How are u making Christmas dinner?

Kirstymum005

Reaction score
My LO is due on 21 dec and we wouldn't be going anywhere this Christmas for dinner because I reckon I'll be more comfortable at home. So I'm planning on throwing in a turkey in the slow cooker. It will be my first time cooking turkey this way so just want to pick your brains...how are you making Christmas dinner this year? And is everyone making a dessert?

I'll only be 20 weeks so it going go be no different and hubby and my mother also help out so it's not all in me. My eldest was born dec 12th and twins 24th nov via section but I still managed it, I tend to cook the turkey the night before so it's not all rush that day and last year we prepared all the veg etc the night before (was up mega late lol) so we only had to boil stuff up the next morning, I'm used to cooking so it doesn't seem too big a deal.

Desserts, we tend to but them rather than make, so that's really easy lol. Cheating I know but we always get really good ones.

I'm not. I figured I wouldn't want to cook a big dinner at 35 weeks pregnant just for me and OH so we're going to my parents :)

If I was making it though I probably would be lazy and get a frozen turkey breast joint. I like baking though so I might have made a cake.. or been lazy and bought one :haha:

Not much help as we are going to my OH's parents for dinner and my parents for tea haha x

I also had the idea of using the slow cooker as it will be much easier just doing potatoes in the oven. However we have decided not to have turkey as the cost for us two just isn't worth it (in our opinion) so I have got a large chicken and a small piece of gammon. I'm planning on cooking them both together all day christmas day (bout 7- 8hours) n have DH peal potatoes :winkwink:
I cheated with desert and bought a chocolate yule log. We always have icecream in the freezer to go with and I have a couple of tubs of chocolate anyway :winkwink:

I'll only be 12 weeks, so it will be a team effort between me and OH.

DS was born on 20th Dec, readmitted on 23rd and still in hospital on Christmas day. That year I had my Christmas lunch in hospital waiting for DS to go and have a lumbar puncture whilst OH and DD went to MIL's. We had brought a turkey and OH was gonna cook it but we ended up taking it to MIL's who cooked it. I had turkey sandwiches for a few days in hospital afterwards.

I doubt you will have a Christmas quite as horrendous as mine was, but my advice to anyone due around Christmas is have a flexible plan.

I'll only be 18 weeks at Christmas but I'm not planning anything fancy. We don't have any family close by either so it's just the three of us. Last year I did a roast chicken but this year I might do two cornish hens in the slow cooker. I've made it before and it's yummy. Probably do a side of mashed potatoes which is very easy and some veggies.

I started my Christmas baking today (first day I had any real energy) and if I do one cookie recipe a week I should have enough in the freezer stocked up.

We are having all of DH's family come down right after Christmas and my MiL and SiL promised to help with the food (I can see my MiL totally taking over and refusing to let either of us cook as that is what generally happens:haha:). I think I'm getting SPD this time around so no complaints here.

I will be doing full Christmas dinner for at least 12 and will be 34 weeks. I have a 25lb turkey ordered which I will stuff Christmas Eve and cook on Christmas day. Our family have an odd traditional stuffing which is basically breadcrumbs, onions, sultanas, shredded suet, desicatted coconut, glace cherries and parsley, sounds odd but its lovely. I'm making the stuffing tomorrow and freezing it :) Will prep the potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts the night before, cook cocktail sausages on the day and roast the potatoes etc.. For starters will have veg soup I will make in advance and freeze or melon. Dessert will be trifle I will make the day before or Christmas pudding and brandy butter (my brother made those) oh and I will cook the ham in advance too and freeze. The ham is boiled with onions, cloves, bay leaves and cider, then studded with cloves and roasted in a cider, brown sugar, mustard and honey glaze... Can you tell we love Christmas?

My only issue is I will need help lifting the turkey :)

I also did Christmas dinner the year I was expecting DD, she was born 4 days later :)

Wow all this talk about Christmas dinner is already making my mouth water:munch: I really don't know if baby is going to arrive before or after due date, but I reckon I will go buy the turkey and all the trimmings anyway and freeze it. We can always eat it after I leave the hospital. A Christmas wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't have a dinner! dH and I both love our food :happydance:
But like many of you's I will cheat and buy a dessert. I was never good at baking :dohh: A Christmas Yule log with custard...hmm... Damn how can I sleep tonight now thinking about that!

I will be doing full Christmas dinner for at least 12 and will be 34 weeks. I have a 25lb turkey ordered which I will stuff Christmas Eve and cook on Christmas day. Our family have an odd traditional stuffing which is basically breadcrumbs, onions, sultanas, shredded suet, desicatted coconut, glace cherries and parsley, sounds odd but its lovely. I'm making the stuffing tomorrow and freezing it :) Will prep the potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts the night before, cook cocktail sausages on the day and roast the potatoes etc.. For starters will have veg soup I will make in advance and freeze or melon. Dessert will be trifle I will make the day before or Christmas pudding and brandy butter (my brother made those) oh and I will cook the ham in advance too and freeze. The ham is boiled with onions, cloves, bay leaves and cider, then studded with cloves and roasted in a cider, brown sugar, mustard and honey glaze... Can you tell we love Christmas?

I also did Christmas dinner the year I was expecting DD, she was born 4 days later :)

And wow....can I come for dinner???!!:blush:

Now that is some serious ambition!

We are supposed to have a holiday party where I only need to make snack type things when I will be 37 weeks and I am considering cancelling it. I got tired just reading about your plans, and hungry. :haha:

Wow, I almost think it's kinda mean that a family would expect the pregnant/just had a baby lady to make the entire dinner. I would totally delegate the sides to other people and spread the work around. When I was living by family that is how we always did it. My grandma would do the turkey and everyone had to bring one side and one dessert.

I hope the relatives at least try to help you in the kitchen when they come over.

I will be about 38 weeks pregnant so I have told hubby that he can cook it:)

Lol I love cooking and if I can do it at 39 weeks I can do it this year. In fairness the year I did it at 39 weeks my mum had just taken ill so I tool over, she died just over 4 weeks later, so last Christmas being the first without her was hard so I'm all for going for it this Christmas, especially as DD will be more aware... Then we have DDs 2nd birthday on 29th Dec... No one expects me to, I'm insisting.. they can serve and clear up :)

At least they'll be doing something. ha ha I'd be putting up my feet and yelling out orders (no, the cups go on the THIRD shelf....put the pots over there!!)

We are booked to go to MILs so she will cook but my mum is on stand by as MILs sister been very ill & also SIL pregnant and due at new year so MIL may have to pull out.

My mum already had 12 adults coming so a couple more and some kids is no prob. She spent this week end preparing potato mash, carrot and swede mash for the freezer. Marks and spencer will provide pigs in blankets and other side dishes!

The year I was pregnant with my first, who was due January 2nd, I had about 20 people coming to eat for Christmas. As it happened, my son was born on December 13th, so I only had a baby to attend to on top of everybody else. Thankfully, some of the guests helped!
When I was pregnant with my daughter, again we had over 20 but that time, someone brought the starter,someone the cheese... we cooked the maincourse and the pudding only.
This time is going to be very different though!
We are going to rent a cottage in Derbyshire and we are goingto buy everything ready so we do the minimum amount of work:thumbup:

We will most probably go to my in-laws as that is what they said ... I think each family will just bring a side dish or a dessert Im not too sure yet what's going on LOL

but if we do end up at home DH will probably cook the main meal and I will do dessert and side dishes

oh and we dont have dinner we have it as lunch

I have no idea what our plans are but one things for sure- I'm not cooking Christmas dinner! Either my mum will or hubby- though he's never done a Christmas dinner he makes a delicious roast so I think he's up to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->