Hospitals no longer providing milk !!

im pregnant with twins this time round so dont really know how i feel about it . twins was unexpected i had everythink i need for one baby as my son is olmsot 2 and we kept everythink but now theres twins we really are struggling to afford everythink . so if we cant take powderd milk in ill have to buy those already made up bottles which will cost a fortune aving to buy for 2 babies especially if ill have to be in there longer than i expect and you cant use milk tokens to buy them . i would like to try n breastfeed but with my son i couldnt do it after a 16 hr labour i was tired and hadnt slept for days so bottle was the best for me im affriad as my partner could take over so i kind of know i wont be able to with twins . double the work but double the fun :D but i can see the reason in why thy are doing it its okay if your going to be in there for 24 hrs or less but 48 hours or more will be an expensive game xx

You can use milk tokens to buy them xx

i tried about a year ago and they only let you buy powderd milk formula . maybe theyve changed this ill have to query it x

I know you can in Asda and Tesco. My friend only buys the ready made formula and has never had a problem. Once when we were in Asda a new cashier said she wasn't allowed and when he checked with the manager she said yes you are allowed. This was about a month ago so im sure you can :)

I am all for bringing your own formula but I think it should be available at the hospital in case. rather through a venting machine or provided free. when I was on medicaid (gov't assisted health program paid by taxes of other people) with my first son, they only gave me a limited of maternity pads .i tried asking for more but for some reasons they couldn't so I had to send my husband to get me some. it is frustrating to be stuck in a hospital and nothing you need is provided for you. the hospital do have a store and a pharmacy store but they are overpriced. Also, you don't always carry your own cash in the hospital.

i must admit it is a little irritating that SOME people pay thousands and thousands in taxes and national insurance and then the NHS is classed as 'free'.. many of you ladies have stated that we get free healthcare.. maybe we do if we don't work our whole lives and still have 5 babies but i personally have already paid in taxes (i am self employed and get stung every year for trying my hardest to keep a small business going) more than what it would cost to have children if you were to pay for your own healthcare. I have heard that it costs around £6000 to give birth.. well i have damn sure paid more than that in taxes in one year alone never mind in my lifetime!

but then there is the other side of things as i said, the people who do not work and so have never contributed to the healthcare system. This is a very touchy subject but i just don't like it when people say the NHS is free healthcare when for most of us hardworking citizens we have more than paid our right to give birth and have an ok experience!

i really do not care about having to take my own milk, as miss cakes said i just want to know beforehand that they don't provide formula anymore, as i will take some pre made bottles for if i cannot breastfeed.. it's not a case of wanting to take as much as i can from the hospital it's just about preperation! i think taking away formula, except in emergency situations, is probably for the best in the long run as long as they still provide the support for those who decide to formula feed.

Sorry for the rant!
Yup I agree - in 2 months and me and hubby have paid well over £6k in taxes and NI! however back to the topic...if its to promote breastfeeding hmmm that means pushing it further onto ladies that choose not too is right? hmmm its not like we don't get frowned upon and pushed/lectured enough for not breastfeeding. Hmmm not sure this is fair either

im pregnant with twins this time round so dont really know how i feel about it . twins was unexpected i had everythink i need for one baby as my son is olmsot 2 and we kept everythink but now theres twins we really are struggling to afford everythink . so if we cant take powderd milk in ill have to buy those already made up bottles which will cost a fortune aving to buy for 2 babies especially if ill have to be in there longer than i expect and you cant use milk tokens to buy them . i would like to try n breastfeed but with my son i couldnt do it after a 16 hr labour i was tired and hadnt slept for days so bottle was the best for me im affriad as my partner could take over so i kind of know i wont be able to with twins . double the work but double the fun :D but i can see the reason in why thy are doing it its okay if your going to be in there for 24 hrs or less but 48 hours or more will be an expensive game xx

You can use milk tokens to buy them xx

i tried about a year ago and they only let you buy powderd milk formula . maybe theyve changed this ill have to query it x

I know you can in Asda and Tesco. My friend only buys the ready made formula and has never had a problem. Once when we were in Asda a new cashier said she wasn't allowed and when he checked with the manager she said yes you are allowed. This was about a month ago so im sure you can :)

thankyou i tried in boots last time but was quite a while bk my sons 22 months now so was quite a while ago maybe they have changed the rulings then hope so . xx

i must admit it is a little irritating that SOME people pay thousands and thousands in taxes and national insurance and then the NHS is classed as 'free'.. many of you ladies have stated that we get free healthcare.. maybe we do if we don't work our whole lives and still have 5 babies but i personally have already paid in taxes (i am self employed and get stung every year for trying my hardest to keep a small business going) more than what it would cost to have children if you were to pay for your own healthcare. I have heard that it costs around £6000 to give birth.. well i have damn sure paid more than that in taxes in one year alone never mind in my lifetime!

but then there is the other side of things as i said, the people who do not work and so have never contributed to the healthcare system. This is a very touchy subject but i just don't like it when people say the NHS is free healthcare when for most of us hardworking citizens we have more than paid our right to give birth and have an ok experience!

i really do not care about having to take my own milk, as miss cakes said i just want to know beforehand that they don't provide formula anymore, as i will take some pre made bottles for if i cannot breastfeed.. it's not a case of wanting to take as much as i can from the hospital it's just about preperation! i think taking away formula, except in emergency situations, is probably for the best in the long run as long as they still provide the support for those who decide to formula feed.

Sorry for the rant!
Yup I agree - in 2 months and me and hubby have paid well over £6k in taxes and NI!

See to me, I dont think it makes a difference if you have contributed 1k in tax, or 6k in tax, as long as you have contributed SOMETHING. Imagine a healthcare system that turned away people because they hadn't put into the pot. It might not seem fair to you (and it probably isnt) , but it would be a whole lot less fair if innocent babies were suffering or dying due to lack of medical care because their parents had not worked.

I'm sorry but not breastfeeding because you are tired is quite frankly ridiculous! Are you aware that you can breastfeed twins? Plenty of people have managed it.

Also all these people bringing formula bottles just in case is pretty silly in my opinion, I never once considered doing this as an option because I knew that if I was stressed, tired and upset (or a combo of all 3) then I would likely resort to using a bottle and knew that it would only be detrimental to long term breastfeeding.

I'm sorry but not breastfeeding because you are tired is quite frankly ridiculous! Are you aware that you can breastfeed twins? Plenty of people have managed it.

Also all these people bringing formula bottles just in case is pretty silly in my opinion, I never once considered doing this as an option because I knew that if I was stressed, tired and upset (or a combo of all 3) then I would likely resort to using a bottle and knew that it would only be detrimental to long term breastfeeding.

I think this comment is really harsh and pretentious :shrug: Why would it be silly of Mums who plan to breastfeed to get bottles? Its called being prepared for all situations- pretty responsible i think.

Very rude! I knew it was possible that I physically wouldn't be able to breastfeed so I took a back up. How is that silly?

Im sorry I didn't mean it as rude. It's not silly if you are aware of a problem that is going to make it unable/hard to breastfeed - just saying for most people (over 99%) this is not the case.

Very rude! I knew it was possible that I physically wouldn't be able to breastfeed so I took a back up. How is that silly?

Im sorry I didn't mean it as rude. It's not silly if you are aware of a problem that is going to make it unable/hard to breastfeed - just saying for most people (over 99%) this is not the case.

You can't know of a problem til it happens. Ive breastfed all mine, my 4th baby until she was 26 months old, and I had nothing but problems feeding my 5th.

I think this comment is really harsh and pretentious :shrug: Why would it be silly of Mums who plan to breastfeed to get bottles? Its called being prepared for all situations- pretty responsible i think.

wow this is the reason i dont come on this site much ill stick to twins and multiples section from now on im well aware i can breastfeed twins its not silly some people have problems breatfeeding for instant a friend of mine never planned on giving her baby formula she planed on breast feeding but unfortunatly her breast milk never came so she had to give formula and its not ridiculous that i didnt breastfeed my son because i was tired u wernt in that labour room or in hospital with me for a week in pain to see i didnt get and moments peace . i brought a breast pump and everythink i planned to breastfeed but i couldnt keep my eyes open , neither could my partner and unless the nurse was willing to stand thr holding baby on my boobs whilst i slept there was no way i could do it and i did state id like to breastfeed with twins theres many out there that wouldnt even consider that atleast im keeping my options open i know breastmilk is best espeacial iff thyl need time in nicu because of being born early xx

wow this is the reason i dont come on this site much ill stick to twins and multiples section from now on im well aware i can breastfeed twins its not silly some people have problems breatfeeding for instant a friend of mine never planned on giving her baby formula she planed on breast feeding but unfortunatly her breast milk never came so she had to give formula and its not ridiculous that i didnt breastfeed my son because i was tired u wernt in that labour room or in hospital with me for a week in pain to see i didnt get and moments peace . i brought a breast pump and everythink i planned to breastfeed but i couldnt keep my eyes open , neither could my partner and unless the nurse was willing to stand thr holding baby on my boobs whilst i slept there was no way i could do it and i did state id like to breastfeed with twins theres many out there that wouldnt even consider that atleast im keeping my options open i know breastmilk is best espeacial iff thyl need time in nicu because of being born early xx

Dont let one comment put you off this forum hun, usually everyone is really helpful and supportive of one another xx

Dont let one comment put you off this forum hun, usually everyone is really helpful and supportive of one another xx

i know thanks hun just right now my hormones are reaching its limit and seein comments like that just upsets me i was gutted i couldnt breastfeed with my son but i just physically didnt have the energy plus all my family live miles away so not like i could get the help i had to do it all on my own along with the partner . so i took my advantage to rest whilst i could . why not take advantage of midwifes to help out cuz as soon as u leave that hospital its all on ur own xx

what the hell???????????????

i too am having twins, in less than two wks to be precise and i am highly offended by this!!

do u have twins??? have u carried twins?? has yr consultant gone through everything that can happen when twins are born?? special care, lack of sucking, extreme tiredenss, possible csection, possible relapse i mothers condition which is worsened by feeding two babies, the cost of supplying those pre made bottles for two over a course of a few days??

it honestly boils my pee when people do this.unless u know someone personally and thier reasons for ff do not make assumptions and belittle them like this.

this was nt even aimed at me and ive not even had a chance to write my thoughts on the subject but i can not believe this has bn said to a mum to be.

as it happens my hospital started this last month, and it doesnt really bother me having to provide it, but the cost for two is going to be ridiculous, ill be looking at about two boxes a day if these two feed like my son did, he wasted most of the milk as he just wanted to suck. as it happens if they are in special care the hospital provide til u get on the ward.

i do think its the nhs saving money but providing that money goes to well needed resources then fair enough.

mommy 2010 hope you dont mind me sticking up for you there it just got me really mad.

yr right no one gives u this kind of shit in the multiples section.

mommy 2010 hope you dont mind me sticking up for you there it just got me really mad.

yr right no one gives u this kind of shit in the multiples section.

no i sure dont thanks i know this was meant to be a discussion on how people feel about hospitals not giving milk forumla anymore not there thourts on peoples descion to breastfeed or not . i know every1 probly hormonal and like to voice there opinions but when i do it i like to read before i press the submit button incase anythink i have said could affend anyone xx

u put it a better way than me thou and wow 2 weeks to go .i hope i last as long with my boys ;) x

actually its only 12 days now, a week on tuesday.

i cant wait, i never thought id get this far but pleased i have, just hopin they wont need special care.

as for the thread, im usually so calm but found that one highly patronising and think you deserve an apology from the poster.

theres lots of things people will disagree on and we all know ff and bf is the biggie but that was uncalled for.

actually its only 12 days now, a week on tuesday.

i cant wait, i never thought id get this far but pleased i have, just hopin they wont need special care.

as for the thread, im usually so calm but found that one highly patronising and think you deserve an apology from the poster.

theres lots of things people will disagree on and we all know ff and bf is the biggie but that was uncalled for.

aww well thyll be here soon enough and i have the same fears almost evey1 who has posted as said they have to go an have some speacial care some only a day or 2 some much longer , i can handle a few days but weeks id be so worried speacially seen as i have a toddler to look after to .

im not expecting an apologie tbh hun its ones opinion i just didnt like the fact i was giving my opinion on hospital not giving out milk anymore which turned into someones opinion on breastfeeding if id of asked for thr opinion i wouldnt of been angry but i didnt ask xx

When I had my daughter, I tried bf and it worked for a while, expressing so she could be tube fed it in SCBU. then tried to bf when she was well enough. This sadly did not work and she woke every 30 mins or so day and night to be fed! I had a tough birth and recovery and it was obviously my body's way of saying that enough was enough. This time I am going in with the same open mind that I had previously, I will try my absolute best to bf, however I have today bought a few premade cartons of Aptamil just in case. You never know what will happen at the time. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->