How and Why Wool Nappy Covers work

LittlePants

Reaction score
I've been asked this so many times now, that I thought I'd post an explanation, as most people really can't believe that they do work! Anyway, here's how. Hope it helps some of you

Wool is absorbent, but absorbs very slowly. Because of the body heat of your baby, and the warmth of the wool, it also allows wet to evaporate, and this happens at the same rate as it absorbs. When evaporation takes place, the wet is turned into gasses. Most people think this will be steam, but in fact it's not. Steam is created when evaporated water condenses again, and this happens when the air containing the evaporated gasses, hits something cold, and there is enough wet in it to saturate the air. (This is called the dew point).

If you have a PUL wrap, the inside of the PUL will not let the wet get any further, so the evaporated gasses build up inside the PUL, and also because PUL has a cold feel, the saturated air will cause wet to condense again, and get absorbed back into the nappy. This doesn't happen with wool, because it is warm, and can breath, so "dew point" is never reached, and the gasses continue one their journey, unrestricted by the wool , baby clothes, bedding etc. It will finally condense possiby when it hits the window of your baby's room in winter, but basically the amount of wet in the air never gets high enough to reach dew point.

This evaporation also causes cooling in your baby, and that's why wool nappy covers keep your baby cooler than PUL.

Wool and lanolin are both self cleaning and anti-bacterial, and that's why wool nappy covers don't need washing unless they actually get grubby or soiled. They just need hanging up to air, and allow the lanolin in them to do its' work.

Re lanolising every few weeks, keeps the waterproofing and self cleaning properties in tip top condition. It is a simple procedure, although freshly lanolised wool will take a little longer to dry than just washing it.

Thanks for this - we have a couple of wool soakers now and I love them and recently was told that you can relanolise them with some lansinoh, about a pea sized amount (we have spare, yay!) and a tbsp of hot water and about 1/2 a tsp of baby wash then mix it and tip this in to a bucket of water and swirl the nappies around. Does this sound like it'll work? Really pleased if so, means i don't have to buy lanolin :D

I totally agree... couldn't believe it would work. I had to see it to believe. Now I am a convert :)

I love my wool shorties, bought them pre loved from here and i am looking to buy some longies but not sure what type of wool to buy or where to get new ones? I really want some soft wool as the shorties i have are really thick and well felted but they do leave marks around his legs. Anyone with suggestions please xxx

So is it just water that's evaporating and the "impurities" (urea, uric acid etc) stay as crystals or something in the nappy/wrap? Like when you boil salt water and the salt stays behind?

Thanks for this - we have a couple of wool soakers now and I love them and recently was told that you can relanolise them with some lansinoh, about a pea sized amount (we have spare, yay!) and a tbsp of hot water and about 1/2 a tsp of baby wash then mix it and tip this in to a bucket of water and swirl the nappies around. Does this sound like it'll work? Really pleased if so, means i don't have to buy lanolin :D

Yes you can use lansinoh fine for laonolizing nappies. Your method sounds mostly OK as well, but only dilute the emulsified lanolin enough to just cover what you are lanolizing - don't fill the bucket. And I always allow them to soak overnight - the wool needs time to soak up the lanolin - a quick swish will not allow it to absorb very much.

You can also now get Soluble lanolin, which is already emulsified, so really simplifies lanolising. You just add it to warm water and soak as before

Yes you can use lansinoh fine for laonolizing nappies. Your method sounds mostly OK as well, but only dilute the emulsified lanolin enough to just cover what you are lanolizing - don't fill the bucket. And I always allow them to soak overnight - the wool needs time to soak up the lanolin - a quick swish will not allow it to absorb very much.

I did think the quick swish part sounded off! Lovely, thank you :flower:

Oooh think I might take the plunge and try some wool as it sounds so good and looks lovely! xx

So is it just water that's evaporating and the "impurities" (urea, uric acid etc) stay as crystals or something in the nappy/wrap? Like when you boil salt water and the salt stays behind?

Yay! You've got it in one! That's exactly it. Couldn't have described it better myself !:happydance:

Took the plunge with wool! Bought 2 lovely custom soakers and they are lanolizing as I type! I'm trying the same method Rwhite was talking about. Hopefully they will be all set to go tomorrow when my fitteds arrive in the post! I'm excited :dance:

Thank you for this. I really want to try wool - where is a good place to buy in the UK?

How boosted does the nappy need to be - as much as with a PUL wrap or less? I currently use bamboo fitteds (little lambs and stretchies) with either 3 bamboo boosters (2 inside and 1 between the nappy and wrap) or 1 bamboo inside and 1 hemp between the nappy and wrap. His bum is ginormous!

The nappy doesn't need any extra boosting at all. It just needs to be absorbent enough not to be soaking, squeezing wet before you change it. For night nappies, if you're succeeding with a PUL wrap, then use the same combination under a wool cover, at least for starters. You may find you can reduce it a little bit, but start out with what you have used before, and judge by how wet the nappy is when you take it off, in comparison with a PUL wrap. I've always found the best combination for night nappies is actually 2 nappies, one over the other, rather than trying to boost a single nappy. That applies whether you use a wool or a PUL cover.

How do wool wrap's perform when baby wears a sleeping bag to bed?

They work fine in sleeping bags. As long as overgarments aren't tight enough to squeeze the nappy underneath the wool, any overgarments or covers will work fine (except PUL - that would annihilate the benefits of the wool:haha:)

Oh I love this, thanks for sharing the info, I'd never thought of wool covers before. Does anyone knit these themselves and have a pattern they can share?

Lots of people knit their own. If you google Free Nappy Soaker patterns, you'll find loads of patterns. Just make sure you use 100% wool, and NOT machine washable wool, for the best results.

Lots of people knit their own. If you google Free Nappy Soaker patterns, you'll find loads of patterns. Just make sure you use 100% wool, and NOT machine washable wool, for the best results.

Thanks for the reply,I've googled my little heart out and all the patterns seem really complicated (I have only just started knitting) and have just started a new thread to see if anyone has a pattern. Im so excited about these as nowhere out here sells anything cloth related and I think wool covers will be perfect in the summer heat.

In theory where would I buy lanolin?? From? And is there a certain type i should look for?

I was just talking about these I want to use over night.

Is it just the soaker? Is anything put in like inserts?

Never though of using Wool to be honest, never found wool when doing my diaper search, thanks for posting this... Now, to see if there is wool stores around me LOL!

In theory where would I buy lanolin?? From? And is there a certain type i should look for?
You can actually use Lansinoh, the stuff you put on your nips when first BF? It's pure lanolin and found pretty easily. :thumbup:
I was just talking about these I want to use over night.

Is it just the soaker? Is anything put in like inserts?
Wool is just the soaker/cover. You will need either fitteds, perfolds, or flats underneath. You won't need inserts :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->