or go on fair ground rides. Or go parachuting or re-tile my roof. I dont even like swimming when it's very busy with lots of kids jumping in and lots of stray feet about. But plenty do.

Where are you btw? :

In am in Ontario, Canada... Our events here are nothing lol... We have a few good places, but its not like yours. I had been planning on trying to get to a couple events in the states this year :( but that wont happen, my poor horse.

Nikky, I dont know where you got that riding is the top cause for miscarriages... because it is not. Miscarriages happen because there was something wrong with the baby from the beginning, or the mother has too much scarring or other issues.

The risk with riding is hard falls. This is what makes it dangerous... Or getting kicked. And you have to fall very, very hard... I had one fall before I found out I was pregnant, and it was quite hard as it was from gallop on a racehorse.

The baby is actually very well protected, especially in the beginning, later in pregnancy you risk pucturing or tearing the uterus.

You would be surprised at how much physical trauma a mother can sustain and the baby be just fine... In fact, most physicians here will tell you to keep riding if you want to, as long as its on a horse you know.

Tinytoes, it actually is about ability and riding skill. Someone who rides 5-8 horses a day is not going to fall off that easily... trus me. Someone who rides once a week, yes, they may fall. When you are used to riding dificult horses you learn how to stay on better.

My horse is actually quiet for the most part. Ive had her for a long time and when you ride a horse every day also, they do become more predictable. Even their spooks are predicatable. especially with a sport like eventing.

Tinytoes, it actually is about ability and riding skill. Someone who rides 5-8 horses a day is not going to fall off that easily... trus me. Someone who rides once a week, yes, they may fall. When you are used to riding dificult horses you learn how to stay on better.

My horse is actually quiet for the most part. Ive had her for a long time and when you ride a horse every day also, they do become more predictable. Even their spooks are predicatable. especially with a sport like eventing.

we'll agree to disagree then. :)

A great rider is less likely to fall yes. But any chance is a chance too many for me personally.
I guess it's different if riding is your way of earning a living. Like I say, I'm trying to stay out of all sorts of scrapes just in case. Myabe i'm a worrier. I just know I'd feel so awful if something happened. I only ride for fun so it's easy for me to avoid it.

I wouldn't mind riding an older horse, and have considered riding my friends gelding (who's more push button) as I know him, but for me I can't risk riding my youngster. Not because I considered myself to be a bad rider, but because he is prone to big childish strops! lol! :) He will either work beautifully, or get into his head that all the bushes contain horse eating monsters. I don't want to be sat on him not pushing him forward as I should do because of the baby. He needs to be worked properly, and I don't want to compromise that because I'll be worried about the baby.

I think you can minimise the risks greatly though. ie doing dressage and schooling is less risky than eventing. I think you just have to know your own body, your skill level and your horse and then make a decision that is right for you.

I know a woman who rode an absolute loony of a horse up until a week before she was due.

I just cannot wait to get back on, if i hadnt of agreed to not i would be riding. If you get that ha ha ha, i just mean i couldn cope with the guilt of my OH cos he was the one who wanted me stop. Grrr... cos its not my job tho (just my life ha ha) its not worth it for me, i have my sis taking good care of them so all good really. My mum just wets herself that ive already got down the training in november ha ha ha!! Do you have race horses then, or point to pointers?

He will either work beautifully, or get into his head that all the bushes contain horse eating monsters. ...

I know a woman who rode an absolute loony of a horse up until a week before she was due.

aww bless your horse!

woman sounds like her horse to me....a touch loony

Ooooh my baby one does that when i ride him i get one out a tree and hold it over his head and u either throw it or he tries to reach it. He is a wierdo of a horse though :)

I will continue to ride my own until I don't feel comfy any longer, I know mine well, they are *pretty* sensible and I trust them.
I wouldn't sit on something very young, silly, or to likely to try to put me on the floor!

I'd like to think I would be able to ride up to about 6 months, but who knows how I'll feel when the time comes.

*edited to add I'll also probably continue paragliding until I feel to fat to fly!!*

I rode one the summer I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know at the time though. I would have been like 2 weeks when I rode it!

Do you have race horses then, or point to pointers?

They are flat racers :) unfortunately, like alot of great things, point to point does not happen in Canada... I train them from Oct-April and then they return to the track for racing.

I know my OH worries, but he also trusts me and my judgement... and knows that there is no way in hell he'd keep me away... lol

Argh im too tall here for doing flats, i like point to pointers though was going to work at a yard near me that has them during the winter when mine are on holiday - just looks tons of fun :)
So do you just have your own now since they have gone back? Thinking that trying to get on them in oct might be a slightly hilarious sight ha ha ha!!

Also i know now that i'm not going to be able to do so much eventing next year, since im at uni and will have a baby going to be a bit hard to pay for, think my mum totalled it at £90 a day (ouch) not sure what that is to you, so think i will be cutting down ha ha! So annoying tho cos he's qualified for tons this year and i have to now watch my sis doing it on him (cry)

I have one horse of my own (a Thoroughbred). Her sire actually did flat racing in the UK for awhile.

I am still training 5 other horses right now... plus working part-time in a hospital LOL! Im trying to finish up with one client though and that will take away 2 of the horses.

Yes, im sure in Sept/Oct I will look silly trying to get on and off lol... But if I cant do it easily I will just stop and lunge my horse so I can keep her fitness up. No one else can ride her (her choice, not mine lol).

Eventing here costs about the same as yours. We spend approximately 300-400$ on an event depending on where it is. I wanted to go to quebec to event as alot of the amercans go there too, and that would likely be more because they hold traditional 3 days.

Ha ha i meant EVERY day of the year it costs that much (according to my mothers books mind) this does include competing a fair number of horses though. All adds up, you can do it on a shoe string or somehow spend a fortune.. tee hee i guess when we're travelling 8-9 hours to compete its alot, all the junior trials are down south and the training is like 100 per horse for the team training is mental, hoping that my sis gets lottery funding this year, would help. Grrrrr i soo want to get back on got to go down to the school and help her jump my pony *cries*
Am soooo jealous of you boo hoo

lol well here im not sure the cost per day, but I pay $400 a month to keep my horse at a stable with an indoor school, and then her vet bills which is about $300 a year, and then trimming and shoes, I only shoe in the summer, so half the year I pay $25 every 6 weeks and half I pay $80 for shoes.

So its not terribly bad here for cost I guess... lol

I dont live in an area with alot of good coaches, so mine drives an hour once a month to my place.

Ah i couldn cope with that, i phone mine when ever i'm having a panic attack. Have to say she normally just laughs at me lots tee hee!! Im going to have to learn to cope on my own tho now ha ha ha!! Awww i cant wait my lil sis doing 2 internationals this year going to be funny to watch me toddling around trying to groom for her tee hee not sure i'll be too fab on the dancing at night tho ha ha ha!! The second one i'll be at my due date almost ha ha be a bit of a laugh. Eeek!!

aww 2 internationals, that is awesome. I've told a friend I will come with her and be photographer, but she has a big 16.3h hanovarian and I get to coach her dressage, so I wont be groom.. lol.. I might help her with other things, but I think Im going to enjoy wearing shorts and sandles too much to do horse handling this summer.

I really will miss eventing though :(

Blob I am just like you, horses are my livelihood so I cant give them up. I have 2 very green babies that need bringing on but I have decided not to, as I had a very bad accident with major surgery in Jan and now the pregnancy. But I am riding the others and still handling all the horses. I work on a showing yard and breed my own so will just have to be careful.
I'm 14 weeks and not showing at all, so will carry on riding for as long as it is comfortable. Haven't actually told work yet but I ought to incase they think I am getting fat

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->