How did your baby react to first cereal?

LuvMyBoys

Preggers again!
Reaction score
I tried some rice cereal mixed with bm today for breakfast. She didn't react as well as I thought she would. She ate some and was fine with it, but she didn't freak out with enjoyment as I thought she might. I don't know what I was expecting, really...

Anyways, I just wanted to see what others' babies did...?

P.S. I am aware of all the guidelines and information regarding when to start baby on solids, and have done so with this as well as my doctor's advice in mind. I am not looking to start a fight or debate, so please don't question my motives for feeding her.

At 4 months we were told to wean too which we did. I didn't start off with cereals because everyone I'd spoken to told me that they don't really take to them/like them at first, so I started off with a bit of fruit puree and he loved it :)

At 4 months we were told to wean too which we did. I didn't start off with cereals because everyone I'd spoken to told me that they don't really take to them/like them at first, so I started off with a bit of fruit puree and he loved it :)

Very interesting, my doctor said not to give fruit or veg just yet?

My Health Visitor told me the other day they had a big HV conference and they were really pushinh weaning at 4-6 months so she encouraged me to start so it shouldn't cause a debate (fingers crossed)

Sofia is 18 Weeks and we tried her for the first time on some Baby Rice today. She got on really well. We had a couple of spoons, and they seem to go down okay. She wasn't whooping with joy either but have you tasted that stuff?! its so bland. I wasn't really expecting much more than her exploring the texture.

I would hope that offering other things like Banana and Pear etc will see that more excited response.

It's down to you at the end of the day - there's so many conflicting advice out there you just have to go with what you think. We started off with fruit purees, slowly introduced savoury foods and then introduced cereals. He's got no allergies (touchwood) and he's not a fussy eater in the slightest! He loves his food, so in my case it worked for us :)

I thought before 6 months, then the only things they could have were fruits and veg purees and baby rice/porridge (not normal cereals as they can't have gluten before 6 months)

As for advice, I don't really have any as I haven't started Ava-Mae on anything yet. I will hold out till as close to 6 months as possible but I will be flexible if she shows signs earlier.

I think perseverance and also find out why your dr said no fruit or veg purees. Babies normally love these.

x

I thought before 6 months, then the only things they could have were fruits and veg purees and baby rice/porridge (not normal cereals as they can't have gluten before 6 months)

As for advice, I don't really have any as I haven't started Ava-Mae on anything yet. I will hold out till as close to 6 months as possible but I will be flexible if she shows signs earlier.

I think perseverance and also find out why your dr said no fruit or veg purees. Babies normally love these.

x

I'm not giving her normal cereal, but rice cereal. I'm guessing that's the same as baby rice but we call it cereal here...

There shouldn't be a debate as there is no need to, because OP has wrote that she knows the guidelines and this is the decision she made.

Anyway...
I weaned my LO early, and she had the same reaction as your LO, well.. she looked at me as if to say... "what is that?" she really wasn't sure :haha:
She might get a bit more excited with fruit or veg?! :flower:

i gave her rice cereal at 4 months, and she liked it...I wouldn't say she was overly excited though. With most new things she kind of makes a face like, what is this?! and then warms up to it

Mine got quite sick actually (he was about 15 weeks) so we switched to puree banana (we weren't 'weaning' really but trying a method to help with acid reflux). He didn't try rice cereal ever again until much later (8,9 months?).

I used my finger b/c I didn't want to use spoon feeding, he thought it was a bit odd and then got quite ill immediately after.

Some babies just aren't interested in weaning, or are more interested in the spoon!

x

I'm not giving her normal cereal, but rice cereal. I'm guessing that's the same as baby rice but we call it cereal here...

Sorry, I knew you meant baby cereal, I just didn't word my post very well!

nicole hated it with a passion, i kept trying it for about a week (she was 15weeks), so i tried her with some readybrek and she luved it. she now luvs all types of ceral. my son hated it too but my niece (11yrs) absolutely luved it and still does.

I haven't read all the other replies but just wanted to suggest making it thinner, Jake would only eat cereal which was very very runny to begin with. You could try a cereal which is "just add water", they tend to be a little smoother x

I haven't read all the other replies but just wanted to suggest making it thinner, Jake would only eat cereal which was very very runny to begin with. You could try a cereal which is "just add water", they tend to be a little smoother x

The batch I made this morning was very very liquid... barely any cereal.

I weaned Jessica at around 4 months because I thought she was ready - turns out I was right! :) I gave her baby rice to start with and also expected excitement or at least some reaction! She ate everything I gave her but just looked really confused! Five weeks on she has porridge for breakfast and absolutely loves it. Every morning when I bring in her breakfast bowl she gets soooo excited that I think one day she may throw herself out of her seat!

I'm sure your LO's excitement will grow soon enough :)

My LO wasn't overexcited with the babyrice - I mixed it with BM too, prob was just like thick breast milk for her but after couple days I mixed fruit - pear - in with it and she LOVED it, laughing and mouth open wanting more. Wait till you give your little one a more interesting taste you'll probably get a good reaction then.

With a lOok of.. 'what is this c**p??'
X

I wonder if I should mix in some fruit? Or possibly make it a bit thicker tomorrow? :shrug:

Carmen looked at me like I was crazy, then spit it out all over the place! :haha: She never did like baby cereal, unless it was mixed with fruit puree.

:rofl: at this thread.

My LO gets so excited when she sees me eating - when I do start her on baby rice, she's going to be so disappointed at how bland it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->