How did you stop smoking?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
This is really bugging me now. I feel guilty everytime I have a cigarette and I have a cough at the minute, so it's making me go into coughing fits which really aren't nice, and I end up pulling muscles from it.

I've tried nicotine gum but its not strong enough and makes me want a cigarette :( I just don't have the will power to just stop.

How did you give up? and any suggestions for me?

Ask your doctor or midwife for help quitting, or look up the nhs quit smoking websites and see what they offer you.
I know its hard, ive never managed to totally quit, i just cut down loads, i hate myself for it, but i get so stressed out and im round my kids all the time, so they get the blunt of my mood swings.
I found making a no smoking in the house rules helps with cutting down because its so cold outside and it puts you off going for one.

The only successful way I quit(after many failed attempts) was to go cold turkey. I threw out everything! Every last lighter, ashtray , match-- anything related to cigarettes. Hardest thing I ever did but the best choice I ever made.

I admit, I'm still smoking, I'm down to about 3 a day, but its so hard, MIL&FIL just bought me back some fags from Spain(didnt no I'm pg), but only 40 so after these are gone....no more! Cold turkey for me after them

theres so so many things u can take for quitting, even if u cut down first, i cud cut down but dont think i cud stop, or smoke silk-cuts :) GL

I'd say go cold turkey, it's what I'm doing and so far so good. Cravings tend to only last for 5 minutes and if you can withstand that you can easily do it.
I know once little one's born I'll still have the occasional, mostly cause I enjoy the occasional cigarette and don't see a problem with it as long as I'm not harming my baby!
xo

i just stopped like that after about a week of finding out i was pg. going cold turkey is the best way..

I know going cold turkey doesnt work for some people, it didnt for me but i got there pretty quickly,

I did what i could to make smoking as awkward for me as possible, i banned smoking from the house, so if you want to smoke youve got to go and stand out in the cold.

You could buy 10's instead of 20's and set yourself a certain amount each day, put them aside in a packet and once there gone, there gone. Then just reduce it down until you stop.

I know its not easy, so good luck hun!!

i was just able to quit cold turkey. i tried multiple times while NOT pregnant, and never had luck in doing it... but, after i found out, i just did it. although, that was always what i told my mother when she harped on me about smoking... i told her over and over again that i'd quit when i got pregnant!!

good luck! i know it's tough!

I was also still smoking about 3 a day at 4 weeks, after that i stopped smoking during the day and had only 1 a night for 3 nights, then i went cold turkey. You have to be stern with yourself and i agree chuck out all the lighters ashtrays and of course NO smoking in the house by anybody. My Oh is working really hard at quitting, he has switched from 10 mini cigars a day to about 2 rollies smoked in bits and pieces. He smokes outside and has a jumbo box of tic tacs! It can definitely be done, go for it! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->