how do you know if you need a D&C?

Gemma Simone

Reaction score
Just wondering how you would know if you need a D&C? If you miscarry naturally and early on in the pregnancy is it likely that you wouldn't need one?

If you have a 'complete' miscarriage naturally (ie everything comes out by itself) then there is no point in having a d+c.

A d+c is used if you have an 'incomplete' miscarriage (ie stuff is left inside), you bleed very heavily during a miscarriage (and need the operation to avoid too much blood loss) or you choose it because you don't want to wait for it to happen naturally.

does that help?

thanks loo. but how do you know if you've had a 'complete' miscarriage? As my doctor didn't say anything about a scan to check. just to come back in if i have any cramps or continued bleeding / dizziness etc.

Indications that you may need to go back and see your doctor are very prolonged (>2 weeks) bleeding, severe cramping (if you are doubled-up in pain), excessive bleeding (changing a meternity-size pad more than once per hour), if your bleeding is only brown and not bright red, diziness or fainting.

Your doctor should send you for a scan at some point to check that all of the pregnancy has gone, even if you don't have any of the above symptoms (might depend on where you are but that is the routine in the uk).

Give the doctors/ EPAU a call to discuss it, they can tell you what the procedures are in your area.

Please can someone tell me what exactly a D&C is, i know you can have it after a mis carriage? X

Please can someone tell me what exactly a D&C is, i know you can have it after a mis carriage? X

D and C stands for "dilatation and curettage". They basically scrape the insides of your womb, to remove anything that may be left in there. :blush:

I had natural miscarriage then one week later started heavily bleeding again so was taken in and they removed the products, not with D an C though just with forceps. (sorry if tmi) I was 13 weeks but sack has only grown to bout 6. They explained that your body will keep preoducing more blood to flush the products out, so you will know if you need a D and C hun. Sorry for your loss though. xxxx

It's all done under anaesthetic, so not too bad. But you get terrible cramps and bleeding afterwards. :(

It's best to look up ERPC (evacuation of retained products of conception) if you are researching online, as d+c is an old fashioned term. They now usually use suction rather than 'scraping' so the terminology has changed too.

I had a missed miscarriage which was treated medically (pills and pessaries). I carried on bleeding for weeks, although it was getting less and less. When my next period was due I bled very heavily and passed some tissue. A scan at that point showed retained products and I went in for an ERPC / d+c. I didn't have much pain or bleeding after that.

xx

i had a d&c cos my sac was 11.5wk and the baby was only6wk, she said i cud cum bk in a wk,av a scan and go from there,in that wk at home i was bleeding the whole time and was convinced it had all cum away....but wk later she did a scan and only tiny bit of sac had cum away!! so i had a d&c,didnt want2wait for it 2cum naturally as only bit of sac had cum away after a wk,plus so much blood just4that!! if u'd feel better having one,then u CAN have one ... dont let the doc tell u any different!

Just wanted to add i too had a d&c due to having a missed mc..i actually called the epau and asked for it as i thought the wait for the inevitable was horrible and also cause i was told by a friend she regretted going through it naturally. The mc was obviously terrbile but the d&c was a godsend for me. Hospital staff were amazing and i was given the all clear right there and there and went back to trying again within a week!

Having said that its all very individual...sorry for your loss..:hugs:

Sorry for your loss hun. I just wanted to suggest you read the thread Wobbles put together in Miscarriage and Loss forum, called Miscarriage Myths and Facts. It is very informative and covers everything you could think of even asking.
I hope that you're doing well and remember to take care. :hugs:
P

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"