How confident are you in HPTs?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by 555ann555, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 555ann555

555ann555 Mummy to Gabriella

The reason I'm asking if you are confident in HPTs is that I tested with my hubby this morning on a CB digital and an FRER and both came up positive, but he doesn't think we can trust them, and won't let me get excited until a urine test has been tested by the hospital lab.

Now I should say, he'll be taking my sample into the lab tomorrow to have it tested because that's where he works, and so I can sort of understand why he'd have a lot of faith in their testing processes...

But all the reading I've done says that if you get even a faint positive then you're pregnant, and there was no mistaking the "pregnant 1-2" on the digi :rolleyes:

I think secretly he doesn't want me get my hopes up in case I'm not pregnant (though he has promised to bring home another sample bottle and test form for the next day if it does turn out negative).

Did any of you have problems getting your OH to believe the test results?

2. Cookie82

Cookie82 Active Member

Yeah I had exact same problem, he kept saying are you sure these cant be wrong! That was after I had done 3 different ones lol. It took him a good few days for it to sink in.

Congratulations x

3. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

The doctors use the same urine test strips that you use at home. The digital is actually better than what they have at the doctors. Tell your hubby you're pregnant, no denying it! All my husband needed was the second line. We didn't do a digital or go to the doctors office to confirm, just booked an appointment with the midwife.

4. ladypotter

ladypotter Three Girls!!!

umm....your preggers!!! hahaha... :)

5. Luna

Luna Mum of two

They are pretty accurate - the lab will simply quantify the hCG for you (i'm sadly a doctor ahem...). Congratulations!

6. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

False positives are extremely rare, and the chances you'd get one on two separate brands of tests are even slimmer.

That being said, congratulations. :winkwink:

7. punkin

punkin Pregnant - 1st Tri

False positives are extremely rare. If the test is read after the instructions say not to read it, like if it says "Do not read after 10 minutes" and you read it 20 minutes after testing, that's when you're likely to get one. False positives are usually evaporation lines, which don't occur with digitals.

Congrats, you're preggers!

DH was the same way. I took 4 tests, all different kinds, and he still asked me if I was sure "because you know, sometimes those things have false positives." <--- his words, not mine haha

8. knightowl82

knightowl82 Very newly pregnant!!

my FDH kept asking me if there was any way my mind could convince my body to start producing hcg...um...yeah, I don't think even my all mighty and powerful brain could do that honey...lol

9. Ragina Phalan

Ragina Phalan Well-Known Member

congratulations!!!

10. diane60f

diane60f Well-Known Member

very confident in HPTs.

they're bette than hospital ones b/c they are very careless about interpreting the results...speaking from experience. :)

11. curlykate

curlykate Devin's Mommy

You're more likely to get a false negative from testing incorrectly, or too early then a false positive.
    My OH didn't believe it when I told him over the phone. He asked every question he could think of, including "what colour are the lines?" I told him purple. When I tested that night in front of him to prove it, he gave me shit cause the lines were blue. I had used a different brand. Men just don't understand these things!

12. teal

teal Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

I do have a lot of faith in HPT's but I tried not to get too excited until my doctor confirmed it! x

13. kristen77

kristen77 Well-Known Member

very confident - you're def pregnant!!! congratulations!!!!!

xx

[​IMG]

14. AtomicPink

AtomicPink Well-Known Member

Congratulations - sometimes its just hard to sink it but after those tests I think you are 99per cent safe to assume YOU'RE PREGNANT!

My OH refused to believe the tests until I got darker lines and the CB digi went up by a few weeks. After all the trouble we had, we didnt want to get our hopes crushed.

Congratulations again!

15. Beautywithin

Beautywithin Mummy of two

Congrats Ann!! x

16. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

I would be very confident in 2 positives from 2 tests.

I just did home tests. No tests from GP / Chemist / Hospital.

17. chele

chele Mummy to Max & Hayden

Congratulations

My husband thought HPTs work like OPKs in that it has to be a dark line. So it took 3 tests and me sitting him down to explain that a line on an HPT no matter how dark or faint means you are pregnant

Sometimes they are just shocked too. After all it's a life changing moment!

18. BabyDancer34

BabyDancer34 Preggers with #2!!!

Very confident with HPTs. Alot of the time in the UK you have to be as Drs won't confirm it! When I went to my Dr he didn't even ask me if I'd done a test until I was just walking out the door and told me they don't do tests because HPTs are so accurate!

Congratulations my lovely .................. you're preggers!!!

19. kermie219

kermie219 Well-Known Member

My husband insisted that he didn't see any lines and would NOT believe it until I showed him the digi:) lol they are so weird sometimes haha I do not doubt that you are pregnant though so congratulations!!! :hugs:

20. alibaba24

alibaba24 Well-Known Member

i trust them!! sometimes you can test too early but its very rare to get a false positive....Also the ones they use at hosps and docs are the same as the ones we buy!

your preggers!