Housing Benefit on part time wage?

mum2bee

mother of 1
Reaction score
Hiya all,

Hoping sum1 might give me some idea here, im a single mum with DD whos 4, shes in full time nursry and i work my full time job (40 hrs)into 4 days and go college the other day, as u can imagine its really taking its toll on me and starting to feel depressed. Ive asked work if i can reduce my hours and go part time (20hrs) ill earn 780 per month, would u say i would be able to claim housing benefit? Ive done the calculator and its says i am just really worried ive done something wrong and ill half my wage and not get anything and struggle :(

You should be able to claim. My OH works full time and earns £240 per week after deductions, I don't work. We claim working tax credits which are £59 per week and we have been awarded full housing benefit minus £11.58 a week because we have a spare bedroom. We got told we couldn't claim but I decided to claim anyway thinking they would say no. I was shocked when I got the letter to say how much we qualify for and had it double checked to make sure it was right.

I've recently gone back to work and earning half the amount of money a week I was on mat leave. My partner earns around £850 a month and I earn £220, our rent is £725, plus bills etc you can imagine we're struggling

My question is do I apply for housing benefit? Or will I get totally shut down?

We're desperate
The most infuriating thing is I know couples/mums that don't work and are better off than we are!

x

I've recently gone back to work and earning half the amount of money a week I was on mat leave. My partner earns around £850 a month and I earn £220, our rent is £725, plus bills etc you can imagine we're struggling

My question is do I apply for housing benefit? Or will I get totally shut down?

We're desperate
The most infuriating thing is I know couples/mums that don't work and are better off than we are!

x

Apply for it.. If they say no then at least you have tried. I was told we couldn't claim anything but I applied and we were awarded the full amount. We are actually better off now than we was when I was working which is backwards :/ x

I reckon you will. I'm on mat leave at the mo, DH just been made redundant. He just filled in a load of forms etc at we are apparently entitled to Job Seeker's, Housing benefit, council tax deduction and child tax credit (though I don't understand that!!)

I would apply and see what happens...! I know its all changed recently as when i was a single mum (2 kids) i worked 23 hrs a week and was not entitled to it. Reason being was i got £215 in ctc and working tax which counted as income. (i only earn £600 a month) this was 5 years ago though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->