Hospitals no longer providing milk !!

When I had my daughter, I tried bf and it worked for a while, expressing so she could be tube fed it in SCBU. then tried to bf when she was well enough. This sadly did not work and she woke every 30 mins or so day and night to be fed! I had a tough birth and recovery and it was obviously my body's way of saying that enough was enough. This time I am going in with the same open mind that I had previously, I will try my absolute best to bf, however I have today bought a few premade cartons of Aptamil just in case. You never know what will happen at the time. X

my son would wake regulaly to evry 45-hr and dunno how true it is they say breastmilk doesnt fill them up for long periods unlike formula but breastmilk is best lol. so sounds like it has its advantages and dis-advantages (sorry not a great speller lol ) oh and my sons 2 next month and still has 1 bottle of milk in the night ive tried my absuloute hardest to get him to stop but no such luck lol its getting better thou it was 3 bottles x
sorry going slightly of subject here x

Hoping that this time I will be much healthier and prepared for bf, will definitely give it my all, having a fabulously supportive OH definitely will help massively, with the right support we women can do anything we put our minds to! Lol

I think it's great, the NHS needs to stop wasting money.
When my nips were bleeding in hospital they on call MW told me not to keep trying and offered me some formula. I was v. surprised when they didn't ask me to pay for it and carried on giving me free formula whenever I needed it. I was grateful but I couldn't help but think it was a bit daft when I would've just bought it had I been at home.

When I had my daughter, I tried bf and it worked for a while, expressing so she could be tube fed it in SCBU. then tried to bf when she was well enough. This sadly did not work and she woke every 30 mins or so day and night to be fed! I had a tough birth and recovery and it was obviously my body's way of saying that enough was enough. This time I am going in with the same open mind that I had previously, I will try my absolute best to bf, however I have today bought a few premade cartons of Aptamil just in case. You never know what will happen at the time. X

my son would wake regulaly to evry 45-hr and dunno how true it is they say breastmilk doesnt fill them up for long periods unlike formula but breastmilk is best lol. so sounds like it has its advantages and dis-advantages (sorry not a great speller lol ) oh and my sons 2 next month and still has 1 bottle of milk in the night ive tried my absuloute hardest to get him to stop but no such luck lol its getting better thou it was 3 bottles x
sorry going slightly of subject here x

PP is correct. Breastmilk digest much quicker than formula so they are hungry more often. One of the most common reason's mothers quit breastfeeding is cause they believe their milk is not satisfying baby, or they do not produce enough cause in the early days baby eats about 12+ times a day. Your literally stuck on the couch or bed all day and night long. But the problem is, most new mothers do not know that this is perfectly normal, and just about all new mothers that are breastfeeding go through this. Its very normal to feed so often. My son was on the breast every 30-90 mins for 45 mins at a time. The first 6 weeks I didnt get more than 2 hours of sleep at night until I bedshared and I got full nights sleep while he ate when he wanted too (pure bliss!! :)) So don't get down and think your not giving enough, cause you are if there are lots of dirty diapers and weight gain.
Its hard at first, but its normal:flower:
Which ever you choose is perfectly fine, but incase you really wanted to continue, I felt I had to make sure you knew what you went through was 100% normal.

When I went into hospital to have my son, I knew I wanted to breast feed so didnt even consider formula. If LO hadnt of latched then I probably would have sent OH out for some formula as I didnt even realise that hospitals provided it.

I think this is a classic example of people in Britain thinking that they are entitled to everything! I think if you look at the rest of the world we are bloody lucky to have the NHS...and yes we pay taxes but its those taxes that pay for your medical care...

I actually went into hospital with food in my bag...I didnt just "expect" to get fed. Its a hospital not a hotel.

If cutting out free milk means that the NHS can save some money then its a good thing. Im sure im not the only one that saw a lack of midwives when I was in hospital. They were so overworked and it meant that the aftercare was comprimised.

Surely you would rather have more care at the hospital...less waiting times for appointments....better care?????

Im sorry if this sounds harsh but you are only in hospital for a few days, I think its a bit tight to not buy it yourself? You buy it yourself when you get home so why not when your hospital?

The NHS will never win...

my son would wake regulaly to evry 45-hr and dunno how true it is they say breastmilk doesnt fill them up for long periods unlike formula but breastmilk is best lol. so sounds like it has its advantages and dis-advantages

I've nothing against people choosing to formula feed if that's what suits them best. And I especially understand why someone with twins would make that choice. However what you've just posted as an advantage of bottlefeeding is most certainly not a long term advantage. It may seem like that for the first few weeks but the fact that formula gives that 'full' feeling for so long is precisely why those who were formula fed are so much more likely to struggle with serious weight issues in childhood and adulthood.

As others have said, better that money is saved on things like this than on medical care/equipment :flow:

thats good to know about the breastmilk, i would have thought i was doing it wrong probably!!!

i agree, the nhs gets such a bashing and we are very lucky to have it. i know most people (including myself, i am also self employed and pay more than my fair share of taxes) pay their way towards it but the point is, if you dont you still get care. the first question after you have an accident isnt "do you have insurance?"

If the nhs doesnt claw back money it will go. i know that all of the people that moan about it (not just on here, i mean in general) would soon realise the benefits of it. i personally would rather they did this by cutting out non essential items such as free milk and nappies. at the end of the day if you cant afford a couple of days milk then should you really be having a baby? they arent cheap!

also - saying you pay x amount taxes a year which is more than the cost of my care means nothing. your taxes are for many many things. if the nhs went you would still pay taxes and probably no less than now. countries without a care service still pay taxes or they wouldnt have roads, public facilities etc. i really think in UK everyone wants the best of both worlds and its just not possible. we live in a civilised and well catered for country and the money has to come from somwehere to pay for it.

sorry rant over. i just think some views are so narrowminded and i for one feel lucky to live in a country that offers so much. its not perfect obviously but there are much worse places to be. ps - i dont work for the nhs, government etc :haha:

i think its a great idea!

i would rather the money be spent on better quality care for patients than handing out freebies!

It did say in the article that mums who choose to FF at that hospital will be given info and help with safe formula feeding techniques and preparation, and I know this is the policy of all UNICEF baby friendly hospitals as well- so stopping the free formula is not a step to vilify formula. They will still provide formula for babies that need it and in some areas formula is sold in the hospital shop too. I wish they would stop the free formula in my area as they have cases and cases full in the corridors and even some of the side rooms which could be put to far better use, I have seen firsthand that some mws because they have so much free formula to hand do push it on BF mums who may be tired or just because they judge the baby to be 'starving' with no medical basis for this, consequently everyone I know in this area has left the hospital combi feeding even though this was not what they wanted. If the staff did not have formula so easily on hand and had to write down a sound medical reason for it to be given and get a consent form signed in the case of mums who have stated they have chosen to BF then I do believe it would make a difference. I know some other hospitals a few miles away did have the same policies with regard to freely giving out formula and pushing it on BF mums a few years ago but now they are a lot stricter in their policies BF rates have massively improved. Oh and my local hospital don't provide meals to BFing mummies, even when my son was readmitted into SCBU they said their policy is to only feed mums on the maternity ward or parents staying in with their older kids on children's ward. The restaurant was 1/2 mile walk right at the other end of the hospital site I would have loved it for them to provide a meal for me :( xx

I don't think the hospital should have to provide milk, when you have a baby, you expect all these costs.

Kaysie Blossom was born at Chelsea and Westminster hospital in May 2008, and this was already in place. They had a room that had loads of sterlisers in, they had mw's to help you if you were unsure of what to do, this is MUCH better than just giving premade bottles and assuming Mum knows what to do when she gets home with regards to sterlising, making up bottles etc.

My only issue was that they didnt really help in situations that needed the help. One Mum planned on FF so brought all the stuff with her, had an unplanned section and it was just AWFUL to watch her struggling across to the sterlising room, stand and sterlisier etc just six hours after her op :( I had had a section two hours before so couldnt even help.

At the hospital I'm going to... if you choose to FF then you MUST bring your bottles, formula etc with you. There is a special room for sterilising and preparing bottles.

However, if you plan to breastfeed, they ask you specifically NOT to bring any bottles or formula as they believe that you might be more tempted to give in if it's there.

:)

My only issue was that they didnt really help in situations that needed the help. One Mum planned on FF so brought all the stuff with her, had an unplanned section and it was just AWFUL to watch her struggling across to the sterlising room, stand and sterlisier etc just six hours after her op :( I had had a section two hours before so couldnt even help.[/QUOTE]

That's aweful. It's like that at my hospital though with meals. They expect you to go and plate up your own from a room down the corridoor. Just leave your baby and hobble down there some women in pain and attatched to drips :-(. They bring you your meals on most other wards, it cant be that much more work for the staff surely. Luckily for me hubby bought in all my meals from home. xxx

My only issue was that they didnt really help in situations that needed the help. One Mum planned on FF so brought all the stuff with her, had an unplanned section and it was just AWFUL to watch her struggling across to the sterlising room, stand and sterlisier etc just six hours after her op :( I had had a section two hours before so couldnt even help.

That's aweful. It's like that at my hospital though with meals. They expect you to go and plate up your own from a room down the corridoor. Just leave your baby and hobble down there some women in pain and attatched to drips :-(. They bring you your meals on most other wards, it cant be that much more work for the staff surely. Luckily for me hubby bought in all my meals from home. xxx[/QUOTE]

wow, never heard of anyone having to go and get their own meals before! x

That's aweful. It's like that at my hospital though with meals. They expect you to go and plate up your own from a room down the corridoor. Just leave your baby and hobble down there some women in pain and attatched to drips :-(. They bring you your meals on most other wards, it cant be that much more work for the staff surely. Luckily for me hubby bought in all my meals from home. xxx

Yeah, it was awful. You arent meant to leave your bottles either, so she had to stand and wait whilst they were steralised, which took a while :nope:

I guess they think you are not ill, which is true on the antenatal wards (usually) and it is also usually true for the postnatal wards but sometimes people are ill after labour or have had major surgery, surely there should be exceptions. I remember being told I need to have lunch when I was waiting to labour with Honey and that I needed to go down to the antenatal ward to get it, I asked could my husband go and they said no, he wouldnt be served. So I went and got it, being in that line with happy Mum's to be, having my first contraction and knowing my baby wouldnt take a breath was horrific.

I guess that is probably going to be the biggest problem here, that people will all be treated the same but it shouldnt be a one size fit's all, type thing.

wow, never heard of anyone having to go and get their own meals before! x

I read a thread on here the other day, and it seems to be becoming more common :thumbup:

So you dont pre-order your meals any more? I'd hope the room wouldn't be far away from the baby's I'd not cope leaving a newborn with nobody watching him- at our hospital we are not allowed visitors during meal times x

So you dont pre-order your meals any more? I'd hope the room wouldn't be far away from the baby's I'd not cope leaving a newborn with nobody watching him- at our hospital we are not allowed visitors during meal times x

Where Honey was born you didnt, it was more like school where there was loads of different meals and they dished you what you wanted out.

On the antenatal ward where my LO was born you have to serve your own breakfast. Lunch and dinner are served to you. Same on the postnatal ward.

Ive just come out of hospital with LO and you have to go and get their breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's not really fair though as you have to get there and get in the line 'early' so LO can get a decent meal. I ended up bringing him his own food anyway but for the 1st day and night i couldn't leave. He ended up with some dry toast for breaskfat. I felt so sorry for the children that just had to make do with what was there. It hard to take meals in for them as there isn't anywhere you can actually make them something. Just a microwave and its not like you can just pop out and get them take away! Luckily we live 10 mins away.

They do provide milk aswel but we had our own anyway. The first day he wouldn't drink any and the 2nd day i had my mum sit with him while i drove to the shopping centre and got some ready made. The new SMA bottles with the teats really came in handy. So when they stop milk for newborns will they stop it on the children's wards aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->