Housing Benefit/ Income Support while pregnant?

bump230910

Mummy to a Princess
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Hoping someone can help me here as i am sooo stressed out :blush:

I lost my job end of 2009 and was looking for work. I found out i was pregnant January of this year and was looking for work up untill a few weeks ago but had no luck. I've been on Job Seeker's Allowance, but i'm signing off next week and going onto Income Support.

I live with my parents, but i really can't cope anymore! I need my own space, and so does LO. We argue quite alot so it will not be good for the baby when she arrives.

But the only way i am going to get a house is to move in on my own somewhere. I am just wondering whether you can claim Housing Benefit if you don't already pay rent somewhere (as i'm just living with parents). I have found a house which is around the corner from where i live so i know the area, which is £475pcm. But because baby is not here yet i'm wondering whether they will give me that much? if anything at all? As idealy i would like to move in before LO is born to get everything ready.

But i still don't know how to go about it? Do i just say i will have the house then apply for Housing Benefit? Or do i let them know about the house first and they will sort it out?

I'm new to all this, i'm so confused! It's really making me stress out!!

Any help or advice would be apprieciated, thanks girls xxxxxxxx

How old are you? If you are under 25 they will only pay for a room in a shared house for you until baby is born then you will be able to get money for a 2 bedroom flat, otherwise you will get for a 1 bedroom until lo is born. If you have found somewhere you want to rent the council will be able to pay towards your rent if you go and see them. They will have a maximum amount that they will pay per week towards your rent, if the place you find costs more you will have to make up the rest yourself

First of all you have to talk to the landlord and ok with him coz he'd have to wait a few wks for the rent, then you move in and claim asap, if it is adequate for your needs eg only a 2 bed they should pay most if not all of the rent but if it was a 3 bed they wouldn't pay it all hope that helps x

You might find that the landlord wants the first months rent up front along with the deposit, some landlords ask for 3 months rent with a guarantor if you are claiming housing benefit as well, I know as I have been really struggling to find a place to rent that accepts housing. Check with the landlord to make sure they will accept you and call your neighbourhood office first thing monday morning and they will do a benefits calculation for you so you will know your entitlement. You can apply for help with the costs of deposit and first months rent as well, speak to the benefits department and they will advise you of this. You may find that the housing department will only pay for a 1 bed flat until the baby is born. Hope it works out for you, I know how stressful it is. x

Hi. Put the postcode of the house you have seen into here to see how much you're entitled to... https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARateSearch.aspx?SearchType=PostCode

You need to choose the 'shared room' rate if you're under 25, or the 1 bed rate if you are over 25. When Bubs is born you automatically move up into the '2 bed' rate, but until Bubs arrives it will just be the first amount.

No need to tell landlords you're on housing benefit- just get a house (you will need to find your own deposit), and take the contract to your local council office and they will process your claim. Your landlord is never informed you're on benefits as they pay the rent directly to you, two weeks in arrears.

Hope that helps :)

This will also change in April next year as under the new government, they are drastically reducing Housing Benefit rates. :flower:

Hi. Put the postcode of the house you have seen into here to see how much you're entitled to... https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARateSearch.aspx?SearchType=PostCode

You need to choose the 'shared room' rate if you're under 25, or the 1 bed rate if you are over 25. When Bubs is born you automatically move up into the '2 bed' rate, but until Bubs arrives it will just be the first amount.

No need to tell landlords you're on housing benefit- just get a house (you will need to find your own deposit), and take the contract to your local council office and they will process your claim. Your landlord is never informed you're on benefits as they pay the rent directly to you, two weeks in arrears. Hope that helps :)

I wish someone had told me this, I have lost count of the times I was turned away because I mentioned housing benefit. Could have saved a lot of time and stress. :dohh:

^ I hear you!! It's a pain in the ass- I was lucky that a super helpful person at the council ran through EVERY little thing with me :)

you dont have to tell them but landlords insurance if different if you work to if you in house all day just like yours would be something to do with if someone in all day every day more chance of accident or claim ect

some landlords can get really mad if you dont tell them asx it can invalidate there buildings claim

council pay 4 weeks in arrears so if you can save the deposit and may be enough for at least 6 weeks rent give landlord 4 then keep 2 just incase it takes council bit longer to sort out mine took 6 weeks

i moved in and waited till id been there about 2 months then i told landlord and although he was not happy as didnt want dss he wasnt going to chuck me out

Have a look at Maternity allowance as well.... I lost my job on 31st dec 2009 and have just sent my forms off as I think I qualify for it, although not sure! If you've been working for 26 weeks out of the last 66 then you may qualify for it. It's £125 a week, or 90% of what you were earning, whichever is lower...

Thanks girlies, think i have a bit of an idea what i'm actually doing now haha. It's all so confusing! xx

No need to tell landlords you're on housing benefit- just get a house (you will need to find your own deposit), and take the contract to your local council office and they will process your claim. Your landlord is never informed you're on benefits as they pay the rent directly to you, two weeks in arrears.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with this!!! I feel this is really unfair on the Landlord, as they invest a lot of money in these buying and maintaining these properties and they need to have different insurance for a tenant who is on HB - lying about this would totally invalidate the insurance and leave the Landlord up the creek if anything went wrong and that would also impact upon you as you could lose your deposit.

Also, most Landlords will not let you move in just like that!! They will want at least 2 references, proof of earnings for the last 3 months, and if you're young/not earning, they WILL want a guarantor who is legally bound to pay the rent if you cannot and want to know how exactly you intend to pay the rent e.g Housing Benefit! You should also sign a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and all registered Landlords will require this stating the terms of your lease. You leave yourself open to a whole lot of extra problems if you don't do this! If you get a dodgy Landlord who doesn't want these things, chances are that if anything goes wrong with the house e.g your boiler packs up in the middle of winter and you have no hot water - they won't be found!!

Also, if they find out you've been lying to them, there is a good chance that you will get kicked out.

Disagree all you like, but legally you do not have to inform them- especially if you do have a guarantor unless it specifically says in your contract no DSS/inform if change of circumstances.

The CAB told me that it is a myth that landlords need seperate insurance for those on housing benefit; my own landlord and two family friends who are landlords all say the same. The reason they all agree most landlords say no DSS is due to the delay in getting the money; however if you as a tenant have your deposit and rent up front like anyone else, and pay on time like anyone else, then it makes no difference.

Hope that helps :)

this probably isn't the best way to go about it, i have a house that i have rented to several single mothers on benefits over the last few years, it hasn't caued a problem for me. however every time it has taken 6-8 weeks to process their claim, and then the money is paid 2 weeks in arrears. So your better off being upfront with the landlord so they know that your money is going to take a bit of time. Otherwise they may terminate the contract.

secondly, when obtaining insurance for the property, if the insurance comapny is not told the tenant is on housing benefit, then should something happen and the landlord ty to make a claim either for your things or theirs the policy would be void and they would not pay out, which could be very costly for you (i.e if there was a leak and your furniture was damaged etc).

The CAB told me that it is a myth that landlords need seperate insurance for those on housing benefit; my own landlord and two family friends who are landlords all say the same. The reason they all agree most landlords say no DSS is due to the delay in getting the money; however if you as a tenant have your deposit and rent up front like anyone else, and pay on time like anyone else, then it makes no difference.

It is not a myth, i did not inform them the first time as i was unaware that it mattered, when renewing the policy i actually read throuh the paperwork and it is a legal requirement to inform them that the tenant is in receipt of housing benefit. as a result my premium was increased. And insurance companies look into any claim carefuly, and especially so at rented properties, by not informing them everyone has the potential to lose out. Make sure you ask to see the insurance certificate as many landlords dont bother to get the right insurance due to cost issues.

If you have your own deposit then this will go along way towards a private landlord accepting you as a tenant.

xx

I was told by the majority of letting agents I approached that the reason landlords don't accept housing benefit is because they have had situations where the tenant has received the payment and not passed it on to the landlord. When the housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord, it was a lot easier to find housing where DSS was accepted. Another reason is that the process for evicting a tenant in receipt of housing benefit is more lengthy and difficult then if the tenant paid the rent themselves. With regards to the insurance side, I have never heard of this before and I worked in insurance for a number of years. I also have a flat that I have rented to a lovely girl who is in receipt of housing benefit and the insurers have never asked about housing benefit when a claim was processed. Perhaps this is something that only relates to certain policies/insurers ?

The CAB told me that it is a myth that landlords need seperate insurance for those on housing benefit; my own landlord and two family friends who are landlords all say the same.

Separate insurance isn't required, but a different policy often is. Every time we have got insurance quotes for our 3 properties that we have let we have been asked whether we are renting to DSS tenants, as statistically they are a higher insurance risk. We have then had to take out a slightly different policy to cover us, with a higher premium. As Emma1984 says lying about this would make our insurance policies null and void.

Guarantors aside, if you aren't in employment, Landords are going to want to know how you are going to pay the rent. Also, reforms are being introduced so that rent is paid directly to the Landord, so they will find out sooner of later anyway.

The CAB told me that it is a myth that landlords need seperate insurance for those on housing benefit; my own landlord and two family friends who are landlords all say the same.

Separate insurance isn't required, but a different policy often is. Every time we have got insurance quotes for our 3 properties that we have let we have been asked whether we are renting to DSS tenants, as statistically they are a higher insurance risk. We have then had to take out a slightly different policy to cover us, with a higher premium. As Emma1984 says lying about this would make our insurance policies null and void.

Guarantors aside, if you aren't in employment, Landords are going to want to know how you are going to pay the rent. Also, reforms are being introduced so that rent is paid directly to the Landord, so they will find out sooner of later anyway.

I think this needs to be done sooner rather than later. A lot of people are being refused housing because of their circumstances. Just because you have to ask for assistance with help paying your rent, it does not mean that you are going to withold the payment to the landlord. I am so angry that it has taken such a long time to find somewhere for me and my family to live, just because we will be having a portion of our rent paid for through housing benefit. To be told that landlords won't accept you due to the risks is insulting and upsetting. Its stereotyping people who do receive benefits, the majority of which need assitance due to poorly paid jobs, not because they can't be bothered to go and get a job. :growlmad:

I think this needs to be done sooner rather than later. A lot of people are being refused housing because of their circumstances. Just because you have to ask for assistance with help paying your rent, it does not mean that you are going to withold the payment to the landlord. I am so angry that it has taken such a long time to find somewhere for me and my family to live, just because we will be having a portion of our rent paid for through housing benefit. To be told that landlords won't accept you due to the risks is insulting and upsetting. Its stereotyping people who do receive benefits, the majority of which need assitance due to poorly paid jobs, not because they can't be bothered to go and get a job. :growlmad:[/QUOTE

I agree, a lot more landlords would be willing to accept it if it came directly to them. while most people would use the money for what it's intended, sadly not all do.

Unfortunately of the four people who i have had who recieved housing benefit, one of them did not pay me a penny and another did not pay me all of it. I had to wait 12 weeks before they would stop paying the total non payer and pay me directly, however, they won't reclaim any of the benefit already paid to the tenant so i lost that full 12 weeks worth of money and she got to keep it??

i'm sure you would agree this would be enough to put most people off of accepting tenants who would be paying by housing benefit. not me however lol. But my current tenant is the model tenant and has always paid her rent to me on time etc so i agree tarring everyone with the same brush is unfair, but having been in that situation i can appreciate why some landlords are wary.

x

I totally understand why some landlords are reluctant to accept tenants who are in receipt of housing benefit if they have had problem tenants in the past which is why the system is flawed and it needs to revised. I don't however think it is fair that everyone is tarred with the same brush. I have spent hours on the phone over the last few weeks to letting agents and have always been honest about our situation. I have explained that whilst we will be receiving some housing benefit, we will will pay the balance ourselves. I have offered to meet the landlord before any contracts are signed and I have a guarantor in place. What upset me was the fact that I was prejudged as a dishonest person by someone who had never met me. I am lucky to have finally found somewhere to live and I am hoping to move next week, but because of the delays due to peoples pre conceptions, I will be moving whilst 7 months pregnant along with my 2 other young children and quite possibly without my husband as he is working away for most of the summer. Not only this but I now have to change drs and midwives as no agents in my current area were prepared to accept us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->