How did you tell your child you were expecting?

May55

Reaction score
Or how WILL you tell them? ..So im starting to think ahead...My 4 year old has been asking for a baby for 2 years..and we have really been trying that long, now it finally feels like it *knock on wood* is happening! I get emotional thinking about telling our son. We wont tell him untill 12 weeks for sure, ive got him a shirt that says "worlds most awesome big brother"...I just dont know how ill even tell him. He is our baby, a very big mamas boy and I cant imagine actually saying the words to him. How did you guys do it? How do you plan on doing it ?How did your little one react? TIA

We have a 3 year old who often asks if she can have a baby sister (not so keen on the idea of a brother!) so I'm sure she'll be excited. We'll show her the scan pics after our 12 week scan and explain that mummy has her baby brother or sister growing in her tummy. We also have the book "theres a house in mummy's tummy" to read with her to help her understand and give her the chance to ask questions. I'm very excited about telling her! Definitely wait until after 12 weeks though, I was pregnant last year and we told her early and then had to explain at 11 weeks when I miscarried that the baby wasn't there anymore. That was heartbreaking, I hope she's forgotten about it but I'm a bit worried she might ask about that when we talk about this pregnancy.

My son is 3 and a half and he doesn't understand things anywhere near at the level of his peers, he came with me to a recent early scan and I said "look it's a baby" and he kind of went "yeah baby" but obviously that doesn't mean much when they're looking at some black and white shapes...!
I won't be properly "telling" and trying to prepare him until much later on. Probably when I've got a bump that is noticeable and strange to him. I think if they're younger than like 5 or 6, a pregnancy is just too long to wait if you tell them early on. They're either going to be excited in which case time will drag for them, or they're going to be anxious in which case they'll have a long time for that anxiety.

Our daughter is 2 so since I found out I was pregnant I've been telling her there's a baby inside. She's starting to rub my tummy and put stickers on it:haha: But I don't think it's quite clicked yet that she's having a brother or sister :)

not planning on telling her for another few months, probably when i am around 5/6 months. for no reason than I think it will be ages for her to wait! but if I need to tell her earlier we will, and yes will also get a book to explain x

My son knows it takes long, we have had pregnant friends and he was so excited about the whole thing. He is a very advanced 4 year old...He knows that babys grow in the tummy till they are big enough to come out. I cant wait to tell him..just hope he is excited to finally get what hes been asking for lol

Oh i definetly wouldnt tell before 12 weeks.. Ive been pregnant 2 times..the last time just 5 months before getting pregnant this time and he we were at 8 weeks but I never said a thing to him, id never be able to explain that to him, hes so sensitive. I just cant wait to let him know. He also wants a sister only lol. fingers crossed :D

My oldest is only 5 but has 3 little siblings already. When I was pregnant for the third and fourth times, he knew right away. He noticed those little changes that I didn't even notice, and he started asking about a baby right away. I always change the subject, and my mom ends up telling my kids when she babysits them while I go to the OBGYN/midwife for the first time.

So, my mom just says, "You know your parents went to the baby doctor to go see your new sibling!"

Great.

That being said, my kids are thrilled to be big siblings, and they told me today that they want 6 more babies. I personally don't think so! Haha. But they're happy each time. I let them listen to the "baby" on doppler with me. I show them the ultrasounds right away and call the fetus "our baby". They're "our" babies as a family - meaning their babies, too. Even/especially once the baby is born. I've let the big siblings change diapers right away, even though they're a little rough. I just guide them. They take this position of Big Sibling very seriously. My friends think I'm nuts, but I've got 4 kids who love each other more than anything, and they're all best friends, and they all know how to take GREAT care of a baby. I recommend this to all future parents of 2 or more.

I will probably tell them when we do the cupcake gender reveal(last baby want to have fun with the reveal) with just our close family. Have them bite into the cupcakes and tell them they are going to have a brother or sister.

My son was just under 3.5 when I told him. I told him once I had my scan and showed him the photo. I just explained to him that mummy had a baby in her tummy and that he'd be a big brother and could help me look after it. I took him to help me buy a vest a d told him that he was still my baby too, that mummy would still play with him and that he was a really good boy.

He's actually been brilliant. Ollie is very much a mummy's boy but he adores his little sister already - he constantly asks when she's coming , if he can play with her and hugs by bump a lot. It makes my heart melt <3

I told my kids a few days ago. Just said there is a baby in my tummy and will taoe a while to grow before it's ready to come out. My DD was super excited and keeps asking me about the new baby. My son who is 3.5 doesn't really get it, I think.

My 2.5 year old opened a present at Christmas with a big sister dress and a book that's called 'There's a house inside my mummy'. She loves the book and has started to understand, she tells me there is a baby in my tummy but it's not coming today haha. I can't wait to take her to the scan tomorrow :D
Your boy is older so will definitely understand just talking about it, but if he's been waiting so long it might be nice to do something a bit special :) however you do it, it will be wonderful.

When I was pregnant with my second, I was with my then 3 year old and Friends was on TV, there was a scene where Rachel was pregnant and having a scan and my daughter randomly asked me if there was a baby in my tummy too, so I said yes. We took her to our early scan at 8 weeks as I couldn't trust family to keep the news a secret, so she knew from very early on.

This time around I have a nearly 8 year old and a 4 year old and I don't know how to do it. I have my scan tomorrow so was going to show them the pic and tell them, but it's my oldest daughter's 8th birthday in just over a week so don't want the baby news to overshadow her birthday and party.
I'd like to do it in a fun way, but not sure yet, maybe have a few clues around - picture, baby clothes etc and see if they guess.
I have bought matching outfits for the three of them (two matching dresses and some cute little unisex trousers in the same print), it could be fun to show them the baby trousers and see what they think they're for. :haha:

I'm excited to tell my daughter. Several times after I lost Poppy she has asked if I will have a baby, it's heartbreaking when she asks that. The other day she said 'I'm still a big sister aren't I?' referring to Poppy. She's going to be so excited. I was thinking of getting a tshirt saying 'I'm going to be a big sister' then a picture of her wearing it will be our Facebook announcement too.

I have a daughter and a son, I wonder how to tell my son as he's none verbal autistic. My daughter asked Santa for a baby sister, not a baby brother. So I'm waiting as long as possible before I tell.
Clare x

Thats how im announcing on my facebook.. I have his shirt that says "Worlds most awesome Brother" So excited for him to see the shirt, he is going to be over the moon :D

I think I just sort of told her lol. It was just something we all talked about from early on. I know she definitely understands - we found out the other day that we are having a second girl :happydance: and my dad rang us on Skype to talk to her about her new baby sister ... she said to him 'The little girl baby is in mummy's tummy Grandad, but it isn't born yet.'

She loves There's A House Inside My Mummy and talking to the baby, who 'talks' back in a squeaky little voice. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->