How do you give your baby's meds?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been adding alexander's meds (dalavit, ranitidine, spironolactone, furosemide, sytron, sodium chloride and potassium acid phosphate) to his bottles since he came home. The problem is he has started to get tired at the end of some bottles and can't finish them. He also has bad reflux so often vomits a lot back up. I'm concerned he isn't getting the correct dose and it will affect him. Does anyone so anything different or have any suggestions what I can do?

Holly came home on abidec and sytron and I always gave them in a syringe.

I know some people have put them in a teat as well

When you say you gave them in a syringe do you mean squirted into the mouth? Alex tends to spit it back out!

If you use a syringe, you can squirt in the cheek and give a gentle blow in his face, this will get them to swallow (neonatal taught me this and it's been a good trick still with Alex to try and get her to swallow meds or help her calm down when we think she's about to be sick)
Ranitidine needs constantly checked vs weight so it might need increased.

There's also a min dose and max dose for his weight- confusing I know but it's likely you'll be on the min scale so there's room to increase

Put the syringe to the side so its going towards their cheek and then they can't really spit it out.

The suggestion I was given was to make up a bottle (EBM, formula, whichever!) but then split that between two bottles so only half the milk is in each. Put the medicine(s) into one bottle and give that first - hunger means that they will complete the bottle. Then immediately switch over to the second (half) bottle to continue the feed. If they don't finish that second bottle, it's not a problem - they will have had all the medicine(s). Also any vomit is likely to be the more recent milk, which is the plain milk.

I find squirting in towards reece cheek works, then he doesn't have really a chance to spit it back up or give him some and then a little drink of his milk Reece is on Ranitidine, Sytron and Abidec (the abidec he is the fussiest with taking) :) xx

gosh Alexandr Is on a lot meds! imagine it takes a while esp if he is fighting u all the way lol.

Daniel takes his Styron and dalivit by syringe and almost at stage of sucking it out. I have heared some just offer him a bottle teat and pour the meds in. my first boy was always spitting it back out hubby bought a 'medicine' dummy online where meds go in the bit where the ring would be iykwim and sooked thru the dummy worked a treat x

I may have to look into a medicine dummy. Luckily the most he takes at once is 3 meds but we are struggling! The ones we just gave him just now in the side of his mouth were spat in my face!

Ella came home on the same meds except the dalavit. We always gave them in a seperate bottle with just a little milk then once she took that she would get the rest of her feed from bottle no2. We were always told though to never give Sytron with Potassium acid phosphate together.They always had to be given at very different times of the day. It can make the wee ones sick and wont digest. Hope you find a solution that works. :)

Thanks. We do keep those ones separate - we have a drug rota on the fridge! :)

I've seen the nurses in the nicu give my son his medication in a few different ways. Some before feeding, some after, etc.

Some use the syringe, and they actually put the syringe back into his mouth so he doesn't squirt it out and then they pat under his chin. They say that helps him swallow it.

Others put just the medication in the nipple.

Others mix the medication with milk in the nipple.

After trying everything I have found that putting some milk in the teat then whichever meds and he guzzles it down! Thanks everyone!

lol we have a drug rota on the fridge, with what drugs reece gets at each feed. He on antibiotics the now aswell so that needs to be given 4 times a day. So much to remember. lol x

I remember the drug rota well. We had the same on the inside of the cupboard. Sleep deprivation does mad things to your eyesight and mind! :wacko: My brain was fried at one point. Hope your lo isnt on all these meds for long. xxx :hugs:

The suggestion I was given was to make up a bottle (EBM, formula, whichever!) but then split that between two bottles so only half the milk is in each. Put the medicine(s) into one bottle and give that first - hunger means that they will complete the bottle. Then immediately switch over to the second (half) bottle to continue the feed. If they don't finish that second bottle, it's not a problem - they will have had all the medicine(s). Also any vomit is likely to be the more recent milk, which is the plain milk.
This is what we did. Abby's meds were given in about 30 mls of EBM from a bottle and she was either fed the rest from me or in a second bottle of EBM.

The syringe thing never worked for us either!:dohh:

25 Weeker, that's ever so mean - did you ever taste Sytron or Abidec - they were vile!!

25 Weeker, that's ever so mean - did you ever taste Sytron or Abidec - they were vile!!

I was on Abidec for years as a child and it is the worst tasting medicine ever! It makes me cringe just thinking about it.lol.

My twin girls were born at 31+6 , on 23rd January and they told me a few days ago that they will be on Abidec for a while yet. I actually retched whilst one was being given it, the smell is so bad.

It never bothered Holly in the slightest. She actually liked the Sytron. I have no doubt she will get her revenge many times over the years :rofl:

This is what we did. Abby's meds were given in about 30 mls of EBM from a bottle and she was either fed the rest from me or in a second bottle of EBM.

To be fair, I think it was actually you who made the suggestion to me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->