How do you get a 10 yr old to practice the cello?

Rigi.kun

Mum to Teddy
Reaction score
I've taken up helping my little sister with her homework. She's 10 yrs old and gets frustrated so easily.

She has only started learning the cello and thus.... lets just say if she wants to be good, it won't be by accident.

Today she got really upset/angry at it and gave up playing it as she couldn't play Hot Cross Buns or Mary Had A Little Lamb. I keep telling her that the only way she is going to be able to play is if she practices, but she doesn't believe me and just storms off.

Learning to play the cello is costing mum a small fortune.

Any advice on how to get her to practice and stop her getting frustrated?

Not sure about encouraging a ten year old but when i was practicing the clarinet when i was younger to work on a piece of music I used to start by first ignoring the speed the piece should be played at and taking it really slowly so i could get my fingers into the places they neede to be for each note. Once i had mastered playing the piece at a really slow pace i would slowly increase the tempo until i had managed to work back up till the original tempo.

hope this might help a little

Is it compulsory? I can't really make out from th op as you say homework but your mum is paying

if it us just private lessons and she isn't interested i wouldn't force it

I HATED cello growing up, it was mandatory in my school and I loathed it. My parents tried to set a kitchen timer and had me practice for that amount of time everyday and if I did I got a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->