How are you nesting?

scuffer

Mum to 3 lovely boys!
Reaction score
For the first time in a pregnancy I am not moving house :happydance:

We rent our place but have become friends with the lovely people we rent off and they are relaxed about us doing things to the house. We came to an agreement with them about putting a fireplace back into the sitting room (it's a Victorian house) and today is the first time we've been able to have a fire! It's SO lovely. We also have plans to paint the sitting room, at the moment it's yellow, but it's going to be red.

It really feels like I'm managing to nest, as we won't be decorating a nursery or anything. The rest of the house is painted white and we have loads of bits of art work up so we're happy to leave it as it is. The baby will be in with us for the first few months and then will go in with our 15 month old so there's no nursery to decorate, so this is my bit of nesting and I'm loving it.

I've also been going through a bit of a clearing out stage and have organised loads of bits around the house.

So, what are you doing that feels like nesting behaviour?! :flower:

I decided to wash all the bedding at 65oC to get rid of any potential dustmites out of the blue.. :blush:

I took about three ikea bags of washing to the laundrette (fell VERY behind because of my sickness) as I wanted it all done on the same day and it wasn't possible at home. Got a bit paranoid that dirty washing would make me a bad person or something!

I decided that, despite only decorating the 2nd bedroom a matter of months ago, I wanted to take the new furniture out of there and have it in our room.. Soo that was new carpet, paint, wallpaper on one wall, curtains, bedding, extra drawers that matched etc etc.. And I wanted the TV on the wall and spotlights above the wardrobe so it looked like a room in a catalogue.. And our old furniture is now in the second bedroom but I won't be painting and changing the carpet again since that's all new! I may shift the layout around but I won't be buying anything else for it.

I decided the windows on the sides of the house needed to have nets that were triple gathered since we replaced all of the windows and those werent obscured glass anymore, so I went and bought more net (that matched the rest) and shifted the others around to the bathroom and kitchen windows which I didn't have net on before as I just used the blinds. We had all of the windows changed when I was about 10 weeks pregnant but it had been planned for a while, but I didn't actually decide for definite 'til we'd just found out..

Erm.. I bought new sofas today, and now want to change the curtains to match.. But they're dark brown leather recliners so nice and ideal for a baby.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :haha:

I want to properly steam-cleam the carpet on the stairs and landing.. (I go on random cleaning sprees now.. I think I want to put some power-foam on the rug now..)

I plan to change the worktops/tiles/floor in the kitchen (as changing the whole thing would be expensive!) and because of this I would need to put some laminate flooring down in the hallway too as the lino in it now goes through into the kitchen..

And at some point we'll need to do the 3rd bedroom as a nursery as at the moment it's just being used as a storage room for baby stuff!! Haha :dohh:

Hmm. Bless my DH for putting up with me :) But in all fairness it would've been done at some point anyway! I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten about though.. I keep seeing things around the house that need fixing and I just want to get to it straight away, but DH keeps putting things off! He also doesn't understand that I'm better than him at DIY as I was bought up with it - he'd rather do it wrong than have me do it (being female and all that, haha) so things take three times as long as they need fixing afterwards!! :dohh: Lol.

(Oh also "self-nesting" I suppose you could call it.. I got my nails done and hair cut on a whim, and have some home hair-dye sitting at home waiting!)

Ok I went on a bit there.. My apologies!! xxx

So far I just clean a lot more than usual. I think I have just been getting gradually better about cleaning for quite some time now, but now I'm a lot more meticulous. I vacuum the apartment every 2-3 days now when I used to only vacuum once ever week or 2. I'm finicky about washing our sheets frequently and making sure the laundry and dishes are kept up with. My superhero sense of smell probably has a lot to do with it. My husband probably thinks I'm hallucinating or making things up but I can smell everything now!

I've also been working on finishing getting our apartment furnished. We have lived here for a few months but we never have much money to spend on furnishing and decorating, but now it has become higher priority for me. I finally got lamps and nightstands for our bedroom, and there are just a few things that need to be done now before I am satisfied (entertainment center, end tables, a bit more lighting, and art). Even though those things aren't a priority for my husband who would rather spend the money on video games or "fun" things I'm overruling him because in my mind they NEED to be done ASAP, hehe.

I've cleared out the back bedroom of all the office stuff my boyfriend had back there, and soon I'll be bringing in a friend who is a good handyman (for cheap lol) to fix the giant hole in the wall that my boyfriend's computer chair left.

Before my baby shower (which might be around April/May), I hope to get the room painted the appropriate color... and I bought a giant roll of fabric that I'm using to make window curtains and a closet curtain for the nursery.

Vixiepoo you made me laugh, you are in mega nesting mode!

Oread, I know what you mean about sense of smell, mine is so sensitive, OH can't believe it! He sometimes leaves the little one's nappy in a nappy sack in the sitting room and I always know he's done it!

In my first pregnancy I re-decorated the whole flat and even attempted to bleach the ceilings at 3am .... the most extreme I have been with this pregnancy (my 3rd) is that Ive bought a new hoover!

I think my nesting got so bad in my first pregnancy that it was verging on a mental health issue!!

ive just washed all my kitchen cupboards, inside and out, and basically threw out its whole contents, blitzed my little girls room and banned her whilst i was doing so hehe! she apparently loves it though, shes 3! i wanted to carry on with the rest of the house but ive started to feel a pull in my stomach so ive sat down to write this and check bnb! when i was pregnant with amie, i painted my 3 bed victorian terrace from top to toe, took the kitchen out, changed the carpets and linos.. and everything had to be new, this time im not so bothered.. but with two on the way ive gotta pace my money lol!! im gunna paint the celings tomo though, they always look grubby compared to freshly decorated rooms x

ive just washed all my kitchen cupboards, inside and out, and basically threw out its whole contents, blitzed my little girls room and banned her whilst i was doing so hehe! she apparently loves it though, shes 3! i wanted to carry on with the rest of the house but ive started to feel a pull in my stomach so ive sat down to write this and check bnb! when i was pregnant with amie, i painted my 3 bed victorian terrace from top to toe, took the kitchen out, changed the carpets and linos.. and everything had to be new, this time im not so bothered.. but with two on the way ive gotta pace my money lol!! im gunna paint the celings tomo though, they always look grubby compared to freshly decorated rooms x

Good going! I'm glad you're sitting down for a rest now. I'm about to stand up and paint the sitting room even though I suddenly can't be bothered! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->