how do u change LO's routine?

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
leyley has gotten herself into a routine where shell sleep from 6am till around 11am, be up for a feed then stay up for about an hour, then go back to sleep, sleeping on and off all day, only waking for a feed, then she sleeps till around 11pm and then shes up then being manic lol until 6am again

she's managed to get her day and night all confused, is there any way i can change her routine? whats the best way to do it with the least disturbance?

i ordered a book off amazon and my OH isnt too keen on me using her tips lol

does anyone have any tips?

x

Hi - Approved your thread.

Just so your aware discussions about the book you mentioned and the author is banned on BabyandBump

x

I started waking her at 8am and trying to keep her awake until 11am. Then she'd nap as long as she wanted and I'd wake her again around 5 and keep her awake until 8. Only took 2-3 days and she now sleeps 12 hour nights.

Maybe wake her instead of letting her sleep until 11 and keep it light for her daytime sleeps and dark for nighttime.

how do u wake ur LOs up? when leylas really asleep there is no waking her up at all lol...i have had her held up, blowing on her face, dancing round with her, talking to her...all sorts, she wont have it, she just sleeps upright lol

how do u do it??

x

Jasper was a little day/night confused at first, which I believe is pretty common, as babies in the tummy tend to sleep during the day while your active and then be more active duriong the night when your sleeping - tricky little bubbas!

This WILL correct itself with time.

My tips are during the day go for walks in the sunshine and fresh air, it feels great for you to get out of the house, but it also I think gives them a bit of an idea of what 'day time' is supposed to look like. At night keep her room COMPLETE dark, no night lights or anything, when you feed her at night time turn on only enough lights to be able to see her - like the hallway light, or a lamp, rather than her/or your, depending on where she's sleeping, room light - feed her without talking to her or making eye contact, as if she thinks you're willing to talk and play she wont want to go back to bed..

... the next bit is up to you and I only started doing it when Jasper was 8 weeks, because I didn't have the heart to when he was really little... swaddle her up nice and tight and pop her back to bed and let her self settle, even if she has to CIO for a minute or two... otherwise just rock, pat, sing, whatever you do to settle her to sleep.

I personally cant get over how magical its been since Jaspers been self settling, the first week he cried a bit, but now he's able to self settle, with only a few shouts of protest as he's swaddled and put to bed - he's almost always asleep within 5 minutes *touch wood!*

Mind you, all this is just MY experience and how Jasper has responded, see what feels right and works for you!

Also... as for books... books I think are good resource for reference if you want to know something specific or if you want to have a ballpark figure about how much sleep your LO should be getting... tips for settling...etc... but... take the information you read with the same scrunity you would if someone you dont know gave you verbal advice, because just because its written and published, doesn't make it true!

Make sure you keep daytime really bright and stimulating, feed lots during the day, even try to get a feeding schedule going so she isnt as hungry at night.

In the evening have a winding down time... we usually just sit in the rocker with the lights dimmed and watch tv. I started putting her to bed bettween 10-11 at that young age I would give her a feed before I went to bed.

Another thing, dont change the diaper at night, if you have to feed, feed only and keep it dark and quiet.

The problem with going outside alot in cool weather is it acually can help babies sleep, not wake them up.

Jasmine has been in her crib since a week old, we have always had a night light for her and she has a lavender air freshener. We've always bathed in the evening, always had our quiet time.

Jasmien has always been quite good in the night, weve stuck to the same things from the beginning and she has a good routine.

Good luck changing Leyley's routine hun, hope it goes well. x

harry had night and day mixed up at first.I started to change his routine by giving him a bath at 10pm then take him to bedroom, turn off lights and feed him. I stayed in the room with him and went to bed the same time. After a few days he somehow realised that it was night time and began to sleep from 11pm - 4/5 then it gradually got earlier going to bed and later waking up. I bath him at 8 .30 now and feed him in the bedroom in the dark at 9pm ( regardless of whether he is due a bottle or not). He has slept through from around 6 weeks old and usually sleeps from 9.30 til 10 am. I dream feed him when i go to bed now ( around midnight and he wakes for a feed at 6am then goes back to sleep til 9.30 / 10 am).

Until about 3 weeks ago he slept the majority of the day in his basket in the living room which is light and still went to bed for the night. Now he has a couple of naps lasting about 1h30 but he is a lot more aware of things now so i can play with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->