How did your parents respond?

Cierralynne

Reaction score
I was just wondering how everyones parents responded after you told them you were pregnant,
My boyfriend is in the hospital from a car accident so i told my family and his by myself.
My mom wasn't mad she said she's glad it happened with him but it was a huge mistake.
His parents said they weren't mad just told me to "do whatever i gotta do" whatever that means, his mother is not the nicest.
I have yet to tell my step dad. And im very scared of what he will say, hes quite the yeller and i really dont want to deal with it but putting it off probably isnt best.
SO HOW'D IT GO FOR YOU? (lemme know your ages as well)

I'm 20 now but at the time I was 19, I told my mum the day after I found out...well, I say told, she guessed when I tried to tell her and ended up hyperventilating...she kinda ended up collapsing backwards onto the sofa in shock...she was alright about it really, just concerned. I expected shouting and arguments but it didn't come which was a pleasant surprise.
I let OH tell his mum and then his mum told his dad over the phone since he was away. His dad was in shock and apparently his mum cried...OH was surprised she cried, it seems he expected a 'congratulations' lol. Then again, he's 25 now so it's a better time for him.
I let my mum tell my dad since I don't see him a lot and I couldn't be bothered with the aggro, all he did was tut and the email me to complain that I hadn't told him!
I chickened out of telling most people, including extended family, I got my mum to do it too, OH, my mum and my best friend all guessed which was good for me since I wasn't able to say it out loud at that point!

I'm 20, have known my OH since October 2012 & fell pregnant in May 2013. Told my mum in June, & she said 'are you sure' so I said yes. She ignored me and my OH for a week or so (we all live in the same house.) then sent me a text saying 'I suppose a congrats are in order' so I said thanks, then she came into my room and asked for a hug.
I still try not to talk to her about the baby, she has come round a hell of a lot but she doesn't seem excited at all.
Just constantly says 'I'm not ready to be a nana' :(

I got her to tell my dad (I was terrified hahaha) he said 'oh shit' then rang me to talk about prams :haha: he took it the best and he is sooo excited to be a grandad, my grandparents are also so very excited. It's a shame my mum isn't because she was like my best friend - tbh I feel awkward around her all the time but I know it will get better when Leo (baby boy) is here!

Sorry for the long reply! Xx

I was 16, less than one month off turning 17 the first time. It did NOT go well. My mum took 5+ weeks to even start coming around, after a while she was fine talking about it and buying a few bits of clothes etc here and there, my dad didn't acknowlage my pregnancy and barely spoke to me until I was 27 weeks, I knew he was making an effort because I got into the car one day and he said 'Hey, fatty' which was good because he acknowlaged the fact that I was pregnant! Towards the end my mum was getting quite excited and from the moment he was born he has had them wrapped around his little finger! Especially my dad! It's just me and my sister and Jason is like the son he never had, I still get emotional now seeing the bond they have after how he was with my pregnancy!

This time I was 18, my mum was mad for all of a couple of days before she was saying 'You better let me knit for this baby' :haha: I was terrified of how dad would react, I was crying, apologised and said I didn't want to dissapoint him but he gave me a cuddle, told me not to be silly and that it's my life :) He even talks to me about my pregnancy this time :)

Hey! I'm 18, I've been with my OH for 4 years, (he's also 18, 2 months older than me :haha:) and we've been living alone together for a year and a half, my mum was so super excited! As soon as I told her she sent out a huge text message to everyone on her contacts list telling them she was going to be a grandma :haha: mind you she's 53 and has emphysema and skin cancer, she probably won't be around much longer and I guess she knows that, my dad was kinda indifferent, he lives 1000km away from me and we hardly speak, he said congrats and that was it really, my OH's mum freaked out for about a half hour (he's her youngest and she still can't come to grips with the fact that he's a man, not a 6 year old) but then she was fine and she's so OTT about baby stuff now, I can't talk to her about anything else coz she won't let me! And we don't have anything to do with my OH's father. :)

I'm 19, and my boyfriend is 18. We told my bfs parents first, since were living with them. They didn't believe us at first but they are now excited and they're sooo supportive. My dad told me he'd be supportive( but told my bf he was excited and mad lol). My step mom was a bit angry and my biological mother seems excited. I guess I'm glad that I live with the nicer and more supportive parents lol.

I'm 18 and so Is the FOB/ex boyfriend.

When i told my mum, she was a little dissapointed at first, but super supportive of my decision and now can't wait to be a grandmother- she's more obsessed about everything baby than I am sometimes! I got my mum to tell my dad, and he wasn't happy with my decision to keep the baby. It took him around 12 weeks to come to terms with the idea of becoming a grandad, but now is amazing and I honestly couldn't wish for better support from both my parents (who are no longer together).

When my ex finally told his parents (I was around 16 weeks), they weren't happy in the slightest and I've had no support from them since my ex broke up with me (when I was around 12 weeks). I haven't had any offers to help out financially with all the baby things, and not so much as a phone call after being in hospital 3 times due to complications. They haven't even bothered to tell their close family or friends because I assume they're to ashamed of the whole situation, but It really doesn't bother me anymore. I've got my parents support and that's all I will ever need!

I was 18, DH 17, with my first. DH and I had been together almost 1½ years. I told my mom after we had it confirmed by Planned Parenthood. She was cool as a cucumber. I wasn't sure how to tell my father even though I was an adult and out of school. My mother let it slip and he said, "This better be a joke because it's not funny. I hope you find a nice adoption family." I was really hurt but later he apologized and said he would support us no matter what. My in-laws were a different story. MIL cried the whole time and FIL simply said, "It takes a village to raise a child" and walked away. The entire pregnancy my MIL was pushing adoption, even when I was being rushed to the OR for my EMCS.

I was 21, DH 20, when we told them about my 2nd. With DH for almost 5 years now. We made a cake that had one blue layer and one pink layer and wrote, "Pink or Blue, either will do! Ready to be grandparents of TWO?" They were very excited and congratulated us. Told my MIL a few weeks later and she said, "Oh. Is that a good thing?" We haven't talked to her in months and don't plan on ever talking to her again. That's another story though.

Finally told my step dad. He said I just made everything a lot harder but he didn't yell! :) and he wasn't mad, he said "I guess we don't have to worry about you getting pregnant anymore sense you already are" and told me he should've saved all his sons baby stuff bc they were really nice. It went beyond better than expected.

Glad it went well!

I was 18 and my DH (then OH) was 19. We told his mum and dad first and they were very supportive and happy/excited. I told my parents quite late on because I was so scared! the reaction was good though. My dad was really happy and excited about it. My mum was a bit upset because she'd had a baby around the same age and it had been quite difficult for her so she was worried, but she wasn't angry with me at all and got really excited after a few days. xx

I'm glad to read your sharing went well.

I was 15 at the time I called my mom from work and asked her if we could go for coffee after she picked me up, she had the genius idea of bringing my sister and best friend. So we went for coffee and I waited until we got home I told her before we went inside figuring she'd be easier to tell separate from my step dad. (They hated the guy I got pregnant by) she cried but otherwise was okay so we went in and told my stepdad who quietly went to his room and we heard him opening the gun safe to go after the guy... It took a few hours then he was okay.

I was 16 and two months into my university course when I found out.

My mother and father both told me I was doing the wrong thing in keeping my son - they didn't believe I could finish university and raise my son.
There were arguements, temper tantrums, people not speaking and all sorts. At my 12 week scan they both came round after seeing my son's ultrasound for the first time and they haven't looked back.

I'm glad these stories are positive!

Me and my dad haven't spoken since I told him at 12 weeks. He disowned me last time I was pregnant too, however wanted to sort things out once I'd mced. I'm not too bothered, I'm 20, me and my partner have lived together for almost 3 years and we're overjoyed, we tried so hard for this baby.
The way I see it I'm making my own family now, and if he doesn't wanna be a part of it then so be it! Anybody who can disown their own child really doesn't deserve one in my world :thumbup: x

First time I just turned 16, wasn't with the guy for long and don't think anyone actually liked him lol, I got my best friend to text my mum LOL. Bad move, she ignored me for a day and then kept telling me I didn't have to keep the baby. When she realised I wasn't changing my mind she started coming around but I never felt she was excited or anything about it even towards the end but as soon as I had him she was sooo happy. She told my dad and everyone else. My dad was kinda like "we need to talk about this." but we never did and wasn't really too bothered as my mums the scary one :haha:
This time around im 19, I live with OH in our own place, I have a job so im in a better place this time round and everyone loves OH. I still told her through a facebook message and attached a pic of LO in a "im gonna be a big brother" shirt. She text me like ring me now!! I did and she wasn't mad at all and said congrats. She told everyone within the space of 5 minutes so I didn't have to :haha:

I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I had been with my boyfriend (now husband) for a little over a year, but we were already living together at this point. I was most afraid of telling my dad, and so embarrassed to have the talk with him. He took it the best though, he was shocked, but so supportive! The first thing he did was hug me. I wrote my mom a letter (she lives out of state) and she kind of lost her shit at first... Mostly cause she was the last to know and she hated that I told her through a letter. They were both AMAZING throughout my pregnancy, and they are so great with my daughter. They could not be happier to be grandparents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->