How do you determine Your baby's first word?

Alexas Mommy

Reaction score
Okay, lately I have been wondering how you are supposed to determine when your baby's first word is, over them just making sounds? Alexa is constantly saying "Mamma" "Yeah" and "hi", and she does it frequently and clearly- even more clearly than my 10 month old neice!! so how am I to distinguish when she is saying her first words... so confused!!!

Wow,you have one smart kid there!Sorry,I dont know....

Josh says Hullo and says Hiya but I'm not sure if he does the Hiya on purpose! As for the Hullo-Hello he says it clearly now when you say hello, he repeats it all the time.

Josh says Hullo and says Hiya but I'm not sure if he does the Hiya on purpose! As for the Hullo-Hello he says it clearly now when you say hello, he repeats it all the time.
Thats the same with Alexa's Hi's and Mamma's!!! So do you consider his Hello as his first word???

Oh i dont know , i didnt think children could actually speak till there much older ...

Oh i dont know , i didnt think children could actually speak till there much older ...

Me too Dec is 9 months and all I get is the odd bye-bye or ta-ta I mean things like ma-ma da-da ba-ba and ga-ga that is just babble i wouldnt say they are first words. Oh I dont know maybe I am wrong

Sam makes random noises all the time and loads of them sound like real words. Think I'm going to wait until he actually knows what the word is and says it on purpose rather than copying noises, like saying dada when he sees his daddy x

Thats the same with Alexa's Hi's and Mamma's!!! So do you consider his Hello as his first word???

Not sure... Because he just repeat it !

I think it's when they use a word consitently. Kaya says 'mum' when she wants milk so I count that as her first word

Thanks guys! You have helped out a lot... I just didn't want to miss the date in Alexa's first year book, for when she says her first word, and what it was.... so I guess more when she knows what she is saying is her first word!!! Thanks!!!:hug:

I agree with Sam's Mom.. I would consider their first word to be the first time they can recognize something and say what it is.. (aka mama at mom, dada at dad)
Babies will learn to say 'ma ma' and 'da da' but initially dont recognize what these things mean. For instance, they may call there mom 'da da', or even just repeat it over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->