• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How cruel would it be to call our daughter Olive with our surname??

ttclou25

Reaction score
So as the title says we love the name Olive but my married name is now 'Green' So she would be Olive Lilly Green as a full name

'Olive Green'

I sway both ways with this name (as we have another i like too) but so many friends and family keep saying noone uses their full name often enough to care and plus she'll marry one day and it will most probably change. And because so many people are egging me on to use as they love it, it does make me think.

So i want honest opinions (not so much on the name if you like it) but as a full name if you think she'd be teased - just interested from people i dont know???:flower:

personally i wouldnt have Olive Green ...

but i do love the name Olive. And if having Olive Green isn't a problem for you, you should go for it

xx

I would say Olive Green is a no-go in my opinion. And I disagree with the ppl telling you that first/last names are not often used together?? :shrug:

I like it! [I also love Olive!] I don't think it's a big deal at all! Go with what you like! :)

I love Olive, but honestly dont know...I had a friend named Rod Fisher, and everyone said "oh like fishing rod??" and he could care less. You could teach her to own her name and love it!

i think it is fine, go with what would you like :)

I wouldn't. She'd get called green olive. I know its annoying, our surname is Paine and I've had to give up on a few names. But I don't think your daughter would thank you for calling her Olive Green.

I love the name Olive!! So cute!

It is definitely a bit different with Green as a last name. But, I'm a teacher, and I see all kinds of names that kids own and love...everything from Mercedes Benz to Brock Lee. I think it is just a matter of making it your own, and being proud because it is who you are. : )

Not a fan.. mil loves that name, we thought she was joking!! I may be biast though because i do not like olives, at all, ate way too many as a child. That beimg said Olivia is gorgeous, may be popular but its timeless as well. Xx

I actually don't think it's that big of a deal? :shrug:

But whoever told you first/last names aren't often used together is false at least in the US that's usually how you identify yourself. The middle name is not often used together but definitely first and last!

I personally think it flows nicely and doubt it will get teased but she will probably end up pretty popular with an awesome name like that ;) I know a kid named Samuel Adams, no joke, and he never got made fun of but got lots of "oh awesome name!" comments.

I like it, but I wouldn't.Kids are so cruel and i couldn't imagine what she may go through.. But it is a beautiful name :flower:

No I definitely wouldn't, when picking names for the boys I meticulously thought of any jokes that could happen, spellings with initials etc, I think the fact you're questioning it now should give you your answer. Such a shame though as Olive is so pretty I've not really heard it used for a while with Olivia being so popular now.

It is kinda like Kanye West naming their child North although North is not really a name like Olive it has a second meaning from day one iykwim? From my experience most kids don't want a stand out name in that way.

Its really interesting to see such different opinions. I put it on my facebook and quite a few people said go for it, but i prefer the honesty of people i dont know here that also say no way and the reasons why.

We have a couple of other names in the pipeline Isadora and Lottie we just cant seem to cross off Olive just yet - but not sure im brave enough to do a Kim and Kayne ;)

I always think the "kids are so cruel" line is interesting- because are they REALLY? I dont know, I dont ever remember hearing people tease about names or being teased about names, or doing the teasing. Maybe I grew up at a nice school, but it just didnt happen! I really think if you love it, do it! I like Lottie a lot though too....

I love it, and I think if kids are going to be cruel then they'll be cruel, no matter what name your child has. My name is Helen, I got called 'Helen Melon', there's nothing funny about Helen but they found a rhyme lol. If a name is too normal it'll be 'four eyes' or 'shortie' or 'ginge' etc etc, there's no point, in my opinion, to change what you call your child based on what bullies might say. Much better everyone teach your children not to bully!

Lottie is super cute :) I'm another who wouldn't go with 'Olive' with your surname.

I always think the "kids are so cruel" line is interesting- because are they REALLY? I dont know, I dont ever remember hearing people tease about names or being teased about names, or doing the teasing. Maybe I grew up at a nice school, but it just didnt happen! I really think if you love it, do it! I like Lottie a lot though too....

Yes they are cruel, really. I grew up with girls with names like Love and Precious and they were made fun of. Could it have been just my generation, maybe..I am old 44 :winkwink: I think the name is adorable, I would just be careful that is all.. Ultimately it's the parents choice.. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->