How and Why Wool Nappy Covers work

Knitted and crocheted wool is very stretchy, so sizes for knitted covers will fit for a long time. My XS sizes will fit newborns up to about 6 months. If you're knitting your own, just choose the smallest size pattern you can find - it should fit fine. The thing is you don't need a close fit, as it's the nappy underneath which will do most of the work. Felted upcycled wool ones are not stretchy, so sizing is more critical.

Cascade yarns are good - they have several which are 100% wool and not treated to be machine washable, and a huge range of colours. Also the Artesano alpaca yarn is glorious - so soft! My personal preference is for double knit weight, although lots of people do use chunkier yens. I just prefer slimmer fit, and tightly knitted DK weight gives excellent results without being too bulky.

Loving this thread - only just heard of wool as a soaker/wrap, and kind of boggled at it. Your explanation is great!

I have a question - you mentioned it works well under sleeping bags/blankets, but what about with a swaddle? All three of my LOs loved their swaddle, some longer than others. I have done combination cloth and disposable, but am looking to go more weighted to cloth this time around. I just want to make sure I don't ruin the swaddle! Or should I just use the regular wraps until LO outgrows swaddle phase and then switch to wool?

Thanks!!

I'm not sure, but as long as the swaddle is as breathable as the wool, and it isn't squeezing the nappy area, it should be fine. If it's got polyester in it, it may not work, unless you can leave it open a bit somewhere. I guess it's probably a case of suck it and see!:shrug:

Hi, thanx so much for the info. I was inspired so bought 2 preloved wool shorties for night. Im just wondering as they r preloved how do i strip wash them to make sure they r clean for my LO?

Strip washing is the last thing you want to do, as all the lanolin in them will be removed. Lanolin itself is anti-bacterial and anti fungal, so you probably be best to just soak and wash in a good wool wash or delicate washing liquid, and then re- lanolize overnight.

i think i am going to bite the bullet and get one to try. I know of one that comes pre lanolized (sp).

Yes, it's fine if they are a bit big. Better than a bit small, and they are so stretchy the they fit with a lot of leeway. The important thing is to have a sufficiently absorbent nappy underneath - wool won't stop a flood, it just absorbs from the nappy, and then evaporates. I's also possible to try before you commit, and if you're not certainthat's a good way to go

Hi!

I have a quick question. I've been using Terry squares primarily which have worked really well under two soakers I've bought to try out. I really do love wool! The problem I have though is that my husband doesn't particularly like having to fold the terry squares we have so always reaches for our A Mama knows with a PUL wrap. Would the AMKs work under wool? The reason I was unsure is because the AMKs have a hidden layer of bamboo Velour laminate within them.. I tried one the other day underneath our soaked and appeared to work fine
He'd like me to buy more AMKs but I'm loathed to do so if they really arent suitable with wool as our little girl isn't getting on with the PUL wrap.

Thanks!

I'm unfamiliar with bamboo laminate, but it sounds as if it is water permeable, but very slow. Wool will work at it's best over plain bamboo or cotton, without the laminate, so it can absorb wet direct from the nappy. I am guessing here, but I think for overnight use, if you want to use the AMK's it should work to make them fully waterproof, provided the nappy itself (underneath the integral laminate layer) doesn't get to the point where it is completely saturated. Wool won't hold back a flood. It will only absorb from what is underneath. Your best bet may be to get something like Nature Babies big softies for your overnight nappies. There is no laminate in them, they are super absorbent and generously sized. If you used 2 of them (I find double nappies for overnight a far better option than trying to boost a single nappy) under a single wool cover, I am sure that would see you through a very long wet night!

Thank you for your reply! I'd read that people found AMKs good for day time use but not the best for at night. We actually have little lamb bamboos which I use at night time which I think are much better suited for the job of night time nappy than the AMKs. I actually tried one of the amks under one of our soakers and it worked really well. I just reread my original post and what I meant was we bought two soakers to try. Only use one at a time not two on top of one nappy hehe. X

LittlePants, I have a question for you. I have recently read of some other ways to lanolize, such as using a lanolin spray or rubbing with a lanolin bar. Are these as effective as the traditional method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->