How do I go about sick leave?

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Iv been having alot of problems with my pregnancy with bleeding and such and have now been off works for 8 days (not all of those 8 days would have been working days ie days off)
My dr has told me to take time off work and just rest but hasnt actualy signed me off, work has been pretty good about it so far my boss even offered to drive me to the hospital when I was on the phone to her in tears but I dont want to keep messing them around and leave them in limbo as to when I will return.

How do I go about sick leave and getting paid for it as Iv never done it before.
Im a waitress so its a fairly phisical job on my feet running about so its not a simple case of go in and do your best or I would do.
I dont know how sick leave works, I know its self certicicated for a few days but dont know about after that.
Do I have to ask the dr to sign me off or speak to my boss fitst and ask to be put on sick leave.

Im hoping it wont be for too long just till they find out why im bleeding all the time and hopfully do somthing about it (its alot of just sitting around waiting at the moment)
Plus does the fact I have never been given or signed a contract effect it and that I dont work set hours, my days and hours change every week depending on how many staff they have and how they make the rota

I think its usually self certified for the first week and then you need to be signed off. As your dr advised you to rest then there should be no problem with him issuing you with a sick note.

It might be down to your companies policy regarding sick pay. I was signed off for over a month during pregnancy and then ended up finishing work 2 months before maternity leave was due to start but my employers were understanding and kept me on full pay.

The first 7 days (including the days you don't work) can be self-certified. For day 8 and after, you'll have to pop to dr's for a sick note.

My Dr was more than happy to sign me off. He asked how long I thought I'd need to recover and signed me off for that long. I worked for the coucil so had a certain number off full pay sick days and then statutory sick pay for the rest but it depends on your companies policy. You just take the note into your place of work and they will do the rest. (or post it or get someone else to take it in for you).

I hope the bleeding stops soon, and congratulations on #2!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->