How do you know when it's *the* name?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Picking a name feels so hard! DH and I have been set with two names since we started TTC and they so far haven't changed through pregnancy. We'll be finding out in a few weeks what LO is and I can't help but get cold feet on our names! Yet every name I look at doesn't stick to me like the two we already have.

Right now we're at Dominic Matthew and Amelia Marie.

How do you just know it's your baby's name? :) Forgive me for being silly!

With our first we had a boys name before he existed and that's the name he got, Owen. This time we having another boy and totally stuck x

DH and I had our names picked out as soon as we found out about the baby. I don't think anyone REALLY knows when it's "the" name. I'm certain that my little one's name isn't going to change, but I still feel SO odd and unsure when I think of her as "Shiloh". I think I'm still having a hard time believing all of this is real lol

With our first we had a boys name before he existed and that's the name he got, Owen. This time we having another boy and totally stuck x

Oh gosh, I feel like picking a name for #2 would be so much harder if they're the same gender.

DH and I had our names picked out as soon as we found out about the baby. I don't think anyone REALLY knows when it's "the" name. I'm certain that my little one's name isn't going to change, but I still feel SO odd and unsure when I think of her as "Shiloh". I think I'm still having a hard time believing all of this is real lol

Glad to know we're not the only ones who thought of our two fav names before. It is so hard to know it's real!!

Ugh, I started thinking on names and I added one each to the list so now I'm at:

Dominic Matthew
Desmond Matthew

Amelia Marie
Avery Marie

Although of course I haven't mentioned them to DH, it took him the past 5 months to talk him into Amelia - I'm not sure if I should bring more names to the table:haha:

I love Dominic & Amelia - great choices! Also love Avery! The two options actually make for great sib-sets in the future!!

For me - I had a list of my fav names and gave him one once I saw him. I didn't know which one I wanted and flip flopped back and forth many times. I KNEW once I saw him though. In a way, I feel like he named himself! Because I was soooo undecided yet knew as soon as I met him what his name was meant to be!

Love your name choices btw! Great taste! My cousin's LO is named Avery. :flower:

As for how I knew for the names? Micah was originally the name I wanted for the first baby I ever miscarried. Because of that special connection, DH and I just knew we had to use it for our first DS. When we saw him, it just felt like him. That was his name.

With this LO, I had been calling it Nolan since before I found out the gender, in case it was a boy. But it never felt right. It sounded off even when family said it. So when DH came to me with his own list, something he has NEVER done, I gave it a look over and...a name just popped out at me, and I had that same feeling I had with Micah's name. To us, Tobias is his name. We're excited to meet him. :happydance:

I read a book with a character named Kella, and she had every trait that I would have ever wished a girl could have, so the name stuck with me through the years. When I met DH, and we started talking about names, I just kind of tossed that one into the mix and he said "that's it. That's going to be our daughter's name". So of course when we found out we were expecting we played the name game, but none of them felt as right as Kella. :)

For me, it was when I kept looking at lists, looking at my own lists and wanting to keep looking... but I keep coming back to that one name.

It also just "felt" right. I thought I'd settled on Violet at one point but I was embarrassed to say that when people asked and felt awkward calling my bump it. Then when I got the one, it just felt right!

I liked the name Connor since waaaay before I found out I was pregnant! When looking for names, no matter how many others I liked, I always found myself coming back to that one :)

I'm expecting our first biological child (we have two older boys). Anyways we decided to have 2 names for each gender.
Quinn Matthew
Levi Michael

Michaela MaryElla (Kaela)
Lucette MaryElla (Lucy)

And when baby is born we are hoping one will just jump out to us. We do have favorites but I love all of them so we are just going to wait and see.

I was convinced midway through our pregnancy that he bump was a boy then he should be called Micah. I loved it. Sadly OH wasn't sure and I moved on. We didn't have any definite name when he was born but we were pretty set on Charlie. When he was born in called him Charlie to OH and he said he'd changed his mind! That he'd read a book while I was being induced and it's protagonist was named Charlie, and now it no longer suited our baby in his eyes! I was stumped, we'd ruled out so many names. Then remarkably he reconsidered Micah, I still adored the name but I'd resigned myself to the fact it wasn't going to be our baby name. I was and still am over the moon with his name. :)

Neither of our babies names were the ones we had set our minds to beforehand. Gabriella was meant to be Lily-Anne until about 2 weeks before she was born. Oh came home and said what about Gabriella Rose? I pretty much agreed there and then. With this one we were struggling for boys names. I was set on Jacob and Oh wanted Harrison. Then I saw Caelan written down on one of those baby name websites and knew straight away that was his name. I don't envisage it changing either. So I guess we just knew to use a cliché x

We had a short list, when he was born we were unsure and then I randomly named him when the midwife said what should she put on the paperwork.
Im guessing we will make a shortlist and then one will suit, or it will be completely random again.
Xx

I was convinced midway through our pregnancy that he bump was a boy then he should be called Micah. I loved it. Sadly OH wasn't sure and I moved on. We didn't have any definite name when he was born but we were pretty set on Charlie. When he was born in called him Charlie to OH and he said he'd changed his mind! That he'd read a book while I was being induced and it's protagonist was named Charlie, and now it no longer suited our baby in his eyes! I was stumped, we'd ruled out so many names. Then remarkably he reconsidered Micah, I still adored the name but I'd resigned myself to the fact it wasn't going to be our baby name. I was and still am over the moon with his name. :)

Do you pronounce it Meek-ah my My-kah? Either way, I love it.

Do you pronounce it Meek-ah my My-kah? Either way, I love it.

My-Kah and thank you :)

As we were Team :yellow: both times and didn't even think of names the second time it was after they were born (DS was only named after he was born and it wasn't close to any name we liked) but saying that, when I was pregnant with DD I took a shine to the name Lily, I didn't think we'd have a girl but Lily was always on my mind if I thought about having a girl, I couldn't see myself having a girl called anything else!

Dd1 we knew her name straight away and never doubted it.

Dd2 no name felt 100% right. She was born nameless. I think I stopped doubting if I had made the right choice when she was about 6 months old...Now I couldn't imagine her having any other name.

I chose my first two choices when I was a kid. I chose Lara for my future daughter around the time the first Tomb Raider film came out. Lara Croft was my hero as a kid, I worshipped the ground she walked on, and she's still very close in my heart. I chose Arthur at the age of 13. At the time, it was due to this whole autistic obsession with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but after a while it started to really genuinely grow on me. Plus, I think it's a good way to honour my great-grandfather's memory, I never met him as he died about 20 years before I was born.

I had DD named several different names during my pregnancy. The day I was in the hospital waiting for a c-section it just hit me and I knew that was the right name. I haven't regretted it for one single second and she is almost 6 now. I love it just as much every time I hear it.

You'll know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->