How do you feel about epidurals/natural birth?

But surely it is your responsibility to look into pain relief and way up risks?

Yes definitely everyone should do that, but what about the women who simply went in thinking they definitely won't have an epi, so they never researched it, they need to be informed about the risks. I wouldn't be surprised if half the women who get an epi don't actually know the bad things that could happen. There should at least be someone who comes in and goes over the risks in the hospital before you get it, or better yet the midwife should really talk about it at a prenatal visit. I think I was given some papers about pain relief and I did read them, but I'm the kind of person that even reads the user manuals on everything I own, most people don't.

Yes definitely everyone should do that, but what about the women who simply went in thinking they definitely won't have an epi, so they never researched it, they need to be informed about the risks. I wouldn't be surprised if half the women who get an epi don't actually know the bad things that could happen. There should at least be someone who comes in and goes over the risks in the hospital before you get it, or better yet the midwife should really talk about it at a prenatal visit. I think I was given some papers about pain relief and I did read them, but I'm the kind of person that even reads the user manuals on everything I own, most people don't.

I got told every minute risk of having an epi and section. They went into full detail! It must depend which hospital you go to. I knew the risks already but was left in no doubt after the discussion with the docs!

I got told every minute risk of having an epi and section. They went into full detail! It must depend which hospital you go to. I knew the risks already but was left in no doubt after the discussion with the docs!

At ante natal classes, epis and their side effects were discussed. When I decided to have the epi the MV talked through the risks as did the anesthesiologist, before I had to sign paperwork to say I understood what may happen.

However, I had read before birth about pain relief and had taken responsibility for my own birth and decisions. We are adults and I do think we have to be responsible for what happens during our births. People complain about the medical community making decisions for them but if you do not read the information out there I am not sure you can really complain. As I have said before, I see thread upon thread of people debating, researching and comparing prams. If you can do that then you most certainly should be responsible for reading about pain relief.

At ante natal classes, epis and their side effects were discussed. When I decided to have the epi the MV talked through the risks as did the anesthesiologist, before I had to sign paperwork to say I understood what may happen.

However, I had read before birth about pain relief and had taken responsibility for my own birth and decisions. We are adults and I do think we have to be responsible for what happens during our births. People complain about the medical community making decisions for them but if you do not read the information out there I am not sure you can really complain. As I have said before, I see thread upon thread of people debating, researching and comparing prams. If you can do that then you most certainly should be responsible for reading about pain relief.

Like I've said before, though, I don't think that many women are going to ask about pain relief in a culture that readily accepts it as an inevitability during labor. I don't think that during labor is the time to think over the risks but before. And if doctors aren't forthcoming about the risks during regular appointments, I think some women may be less inclined to do research if they come from the mindset that it's only natural to have an epidural or to request other methods of pain relief during birth. Just because the information is out there doesn't mean that people necessarily know they should be looking for it in the first place. I really don't see a problem with requiring doctors to at least mention something with regard to epidurals during regular appointments or at least give some sort of literature on the subject. I was given a pamphlet on methods of birth control to consider after I had birth but nothing at all on pain relief during labor. Maybe part of the problem here is also inconsistency. Some women say they were given ample information while others say they were given little if any at all.

After that point, yes, I would agree that it is up to the woman to make the decision to research the subject further. There is plenty of information on the internet and in medical journals if they wanted to find it. Such information would most likely prompt further research for certain women that might not have known some of their options prior.

I didnt make it to any class cos my girls arrived before mine were supposed to start. I only knew about epidurals from my sister having one and the hospital I was booked to have the twins at gave all twin mums one in case they needed theatre it was safest way.
In the end I didnt have one.

Like I've said before, though, I don't think that many women are going to ask about pain relief in a culture that readily accepts it as an inevitability during labor. I don't think that during labor is the time to think over the risks but before. And if doctors aren't forthcoming about the risks during regular appointments, I think some women may be less inclined to do research if they come from the mindset that it's only natural to have an epidural or to request other methods of pain relief during birth. Just because the information is out there doesn't mean that people necessarily know they should be looking for it in the first place. I really don't see a problem with requiring doctors to at least mention something with regard to epidurals during regular appointments or at least give some sort of literature on the subject. I was given a pamphlet on methods of birth control to consider after I had birth but nothing at all on pain relief during labor. Maybe part of the problem here is also inconsistency. Some women say they were given ample information while others say they were given little if any at all.

After that point, yes, I would agree that it is up to the woman to make the decision to research the subject further. There is plenty of information on the internet and in medical journals if they wanted to find it. Such information would most likely prompt further research for certain women that might not have known some of their options prior.

Perhaps there is a UK/US difference then? Everyone I know had info about pain relief from both MVs and doctors at appointments. There was certainly no lack of information.

I didnt make it to any class cos my girls arrived before mine were supposed to start. I only knew about epidurals from my sister having one and the hospital I was booked to have the twins at gave all twin mums one in case they needed theatre it was safest way.
In the end I didnt have one.

I only made 2 of the 4 as Emma was early but they discussed epis at both. I didn't go to classes before I had Bobo but the hospital offered one at his birth and gave lots of info.

Perhaps there is a UK/US difference then? Everyone I know had info about pain relief from both MVs and doctors at appointments. There was certainly no lack of information.

I really do think there is a difference, at least from what I've read on this thread and others. The US is really far removed from a midwife culture, for one. There still are midwives available, but they're not at all hospitals. Most OB healthcare we receive is directly from doctors. I just know that I happened to come across information on epidurals and pain relief when my friend suggested I watch The Business of Being Born. Before that, I kind of knew that I didn't want an epidural (my sister didn't have one with her first and my mom didn't have them with three of her children), but I really had no real reasons beyond that. After seeing the documentary, though, I became more aware of the risks associated with certain methods of pain relief. When I brought it up to my doctor, he only told me that epidurals were very safe and that I should go ahead and get one if I felt the pain was unbearable. So I wasn't even really supported when I brought it up willingly during my own doctor's appointment.

I wasn't given any information about pain relief options by my midwives. I learned about it at my Antenatal classes (though I say learned loosely as I already knew nearly everything they taught in the classes through personal research). Classes that were totally optional for me to attend, and in fact I had to be proactive about getting a spot.
My midwives had me do a birth plan, but didn't really discuss anything on it with me other than to tell me that some of my 'in case of' options weren't possible (delayed cord clamping with c-section etc).
I guess I'm lucky I did do a 'in case of' on my birth plan because nothing went even remotely according to plan. I think professionals should emphasize birth plans as a chance for you to research your options and the risks of various options and interventions. Mine didn't, maybe some do.
Most people either don't do a birth plan and trust their providers to do their thinking for them or come out with a 'this is how it's gonna go' plan. I guess I don't think either is realistic and as I said above it should be an opportunity for personal research and weighing options.

I am from NZ too and we spoke about it. It is a checklist in the pink book of notes that they have to have covered it with you. My MW gave me a large booklet to take home and read. I assumed I would need pain relief as I thought everyone did. I told her (after doing a small amount of research) that pethidine was my preferred option. After a wee chat about it effecting the baby I decided it was probably least down the list. I kind of assumed that the drugs made available were all safe and ok for use in labour. I am much better informed now and am aware that there are windows for some drugs to be used.

I have met many women who had epis and they still have numb spots on their backs etc. It seems that the effects are not that uncommon. I was sure I wanted to avoid one after caring for a lady who had a spinal leak post epi and couldn't hold her baby for nearly 24 hrs because if she lifted her head off the pillow she got excruciating headaches. She had a spinal patch the next day but she was so tearful and disappointed at her labour/post natal experience. The idea that I might not be able to care for my baby straight away terrified me.

I guess maybe they didn't talk to me about it because I hadn't intended on using anything other than Gas and air? I don't know. They seemed like fantastic caring midwives until I had my baby and then they became pretty awful, so there's a pretty good chance they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing but I didn't know any better. It's hard to know your rights and what professionals 'should' be doing when it's your first time.

I guess maybe they didn't talk to me about it because I hadn't intended on using anything other than Gas and air? I don't know. They seemed like fantastic caring midwives until I had my baby and then they became pretty awful, so there's a pretty good chance they weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing but I didn't know any better. It's hard to know your rights and what professionals 'should' be doing when it's your first time.

That's a good point. Being pregnant and giving birth are both pretty overwhelming experiences, no matter what other factors may come into play. It's pretty easy to trust your professionals pretty wholeheartedly. Not to say they shouldn't be trusted, but questioning is a healthy thing to do too. If that makes sense. :shrug:

Having researched before I had Fin I knew I wanted a water birth but the only pain relief options for me would be G&A and then an epi if needed... but I thought I'd be too scared for an epi because I hate needles.

I did not want pethidine or another drug that is known to make the baby drowsy and/or less receptive to breastfeeding initially.

I ended up induced and heavily monitored due to my waters breaking but not going into labour naturally. My induction got hyperstimulated and I had constant contractions from 1cm.

The epidural was the best thing I did in my opinion. Had my contractions started slower and built up I'd maybe have managed without but I very very quickly exhausting with no time to rest between contractions and I KNEW I'd not have the energy to push if things continued as they were.

My EPI worked fully. I had complete relief of contraction pain but still felt the pressure from each contraction. MY labour progressed quickly while I had a nap and when it came to pushing I was able to feel every urge to push and, depsite them talking of cutting me as Fin was having decelerations, I was able to push him out by myself in 50 mins with only 3 minor tears/grazes. I did feel him crown and the burn etc as they turned the epi down 40 mins or so before they allowed me to start pushing.

Fin was alert after his initial rub down and came straight to the boob like a pro. No hesitation and no drowsiness. We bonded immediately.

I was walking 4 hrs later and able to leave 8 hrs after he arrived. Fin and I have both been healthy since.

So, based on my experience. I think they are fab. I didn't get a medal... but neither did my friend who did it naturally... and we both got the exact same end result. A healthy mother and a healthy baby.

In terms of Fin now... he is one of the most advanced babies I have seen his age and has been the picture of constant health until he caught a bug last week. Fed well and sleeps well etc etc.

There are horror stories with every procedure... but based on what I experienced myself. I'd recommend an epidural to any woman who felt she needed one x

i had an epidural - glad i did or both my son and i would be dead. not going to go in to specifics as i dont feel i need to justify why i had one.
there is pain relief available so why not take it ? imho.
everyones labour is different, if someone says they were in indescribeable amounts of pain they probably were. if you had an 'easy' , fairly painless labour or u were able to cope, thats great, but not everyone is the same.

i had an epidural - glad i did or both my son and i would be dead. not going to go in to specifics as i dont feel i need to justify why i had one.
there is pain relief available so why not take it ? imho.
everyones labour is different, if someone says they were in indescribeable amounts of pain they probably were. if you had an 'easy' , fairly painless labour or u were able to cope, thats great, but not everyone is the same.

No one needs to justify their choice of whether or not to have pain relief during labor. The debate more or less hinges on that there are risks of the epidural and other methods of pain relief that many women do not research, however. So while they're available, they may not be for everyone. Unless information is available, some women may not know this.

i agree that risks need to be researched. i was dead scared i was going to move and be paralysed, because i had been reading all the pros and cons from day one lol.
but in saying that, if someone refuses and epidural and they really needed one,say if they were in established labour for a large amount of time, or not coping with the pain (just examples) and they refused it, it could be much worse for them and they would be better off having it if only for a few hours to regain some energy

:dohh: that made absolutely no sense in some bits :dohh: i am so sorry, im really tired. ill come back and edit later lol

:dohh: that made absolutely no sense in some bits :dohh: i am so sorry, im really tired. ill come back and edit later lol

Haha, I'm equally tired so it made sense to me. Funny how that works. :haha: Yeah, I totally understand what you mean as well. I had to have an epi because I ended up having to have a c-section anyway. I was aware of the risks at that point but mainly just concerned with the fact that it was a huge needle. It was actually kind of funny because I had been in labor off and on for two days at that point. They told me that the numbing agent before the needle was going to hurt. I basically said they could throw an anvil at my head and I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

They told me that the numbing agent before the needle was going to hurt. I basically said they could throw an anvil at my head and I probably wouldn't have noticed it.
Haha, when she was putting mine in she said "can you feel that" and I did so she goes "do you want more local anesthetic first?" and I was like "What? No! Just get it in!" I could feel it - just - but it was like a little tiny pinch compared to contractions. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->