How can I...

ames_x

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Put my OH off weaning Kane early? We went to Asda today and was where all the baby food is, and he seen loads of food 4m+ and said

"Oh we can start him on them now!"

I would prefer to wait until Kane is 6months like the guidelines say, and because I'm thinking about doing BLW, OH isn't keen on this lol. I don't see the rush that he does :shrug:

I can't believe how much a 4month old can eat though, I thought it was just porridge you can buy lol... :blush:

Also wanted to add, I have nothing against starting weaning early :flower: x

I weaned Ryan early, and that was on advice from Health Visitors & GPs.. Ryan showed all the signs though, which was waking up early for bottles (it got earlier and earlier), draining 8oz bottles and still screaming wanting more etc..

I suppose you can always say to your OH that BLW is more healthier for them than jars and if you wean them too early (when they're not ready) cause more problems than good?

Is Kane showing any signs for weaning at the moment?

No signs to be honest, he's been hungrier for the past 2 days but he's only on 6oz, so I'd rather up that up before giving him food yet, so going to try him on 7oz from tomorrow!

I'd say tell him that the guidelines are 6 months, tell him the reasons why and then ask him to come up with 5 good, practical and sensible reasons why he thinks weaning earlier is a good idea and would be beneficial for LO. If LO isn't showing any signs of needing to be weaned early then I bet he won't be able to come up with anything! :D

Hey hun i would ask for your hv advice but if he aint showing any signs of needing weaning then dont bother have you tried the hungrier milk??

TBH, i only started weaning archie early because of advice he was draining 8oz screaming for more waking a lot and getting frustrated and grizzly because he was never satisfied. I dont really like the idea of baby led weaning though and have been starting with puree fruits and pureed prunes and stuff. The only pre made stuff i use is ellas kitchen as its all pure ingrediants and nothing is added to it and lo loves them he seems to love the more unusual ones like butternut squash etc...

Your lo could be going through a growth spurt tho by the sounds of it! Maybe give it a little longer?? Six months is a guideline tho for a reason, some babies are ready before, some after so give it some more time then see what you think. :hugs: :thumbup:

hmm your OH needs to do some reading!!
You don't just wean cos the food is available lol..men eh?! Sounds like my OH when every single biscuit/chocolate/cake has been devoured...he says 'well it was there so I ate it' honestly he should be so fat lol

I did wean just after 4 months, however Izzy wasn't just going through a spurt and the issues didn't go away for quite some time, she continued to guzzle ALOT of milk and wake at night for more until she was established on a decent amount of food....because I only started her on tiny amounts and gradually built it up. She probably wasn't on 2 proper meals until about 5.5 months.
I had planned to do BLW, but I decided that even if I could hold her off til the 6 months she probably wouldn't start eating enough BLW for a couple of months..and it just wasn't worth her stressing over it for that long.

Thanks girls!

It isnt just my OH though, its even my nan and auntie :dohh: I knew this would happen, everyone is asking me when he is going on solids I just really don't see the rush, esp if he doesn't need it yet :wacko: lol.

I'll stick to my guns :thumbup:

Thanks girls!

It isnt just my OH though, its even my nan and auntie :dohh: I knew this would happen, everyone is asking me when he is going on solids I just really don't see the rush, esp if he doesn't need it yet :wacko: lol.

I'll stick to my guns :thumbup:

Nans especially have some very outdated ideas!!

My nan is just as daft...apparently I should leave her in the play pen as long as possible...cos then they learn to walk sooner as there is no room to crawl!

Besides the fact that my play pen is 4 times the standard size and she quite easily crawl for England in it ...and I am not really feeling mean enough to just leave her in there anyway...who actually wants their baby in all honestly to walk too soon lol...the longer she stays crawling the better..I can keep up then!

I would let your OH read the BLW bible tbh.

Agree with Rafwife.

Btw, waking up early and draining 8oz bottles are not signs of needing to be weaned. HVs are often outdated in their advice about when to wean, due to lack of funding meaning that they don't get enough up to date training.

Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley. You can get it on Amazon, or in a good bookshop like Waterstones.

Ask him if he is willing to sit two or three times a day trying to get a baby to turn his head so he can geta miniscule amount of baby food into him only to watch it dribble out and ooze down his front. And then if he is willing to clean up the aftermath of a baby who decides he will only eat if he can hold the spoon which he then inserts in his ear, the front of his trousers, your nose etc etc. That might put him off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->