How do I start with BLW??

Julie74d

Reaction score
Just looking for abit of advice. I was planning on giving puree to my daughter who will be 6 months in a weeks time. But the more I read about BLW I think I would like to try it but don't know where to start. Do I introduce one type of food once a day because of allergies etc

Hi hun :)

We started off with an afternoon meal at first, and I actually offered a couple of fruits.

The first few days weren't successful in terms of eating, but she did play with them a lot and explore them with her hands which is all part of them learning.

After about a week I tried toast, which she hoovered up! :lol:

There are some golden rules when doing BLW:

• Make sure they aren't hungry. We started an hour or so after a feed. If they are hungry they are much less likely to be interested.
  • It's about the baby exploring food themselves, mess is part of learning.
  • Choking is rare, coughing isn't so try not to intervene as coughing is teaching them how to move food around their mouth properly.
  • Never rush a feed. Let them move at their own pace at all times. It isn't about finishing as quickly as possible so patience is a must. However, it's very entertaining to watch :lol:
  • Make sure all food is cut into fingers at first. They need to be long enough for baby to hold in a fist, and eat too.
Have a look here, this book is our bible :) https://www.baby-led.com/

And of course, come join in our thread :) Good luck!

Hi hun :)

We started off with an afternoon meal at first, and I actually offered a couple of fruits.

The first few days weren't successful in terms of eating, but she did play with them a lot and explore them with her hands which is all part of them learning.

After about a week I tried toast, which she hoovered up! :lol:

There are some golden rules when doing BLW:

• Make sure they aren't hungry. We started an hour or so after a feed. If they are hungry they are much less likely to be interested.
  • It's about the baby exploring food themselves, mess is part of learning.
  • Choking is rare, coughing isn't so try not to intervene as coughing is teaching them how to move food around their mouth properly.
  • Never rush a feed. Let them move at their own pace at all times. It isn't about finishing as quickly as possible so patience is a must. However, it's very entertaining to watch :lol:
  • Make sure all food is cut into fingers at first. They need to be long enough for baby to hold in a fist, and eat too.
Have a look here, this book is our bible :) https://www.baby-led.com/

And of course, come join in our thread :) Good luck!

She said it all really! We started off in the mid afternoons - bang between two feeds. He threw food all over the place for weeks before he ate anything, so don't be disheartened!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->