How did you tell your parents? Nervous to tell my Mum tonight...

pradabooties

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I had a negative blood test 4-5 weeks ago and was due for another this week but decided yesterday to do another HPT first - instant dark positive! I was so shocked. Did another this morning and instant BFP! I haven't even told my OH yet.

I will be telling my Mum tonight and I'd really appreciate advice and support as I am SO nervous. I am 24 and have been with my partner for over 5 years - we live together as well - I graduated university over a year ago and currently work an only part time but fairly good job in my industry. So really... I probably shouldn't be nervous because I'm not 15 or anything but my Mum and I are extremely close. We email and text all day every day and we see each other at least 3-4 times a week. We really are best friends and I think partly because she doesn't have a partner she puts so much of her time and energy into worrying about me and trying to help plan my future...

I know she is going to be disappointed at the timing because OH and I had planned to go overseas travelling later this year and I think she will be disappointed that I don't have a full time job yet and OH does but is still unsure what industry he wants to really work in. She loves babies so I'm certain after a while she will be excited but at first I am really scared of how she will react.

She knows I've had an ongoing health thing I've been trying to get solved because I haven't had a period since February and have been very hormonal for the past month - I'm sure its crossed her mind but I think she will still be quite shocked. I am thinking of going over and just saying the truth which is

"Mum, I need to talk to you about something. As you know I was meant to get more blood tests this week and then a measles shot but last time I saw the doctor she mentioned the measles shot is extremely bad to have if you're pregnant so thats been worrying me since I haven't had my period for a while. So I decided to do a pregnancy test just in case yesterday and it was positive... I am very surprised and I know its not the best timing"

Any tips? xx

I would ditch the 'I know it's not good timing part' since that opens the door for her to be critical of the situation. Just tell her you're really excited and happy, it'll be hard for her to turn it into something negative if you are really excited. Good luck!

We just told our parents without any back story. Just invited them over and blurted it out haha. They were so happy for us!

I'd just tell her, you don't need to explain yourself.

Honestly, I didn't even tell my mom ! OH did. :haha:

Last time I told my mom I was pregnant I was 16 years old so I think that experience may have traumatized me :haha:

Even when I was 16 my mom accepted the news and embraced the idea of a new little one (after a couple days of awkward silence). I was so scared this time but she was surprisingly happy for me & OH.

OH says "it's like a band-aid, just rip it off & get it over with"
She'll probably react better than you think.
If she doesn't you can always go home and give her time to soak it all in.
Good luck ! :hugs:

Thank you everyone. I know really the only way is to get it over and done with and just say it! It's definitely not easy, I am really so scared I can barely believe it. Another 5 or so hours til I see her so I'll just continue being nervous til then!

Congratulations on your bfp!! We really have been riding in the same boat... I told my mom last week by saying "so I was trying to jump start my period and I bought some supplements but I thought maybe I should take a pregnancy first...it was positive, but I didn't believe it until I took 3 more and 2 the next day...still positive" and she sat with her mouth wide open and I told my I SO "i think she's smiling.." anyway, I was petrified but she is already shopping for baby clothes. Parents can surprise you with their reactions, I hope yours goes great like mine did, from what you said I think she will be excited. Best of luck and congrats again!

My mum and I are close and I told her right away because I knew she'd be happy , I still haven't told my dad as each time with my others he has never had anything nice to say , so I'll just wait until he notices lol . Good luck I think your mum will be happy for you :) x

The first time we just told them. This time we had my daughter sitting there with a chalkboard saying 'Im being promoted to big sister! December 2015'. Parents were so happy both times.

I hope your announcement went well :)

There is never a perfect time to have a baby, no matter what your situation is there will always be something it might have been better to do first! I would just simply go in with huge smiles on your faces and tell them you are expecting. They will see how happy you are and no doubt be extremely happy too no matter what the work situation is. :) congratulations!

When is ever the right time? Blessings like this don't always happen 'as planned', and that's the way it is. Your body is ready, now you and your mother can get ready too. Don't stress over it too much. Your mom will be so supportive and excited to be a grandmother!

we nervous to tell anyone because it was a real surprise. we already have 2 little ones, 2 and 1 so wasn't planning on another just yet.
my mum in law had an idea I was, i'm not sure how but apparently my body seems to let of signals even though I didn't know I was when she asked me. my step mum knew before I did as well, she didn't know it was going to be me but knew one of her kiddes would be. apparently a medium told her there was an impending pregnancy.
my hubby told everyone so I didn't need to.

you'll be fine, i'm sure she won't be disappointed, far from it.

I agree woth ditching "I know it's not the best timing" maybe say "It's was a surprise but we are thrilled and think it couldn't of come at a better time". That way she won't be as worried or upset.

i agree, ditch the "it's not the best timing" and also ditch the general apologetic tone about it that you have. don't approach your mom as a 13-14 year old teen that has screwed up and is scared of disappointing her, approach her as an adult and future mom to be that you are.

will you tell her or your OH first?

Hi everyone,

Thank you SO much for all your help and suggestions. It really is so true that your parents can surprise you- no matter how close you are...

I told my mum (before telling OH) last Wednesday evening and I was so terrified as soon as I finished saying the words I burst into tears! My mums reaction - to my shock - was "why are you crying?! oh my god don't cry" and she hugged me so tight and I told her I was worried she would be disappointed in me and she said she never could be and she's happy at the prospect of being a grandma. She is actually excited! I can honestly say I know my mum so well and 100% expected her to cry and be disappointed at the timing but she just wasn't at all. The only thing concerning her is the idea of miscarriage (because its so early in the first trimester) but once that hurdle has passed she's going to be thrilled.

Thanks everyone again!

We live far from our parents so OH and I decided to send cute cards with a scan pic of our little baby.
Even though it was a card I felt SO SO nervous, I even could not pick up the phone to answer when my mom called the day she received the card.

I feel like I'm myself a big baby sometimes :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->