Hospital Bag!

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
I had no idea what to take last time and ended up taking lots of useless stuff too.:dohh:

So, what would you say is most important to take with you?

:flower:

Great BIG kidney warmer/passion killer knickers!!! Ones that are high waisted so if you do have a section they are high enough not to interfere with the wound. They are also great for keeping the pads in place.

2-3 pairs of PJs for after the birth just in case of leakages and you can send out for more if you need them.

2-3 changes for baby, you can always send for more from home if you need them.

Special outfit for taking baby home in :)

A small number of pads/breast pads/nappies. Some hospitals supply them and if yours doesn't you can send for some from home.

Nice shower gel and shampoo for a luxury shower as soon as you are allowed :)

I took too much last time, one friend told me I'd need 7 changes a day for baby so I took 14 since I knew I'd be in for a couple of days but she was never sick, I only changed her babygro because I wanted to. I also took pads, nappies etc but the hospital supplied all of those which was great :)

Apart from the above I also found hairbands really useful, the last thing I wanted was my hair in my face :)

I had planned to have a water birth with hypno-birthing and aromatherapy, etc so I packed a lot of stuff including CDs, aromatherapy oils, swimwear and a bunch of other things.

My LO arrived so quickly (2.5 hour labour) and unexpectedly at 35 weeks that I never even opened the hospital bag during labour! The only thing I used was a hand held fan because it was so hot in the labour ward! :haha:

After labour I was grateful that I had packed 5 mars bars and lots of comfy clothes, inlcluding my own underwear and sanitary pads, and some nice shower gels and shampoo. Oh yea and my own bath towel and flip flops to wear in the shower! :thumbup:

I was completely gutted that I hadn't packed change for the vending machine because I was dying for an ice cold coca cola and the canteen was shut. I was also gutted I hadn't yet been fitted for or bought a nursing bra because I was stuck at the hospital for 9 days after birth without one and had to keep sticking breastpads on the insides of my clothes to catch leakages! :haha:

I was completely gutted that I hadn't packed change for the vending machine because I was dying for an ice cold coca cola and the canteen was shut. I was also gutted I hadn't yet been fitted for or bought a nursing bra because I was stuck at the hospital for 9 days after birth without one and had to keep sticking breastpads on the insides of my clothes to catch leakages! :haha:

Hey Raisin, I took 2 nursing bras in with me and they didn't even come close to fitting my humungous post partum boobies lol!! I had to go to M&S on the way home from hospital and they didn't have any big enough!! I had to get 1 size too small but 10 days later fitted into the ones I took to hospital so you never know you might not have been able to use the ones you would have bought anyway.

This may sound daft but I've been wondering, do I need to pack my hairdryer? I've got shampoo and conditioner sorted but I can't leave my hair to dry on it's own cos it goes all wavy and it's too short to tie back :shrug:

I wished I had taken one or two of my own pillows cos my hospital ones were rubbish and I couldn't sleep well at all on them. Take plenty of nighties/pj's cos I was in for 4 days and I only took 2. I also took lip balm cos the gas and air really dried my lips out and it was a life saver. Also like someone else said,pack some snacks. I only had a chocolate bar to eat on the night I had Samuel and that was one I had packed.

x

I overpacked last time as well, there's no way I'm bringing that much stuff again.

I'll pack:
- maternity pads (2x10 packs with more left ready at home)
- undies (huge ones! probably 4 pairs and more ready at home)
- bras (I won't be breastfeeding so normal ones)
- 2 pairs of comfy jammies (I had to wear a hospital gown in labour last time so probably will again)
- a light dressing gown and slippers for walking around the hospital
- a basic washbag - combined shampoo and shower gel, a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant - that's all
- a dark coloured handtowel for after my lovely shower : )
- my camera
- 3 vests and babygros, a packet each of nappies and wipes

My baby will be in the SCBU for at least 24 hours and they don't encourage you to hang around there, so I'll probably bring a laptop and headphones for watching films on the ward. I didn't sleep well last time so that would be a good way to pass the nights as well.

Hey Raisin, I took 2 nursing bras in with me and they didn't even come close to fitting my humungous post partum boobies lol!! I had to go to M&S on the way home from hospital and they didn't have any big enough!! I had to get 1 size too small but 10 days later fitted into the ones I took to hospital so you never know you might not have been able to use the ones you would have bought anyway.

Oh gosh! Well I still haven't got any because since we got home with LO I have been too scared to leave the house! :haha: My bbs seem to be growing still and since I am living in my PJs at the minute anyway I may leave it a week or so and see if the size changes again.... it's so complicated :shrug:

some great ideas...i never packed snacks last time and me and OH were starving afterwards and didnt get anything til around lunchtime....we had gone all night and all morning by then without food :/

I forgot pads last time though :dohh: the hospital ones were awful :(xx

I would take an MP3 player and headphones, or maybe just earplugs, if you are staying the night in the hospital...You might want to block out the sounds of other women and their babies.

Don't forget your camera, memory cards, and batteries!

Snacks and a good pillow, fuzzy socks for cold feet in stirrups, cell phone charger, hair ties, lip balm, pads, nipple pads, PJ's and undies, a journal and pen, a toothbrush and paste, a hairbrush, clothes and diapers for baby, pain killers, and lotion for your nipples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->