Housing benefits cap, will you be affected?

6lilpigs

Reaction score
Will anyone out there be affected by the cap on housing and benefits that is being rolled out atm? In areas like London where the rent is very high, will you be forced to move areas?

Is the cap £500? I won't be effected, just out of interest. Xx

Yes, I think the cap is £500 a week which will include I think? child benefit, housing, tax credit, maternity plus some others. We arent affected here either luckily but I can see this hitting hard to some families!

Edit to say -Child benefit and Maternity benefits may or may not be included, my mistake, conflicting info on the net??

no idea if im affected, tbh i have no idea whats going on because ive lost all faith in the system since becoming a single mum. if it does effect me i'll be living on my mums sofa with LO.. :/

I don't think it affects me, I get about £150 a week housing right now but wasn't sure if all other benefits are included. Very much doubt they add up to £500!! I live in SE London in a 2 bed so I can imagine anyone in central London with a few kids would struggle.

It's such a strange concept to me, husband earns too much for us to get any benefits, but what we bring home after tax and insurance is less than £500 a week.

£2000 a month is still an awful lot, even in central London I don't think that's unreasonable, if your home is costing you more than £2000 a month and you need more than £500 a week help from the government then it only seems fair to me to move. I don't know anyone affected, I hadn't heard it mentioned in a longtime, I can't imagine all that many people will be.

If it just affects housing benefit weekly I can't imagine many will be affected but say its all benefits, then there must be people. I just googled and the LHA for a 4 bed house here is £400 per week. So if a couple had 5 kids they'd get that for a 4 bed house, then add on tax credits, job seekers, child benefit it'd go over £500 iykwim. It's mad though, I can understand if someone lost thier job and needed it for a short time to get back on thier feet but it shouldn't be a lifestyle choice.

no idea if im affected, tbh i have no idea whats going on because ive lost all faith in the system since becoming a single mum. if it does effect me i'll be living on my mums sofa with LO.. :/

May I ask why you feel this way? I have got a couple of single mum friends/relatives who, whilst not rolling in it, have got flats and enough to survive on plus the occasional night out.

If your post is finance related, are you claiming everything that you are able to? x

My mums affected by it, she's got to pay £80 a month towards her rent now. Hopefully she's not out of work to long, £80 doesn't sound much but it is :/

May I ask why you feel this way? I have got a couple of single mum friends/relatives who, whilst not rolling in it, have got flats and enough to survive on plus the occasional night out.

If your post is finance related, are you claiming everything that you are able to? x

yep im claiming all i can.
basically in my area you get a set allowance for what you can claim pcm towards housing benifit (im in private rent with a 6-7yr waiting list to be housed) so my allowance for a 2 bed flat is £750pcm. my rent is £700. they pay £644 pcm :/

so i have to find £56 pcm to top my rent up..

my incomings are £1200 pcm & outgoings £1194. - this includes all rent, bills etc. i cant afford to eat myself so i just eat LOs left overs..

that £56 would REALLY help me!

i dont rememeber my last night out - except family meals where my parents have always paid for us to eat. xx

basically in my area you get a set allowance for what you can claim pcm towards housing benifit (im in private rent with a 6-7yr waiting list to be housed) so my allowance for a 2 bed flat is £750pcm. my rent is £700. they pay £644 pcm :/

my incomings are £1200 pcm & outgoings £1194. - this includes all rent, bills etc. i cant afford to eat myself so i just eat LOs left overs..

i dont rememeber my last night out - except family meals where my parents have always paid for us to eat. xx

Wow if you pay 56 rent PCM and the rest of your bills add up to £1100? Are you sure your claiming the correct council tax benefit etc?

This is partly why I ask. With a 6-7 yr waiting list what will happen if people will need to leave even higher priced areas? Surely the landlords will put up their tents elsewhere so just spteading the housing bill out amongst the country so maybe not lowering the bill but displacing families? I can understand capping benefits but the housing costs are out of peoples hands a bit?

This is partly why I ask. With a 6-7 yr waiting list what will happen if people will need to leave even higher priced areas? Surely the landlords will put up their tents elsewhere so just spteading the housing bill out amongst the country so maybe not lowering the bill but displacing families? I can understand capping benefits but the housing costs are out of peoples hands a bit?

I agree. Its silly the way they are doing it because in my village rent per month is £240 for a large semi detached 3 bed house with garden. Yet a similar house in a city would be at least £600 up to probably £1200 or more. There should be a benefit cap but i think it shouldnt take into account housing benefit. I am in receipt of no benefits but do feel for those that struggle every month and with the bedroom tax and this the government arent easing poverty.

Is there anything you could cut back on or change suppliers with so that you can have some money for yourself?

Do you get your housing money 4 weekly? Because that shortfall could be because they pay you 13 payments a year, so in one month you get 2 payments. I have a shortfall each month that I top but then I save the shortfall for clothes/days out, birthdays and Xmas, months when odd bills come in etc throughout the year.

For a worker to bring home 500 a week after tax they would need to earn £30,000 a year. It seems a bit backward that you can claim benefits to the same amount...even more so that they have to cap it at that.

Wow if you pay 56 rent PCM and the rest of your bills add up to £1100? Are you sure your claiming the correct council tax benefit etc?

the outgoings include my whole rent (£700) sorry didnt make that clear. Council tax i have to pay £10 a month. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->