• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How cruel would it be to call our daughter Olive with our surname??

I agree that some kids are mean, and will poke fun no matter what. But I also agree with JessicaMarie in that MOST kids are actually pretty nice! In a decade of teaching, I've had some absolute stinkers, but for the most part, kids do a pretty decent job of sticking up for each other and being kind. And I teach middle school kids lol--the ones with the worst reputation!

And really, the more I say Olive Green together, the cuter I think it is. : ) I'd say go with whatever you like!

It really comes down to this - If you love the name - Someone else's opinion shouldn't matter. Whether its people you know in real life, or on here (no offense ladies!). I personally love the name Olive, and I don't think it matters what her surname is, unless it was Olive as well. You could always use Olivia and call her Olive as a nickname if it bothers you that much!

Kids are going to be made fun of for anything. The color they like (I'm serious), the way they do this, or the way they do that. If YOU want to name her Olive, name her Olive. Its a LOVELY name. Its no one else's choice but yours and your OH!

I wouldn't put Olive with Green. As someone else said, kids (and adults!) can be cruel about all different things, but you don't want to put a reason right there.

What about a variation like Olivia?

I wouldn't use it (although I love the name Olive), it is on par with North West for me and I wouldn't want a name that other people automaticaly made the same annoying jokes about.

How about make her official name Olivia Green, but nickname her Olive? This way she probably won't ever be called Olive Green together, but you can still enjoy the name Olive :) Just a thought.

How about make her official name Olivia Green, but nickname her Olive? This way she probably won't ever be called Olive Green together, but you can still enjoy the name Olive :) Just a thought.

I think this is a great idea :thumbup:

I guess I'm the minority here but I love Olive Green!!! I think that it's an adorable name and reminds me more of a nature baby than a green olive.

That being said - I do like the idea of Olivia Green. Then just call her little Olive anyways :)

I was going to say go with Olive until I read that you also like Isadora. I completely love that name! And I love both nicknames Issy and Dora, I think it's a beautiful name.

Go with Isadora Lilly Green. Gorgeous!

I think Olivia Green, nickname Olive is a perfect solution! :thumbup:

I guess I'm a weirdo, because I actually love that her name would be Olive Green...it's a pretty color! I knew twins named Dusty and Rocky Rhodes and they absolutely OWNED their names. I work in a school environment where kids have incredibly...creative...names, and not a single one is made fun of. Kids simply don't think that way. The worst they would do is say "isn't that a color?" and be done with it. :shrug:

We've chosen Kella as our daughter's name, and my family has been very clear in their distaste for it, with my mom being so crass as to calling her "Helen Kella" but I just respond with "I hope she's that smart and charitable!"...adults can be so much crueler than children! I feel like some of these comments about the kinds of names your DD could be called are evidence of that fact.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I also went to school with an "Angel Butts"...now her parents were cruel. Any name is better than that.

I guess I'm a weirdo, because I actually love that her name would be Olive Green...it's a pretty color! I knew twins named Dusty and Rocky Rhodes and they absolutely OWNED their names. I work in a school environment where kids have incredibly...creative...names, and not a single one is made fun of. Kids simply don't think that way. The worst they would do is say "isn't that a color?" and be done with it. :shrug:

I totally agree with this, whats the worst they can say, even if she does get teased, "ohhhh you're named after a colour", who cares?!

Olive Green is lovely :)

I wouldn't do it. Not because of mean kids, but because she'll spend her entire life hearing the same well meaning but stupid joke every time she introduces herself. It kind of sounds like something from a comic book. And since Olive doesn't really have any standard nicknames, she doesn't really have a fallback if she wants to avoid it. And I definitely wouldn't count on her changing her name when she marries - more and more women aren't, and I'll be surprised if that trend doesn't continue.

I think Olivia would work, and the other names you're considering are also lovely.

Olive is one of my favourite names. I don't think it's bad tbh. I think it's worse when people have the colour first. I've seen a Scarlett Rose which I find odd.

My sister has a name that's two colors. I was against the name when it was still being discussed, but It really isn't that big of a deal anymore. She hasn't gotten to the school age yet, and I'm sure kids will say stupid things, but honestly if it's not the name it will just be something else they find. Just how it will be!

I really don't see the problem. It's a beautiful name, there's nothing nasty or hurtful people could say about it :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->