How did you decide your nursery theme?

Eniala

Reaction score
Did you have a theme picked out for a boy and a girl, or did you decide what to do after you found out the gender (if you found out)?

I went with a jungle type theme for my boy, which I know sounds fairly common, but I did it in a very different way. I didn't want to do anything too baby-ish, as I didnt want him to outgrow it and have to change everything. I am loving how it is turning out! I'll post some pics after my baby shower since my MIL bought the bedding set and I won't have it until my baby shower next weekend.

I wanted to do something with birds if I had a girl.

Once I found out I was having a boy I started really looking at crib sets online. I found one I fell in love with immediately and so I knew what I was going to do :happydance: It's basically transportation, cars, taxi, buses etc, but they all have little animals driving them and the colors are brown, lime green, and blue. It's perfect!! I love it!!

With dd1 we decided once we knew she was a girl. We had to wait to buy our new house to odo it and make sure furniture would fit etc. She was born a few weeks after we moved in so it wasn't quite finished until after she was here - the carpet was due to be fitted the day I qas called into hospital!

This time we decided on themes before we found out. To be honest we kind of went for our tastes. Dd1 has roses, polka dots and pastel colours - cath kidston sort of stuff.

We were going to do a comic book theme if baby 2 was a boy, as dh is a fan and had lots of stuff in storage that we could have used and added to the room as the baby got bigger.

As this one is a girl too we've tried to keep it equal to dd1's but balance out that she has a smaller room. The theme is kind of girly princess but no characters. There's a chandelier and classic white furniture with pink accesories.

Both girls have blossom tree wall stickers ordered. For the smaller room we have just branches and they'll hopefully make the two rooms connected.

We didn't want anything for either room that they would outgrow too quickly. Especially as we are still trying to decorate other rooms in the house for the first time!

When we found out we were having a girl we just knew what we wanted. Me and my oh had our first holiday in Marrakech a few years ago. It's where we truly fell in love with each other, and fell in love with the city. We didn't want anything too babyish, so have gone with a morrocan theme. Lots of rich colours, oranges/reds/purples, drapes and voiles, and lanterns. It's not quite finished, but its looking great and she won't outgrow it. Our walls need replastering, so there's only one wall we can paint, hence the voiles and drapes to add colour x

Team yellow so pretty restricted. Went for jungle theme!

I knew I would do airplanes in the appropriate colors for either sex. Since we ended up having two boys it made it a bit easier since I could buy preprinted things (they don't sell pink and purple, so I would have had to paint them myself and make things).

I found a bunch of prints by a particular artist on Etsy. I bought 5 of them and designed the room around those. I have to do custom bedding - like dyeing crib sheets, and she also had fabric at spoonflower so I'm making a bed skirt and basket liners, and did the letters out of that.

We did a winnie the pooh theme after finding out were having a boy.

I fell in love with a crib set, and picked paint colors to atleast semi match, found stickers to match as well, and just went with it! We did dinosaurs by the way :)

We went for a classic Winnie the Pooh theme, would have had if we were having a girl too.

I don't care for themes/characters, so I went with colors (pink/white/aqua) and varying patterns. The room will transition well after she gorws out of the baby stage.

Before we found out the sex (which I was obsessing over), I would go on Pinterest and look up ideas for nurseries and pinned both boy and girl themes I liked. For a boy, I liked this navy and white striped set with a crocodile from Pottery Barn Kids. For a girl, I had no clue. When I found out we were having a girl, I started looking for something more specific. I found a bedding with these cute little owls and birds and fell in love! We just started the nursery yesterday :). I got vinyl wall stickers (a big tree that matches the bedding with little owls and birds) that I'm really looking forward to putting up. I wanted something she could grow into too so everything I chose could easily be used for a long time.

I don't like themes, characters etc. I've just went for simple blues and whites. I don't care if he outgrows it in a year or so, we'll see what he likes then, what his personality is like and what he's interested in and redecorate. I wanted the nursery to be quite chic but reflective of the fact that he's a baby. I like neutral shades and don't like bold colours so thought I'd have the nursery in keeping with the rest of the house. Plus, I've found it sooo much easier to buy stuff for it x

We went with bright Winnie the Pooh because ours will have to share a room and my DD likes bright colors.

We decided based on what each baby "felt" like to us. My first baby seemed like the monkey type, so we did monkeys. Ya know what? It suits him perfectly, and he LOVES the monkeys. With my baby, we chose a Mickey theme, except we decided on one that doesn't sell in stores so it's completely original. We were doing Mickey whether it was a girl or a boy. Same with the monkeys/jungle stuff.

Don't really like baby themes, so when I found out it was girl I decided on accent colors in lavendar and light green with a small bit of pink mixed in. I kept the walls neutral. Didn't bother with a bedding set since they can't actually be used (or wouldn't be by me bc I won't have anything in the crib but a fitted sheet) , so I did get some cute fitted sheets in those accent colors.

We went with an arctic theme for DS. DH basically decided he wanted to do something that would have penguins.

We had an animal (all different) theme for our DD for the first couple of years. She now just LOVES animals and wants to be a vet (she is 5 so will probably change dozens of times yet). This time around with our DS, we are going with a jungle/safari animal theme. We figure there is a chance the animal theme contributed to her caring nature, then its worth a shot with this child too.

I fell in love with some fabric and used the colours from that. I didn't want a baby theme room so it's more educational with numbers, letters, animals etc. I think it should do for a few years.

I had a tub of cream paint, and we found green gloss in the garage from the last owners so went with that.............cheap skate that I am. i had cream last with DD and figured why not, not like they really care early on and when baby is here I can think of a better theme and get it done properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->