how accurate are ov tests?

rj84

Cautiously pregnant
Reaction score
Hi I came off BC in December - have had pretty regular AF since - varying from 36 days to the last at 29 days - but at least they are here. However, I've used Ovulation tests the last two months and not once have I had a positive result - I did think that I couldn't have AF without O. Anyone else have this problem and able t get PG or have come to any conclusions? very confused!! Am 27 on Wednesday and would've loved to be pregnant by then.
Thanks for your help!

You can definitely have a period without ovulating, that's very common and it's called anovulatory cycles (which I personally have myself and had to take a fertility drug called Clomid to force my body to ovulate and conceive my DS).

The tests are actually 99% accurate in detecting your LH surge, but that is of course only when they're used properly and assuming that your body produces a strong enough surge to be detected on the test. There is a lot of room for human error since you do need to make sure you're limiting your liquids and trying to hold your urine for at least 2-4 hours before testing, and also testing twice a day as you approach your possible surge so that you do not miss it. Some women do have a lower level of LH and may still ovulate but the test will not detect it, but I think that is rare. Have you tried the Clearblue Ovulation tests? You can do those with your first morning urine and it gives you a smiley face when you're fertile, that way there is no guessing at whether or not your test line is as dark or darker than your control line etc. It may take time for your body to begin ovulating after coming off the pill since the pill prevents you from ovulating, so that may also be the cause, but it typically does only take a few months for your body to take over producing the necessary hormones to ovulate, so I wouldn't wait too long before going to see your doc if you don't get a positive ovulation test within a reasonable time frame :D

Hope this helps :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->