Horseback Riding when pregnat?

paintrider89

Reaction score
I'm posting this question here, as I'm hoping more people will see it.

I own two horses, both are very well broke and gentle. I've had them both about 10 years. I haven't ridden more than twice this pregnancy due to time restrictions and the heat. However now it's cooling off and I am free on the weekends. I was going to start up again, as that has alwayse been my stress reliever and most of my exercise. However an elderly friend of mine suggested I don't ride when pregnant. I don't see anything wrong with it, as I know my animals, and have no need to go fast or do anything crazy.

Did anyone ride through their pregnancy? Or is anyone currently riding? Did anyone quit while pregnant? If so why?

I am leaning toward going ahead and riding. Just using extream caution, and stopping if it gets uncomfortable, or I get unsteady. But if someone knows of a real caution I would like to hear about it. Thanks

I rode while pregnant up until around 18 weeks, like you I know my horse inside out and trust him completely!
That been said 3 weeks ago we were out hacking, he spooked and I fell off breaking 4 bones in my arm, so looking back I wouldnt ride while pregnant again! Anything could happen. ...

I wouldn't, but I also don't ride horses. Your muscles are already strong from regular riding, so as long as you don't get thrown or kicked, I would assume its ok. Later, I'd reevaluate the bouncing motion, but for now, you should be ok.

Ask your doctor to be safe though!

If you're comfortable with your horses, and you know them well, I would continue riding. :)

They do advise you not to, and for me I wouldn't because of the risks, however small. But if you want to, and you can be gentle then just be careful :) I wouldn't ride to term though lol xx

I personally wouldn't, if your horse gets spooked for any reason he could throw you off.
I wouldn't risk it x

https://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-ride-horseback-during-pregnancy_1246863.bc

It's generally considered to be something you don't do and certainly not something to be done after 12 weeks because of the risks involved.

Definitely not, the soundest horse in the world can still become startled. It just takes a slight shift in movement for balance to be lost.

When I was around 24 weeks I was leading a horse out to the field and he spooked at a loose plastic bag blowing in the wind, fortunately Lana was ok, but the result of that was me falling flat forward right onto my bump

I just wouldn't risk it, there is plenty of time to ride when you are not pregnant

I stopped when pregnant with darcey at around 12 weeks as for me it just wasn't worth the risk of something happening. Horses are animals and all animals are unpredictable no matter how much you may trust them.

Xx

I wouldn't. Yes horses are such trustworthy animals but you can't guess when something may happen to spook them.

I was told not to at all during pregnancy. Sometimes horses can act differently when you're pregnant also. You never know what could spook them and cause them to act differently.

I wouldn't you may trust your horses but they have their own minds and still could get spooked

Personally I wouldn't risk it, I admit I don't know much about horses, But it seems risky to me. I can understand the frustration though. Good luck whatever you decide.

My concern would be that the motion could create a placental abruption. My OB gave me one main rule at my first appointment, and that was *no* bouncing. I wouldn't say the risk of an accident, although that is true, because we do things throughout the day that are just as risky like getting into a car. You should probably talk to whoever is overseeing your pregnancy and discuss it with them. :)

But you don't bounce on a horse :shrug:

I understand we take risks everyday, but we try to minimise them where possible.

My concern would be that the motion could create a placental abruption. My OB gave me one main rule at my first appointment, and that was *no* bouncing. I wouldn't say the risk of an accident, although that is true, because we do things throughout the day that are just as risky like getting into a car. You should probably talk to whoever is overseeing your pregnancy and discuss it with them. :)

But, birthing balls are used during labor and in the weeks before hand, which is gentle bouncing no?
Sex can be a bit bouncy can it not?

But, birthing balls are used during labor and in the weeks before hand, which is gentle bouncing no?

I don't think gentle bouncing on a birthing ball when you're trying to get ready for labor/birth is quite the same as the motion of riding around on a horse, especially if you're nowhere close to being full term.

We refrained from wild, bouncy sex during the pregnancy and our love life was just fine. It was actually exciting to think of new things to do! :haha:

OP asked for opinions, and I just passed along what my doctor told me. That's why I said she should consult her own medical provider.

I don't think gentle bouncing on a birthing ball when you're trying to get ready for labor/birth is quite the same as the motion of riding around on a horse, especially if you're nowhere close to being full term.

We refrained from wild, bouncy sex during the pregnancy and our love life was just fine. It was actually exciting to think of new things to do! :haha:

OP asked for opinions, and I just passed along what my doctor told me. That's why I said she should consult her own medical provider.

I wasn't being bitchy! I was just wondering, this is my third pregnancy and i've never been told not to bounce :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->