Hospital transfer and a 2 year old

diz

Reaction score
Just considering my options should i need a hospital transfer.

Family are a no, no - the closest lot are the out laws and they're 2 hours away... even if they were a bit closer i wouldn't want them hanging about in my kitchen while i was giving birth in the front room just in case they needed to look after DS. It would put me off!

My closet and nearest friends...?

One will have a 6 week old, so thats out of the question.

The other is a possibility but she has a 2 year old and a 7 month old, so it a big ask.

What about taking DS with me to hospital, should i need to go?

Does anyone had any experience of tho and how did it work out for you?
xx

ive been thinking about it lol someone would have to come take both the boys or stay here with them depending on the day/night, or id transfer without OH and he would stay with the boys till a babysitter could come

Won't you need to have somebody lined up in case you give birth during the day anyway? I am planning a hospital birth but want to stay at home for as long as possible and one of the things that bothers me is trying to deal with the contractions when they are very bad but also looking after Helen. I find being in the bath really good and I think she can come in with me for a bit but she's not going to want to spend a whole afternoon in there with me.

MIL is going to take her to her house once I'm in established labour (If I every go into labour that is:dohh:) I think if we were having a home birth I would probably put up with MIL being in another room with Helen so that she could see the baby straight away but there would be someone there if I needed to go to hospital.

Sorry didn't want to make things more stressful for you - I hope you find a good solution and don't need a hospital transfer anyway.:hugs:

Thanks for your responses guys xx

I had always planned on having my LO with me whist i gave birth. My OH will be home with me during the labour and then also 2 midwife when things become established. So its never bothered me that my son would be running round the place too.

The trouble with my MIL coming is that i really want at lest 24 hours with just my DS and OH before having to deal with family and other visitors. If my MIL comes up for the birth then that will be it. I'll be stuck with her! lol!!!

I might ask my MW and see if she has any words of wisdom regarding my 2 year old coming into hospital should i need to transfer...or is it simply not aloud..?

xx

I'm sure I've read a couple of birth stories here where a sibling ended up going to the hospital but I don't know whether hospitals has rules about these things or not.

I've been thinking the same thing, not even pregnant yet though! I'd thought about hiring a doula which would mean I'd have someone to come to hospital with me while DH stayed at home with LO whilst arranging a relative to come over or take her.

id aske your friend with the 2 year old and the 7 month old. its only a what if, it might never happen. and its only a one off and for a good reason. id do it for my friend if i had 2 kids already.
i think im asking my mum to come around, she really wanted to be at imogens birth but because i was a wreck on pitocin i didnt want her to see me like that. but this way she gets her way and she can entertain imogen as well if its through the day and she gets board. then if i transfer she can have her (id only leave her with my mum anyway).
you best ask your MW about the hospital policy on children as it will be different in different trusts. xx

If you get transferred it'll be because it's an emergency so I dont think making plans to take them with you is that appropriate :(

When I transferred I think I probably could have taken Seth with me, because it wasn't a massive emergency iykwim? Like, I could have stayed at home for another half hour before going if I had insisted probably. Only thing I would have struggled with is that when you're in the hospital waiting around for Drs etc, and you're unable to get up & walk around as readily as usual, keeping him under control & entertained in there would have been VERY hard, so personally I wouldn't have considered taking him unless it was absolutely necessary.

It also might be worth considering what would happen if there was an actual proper emergency... like a big bleed or something. Someone else would have to be there to take care of your son if you aren't capeable and Im not sure who that would be, and he might be scared. I don't know.

I would def ask your friend to be on standby, if she doesn't live too far away if you do need to transfer you could always leave her number & ask a midwife to call her asap if she's needed so you don't have to worry about it.

xxx

If you get transferred it'll be because it's an emergency so I dont think making plans to take them with you is that appropriate :(

Thank hon, i see your point. I had a hospital transfer with my last home birth but it wasn't an emergency - it was that i had used up my designated 2 hours of pushing time. Protocol states that after two hours you had to go in.

However its probably better that there is someone on standby. xx :thumbup:

I've also got this on my mind. I've got 2 boys (5 and 2.5) and my vague plan is if I can and it's not 3am when things start to happen, I'll call my Mum and she'll pick up the boys - she lives about 20-30 min away. My one slight worry is if it's the middle of the night, in which case I'd just leave the kids in bed, but if I needed to transfer I think we'd have to take the boys with us and ask my Mum to pick them up from the hospital. So they'd come with us but hopefully not for long x

I have a 4 yr old and I dont really want him to go anywhere OR have anyone else being involved. Do people actually have their other children around when birthing?

I have a 4 yr old and I dont really want him to go anywhere OR have anyone else being involved. Do people actually have their other children around when birthing?

Yes :shrug: I'd have amelie there if she wasn't upset and I wasnt screaming or anything. She's my biggest comfort.

Thank hon, i see your point. I had a hospital transfer with my last home birth but it wasn't an emergency - it was that i had used up my designated 2 hours of pushing time. Protocol states that after two hours you had to go in.

However its probably better that there is someone on standby. xx :thumbup:

2 hours pushing sounds awful :( :hugs: hopefully this time you sneeze and theyre out!

I plan on having my 2 year old at home during the birth :shrug:

As to transfer no idea hun.. Worst comes to the worst I will be breaking down next doors door :haha: I have family who can drive it would be a case of someone to wait with him while they turned up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->