Hospital

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I hope you dont mind me posting here - I am not due until 3rd July, but my baby is due to spend at least two weeks in hospital as he is to have major surgery as soon as he is born. I was wondering whether anyone could give me advice on what it is like to have your baby in hospital and the practicalities such as breastfeeding, can they wear their own clothes etc.

Thanks!

Hiya,

Im sorry that your little baby will need to stay in hospital for an operation. My little girl Charlotte was born at Portsmouth Hospital and spent 9 weeks in the NICU there before being transferred closer to home. (she was born at 24 weeks).

All I can say is the hospital doctors and nurses were fantastic. You will be able to dress your little boy in his own clothes as once Charlotte was big enough I dressed her in the tinest preemie clothes money could buy. With regards to breast feeding then obviously it will depend on how your baby is after the operation as he may well need to be fed by tube for a short while. Nevertheless, even this being the case, you will be encouraged to express your milk so that he can be given your milk.

I wish you all the best

Sam

Thank you so much and congratulations on Charlotte - she is absolutely georgous!! What a little miracle she is!

First I want to say that I'm sorry that your baby is going to need surgery. My 1st dd was 6 weeks old when she had her 1st surgery. She had 7 in the first 7 months of life...including a liver transplant. She is 4 years old today and doing fantastic. Anyway, we were always encouraged to have her wear her own clothes whenever possible. Depending on the surgery that your baby will need...it may determine what kind of clothing you should take. We bought a lot of onesies that snapped up the front. that way doctors, nurses, ect. could easily view her incision, and her lines were still accessible. I made sure she had matching socks/slippers with all of her outfits and matching hair ties. I know it may sound goofy, but any little thing that I could do to make me feel more like her "mommy" (because it is difficult in that setting...you don't do all of the things for them that you would do at home). I also made sure I was involved in all of her care. I changed her diapers myself when able (at times there were so many lines that the nurses needed to do it), helped to bath her, etc. Our hospital is very parent friendly (as I think most Children's hospitals are), and they encourage the parents to be a part of everything.

Although it is an experience that I would never have asked for...it is also one that I will never forget. It has made me a much stronger person, and a very loving mother.

I hope this has helped. If you want to PM me I would be glad to help in any way possible. Best wishes to you and your baby:).

Thanks very much frog - you certainly went through alot! At the moment I am only expecting one or two operations - but there could be an infinate amount. Your words are very encouraging - especially as you now have a very beautiful daughter!

i don't plan to leave the hospital after the birth - i plan to stay there and breast feed or express and look after him as much as I possibly can. I know our hospital has family rooms where i can stay in the same room as him and 24 hour visiting. I have bought some simple baby grows with matching hats and socks which I hope to be able to dress him in. Although his surgery will be on his spine and I dont think you can get ones that do up at the back...

The thing that worries me most is not being able to be a mummy to him whilst he is there, like you said.

Emme you are already his mum :) Just because he will be in the hospital for a little while doesn't mean you can still be his mum. Everything you do for him will be extremely important for both of you. Make sure you talk with the doctors and see if they will allow you to participate in his basic care. But most importantly make sure you spend alot of time with him. Although you might not be able to hold him the sound of your voice, the smell of your skin and the touch of your hand will comfort him and encourage him to heal quicker :)
I was not able to hold my daughter for a month after she was born and I always felt like I wasn't being a proper mommy to her because I wasn't able to cuddle her. Little did I know that even those smallest things were important to her in ways that I couldn't imagine. Babies thrive on even the most minimal parental contact. So don't worry you will be a great mom. And don't worry you are his only mom and he knows that :)

As for breastfeeding if they give you the go ahead I would definetely encourage it. If not than expressing milk will do just fine. Breastmilk is magic for sick babies!

Also I have some preemie clothing patterns if you like I could make you some gowns for your little one to wear while he's in the hospital. They can be custom made to open down the back and if im feeling adventerous enough I could even make u matching hats and boots :) Let me know. Good luck with everything keep us updated!!

Thanks turbo mum. I dont plan on leaving his side. I am goign to stay with him in hospotal as much as I can. We have been offered a room where both me and his dad can sleep with him - hopefully no-one else we need it more during this time. I am moving to a house up the road from the hospital, so I will never have to be gone long.

I really really want to breast feed him - do you think that if i have to express he will go back to the breast afterwards when he is better?

If you really dont mind making gowns that would be fantastic and sooo kind of you! He will have to lie on his front for the time he is in there so a back fastening one would be great!

Wow, you guys are so lovely!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->