How do you manage with the supplements and your stomach?

Rashaa

Cautiously pregnant
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time taking Materna - no matter what time of day, and I always take it with food. No matter what, I want to :sick: everytime - has anyone else experienced this and what do you do?

Aside from the vitamin, I am taking 5mg of Folic Acid and that's it :S.

Is it just Materna, or other multi-vits too?

hi Chantal, it's just Materna....wicked stuff lol. I have taken the Folic Acid on its own, without any affect, but the Materna is really strong.... and I was trying to think back to 12 and 15 yrs ago with my other two beans [now tween and teen] and I don't think I got this sick.... I can only surmise that my body is changing, getting older etc.. and I am not as iron-clad in the stomach as I used to be. Perhaps I should switch to another prenatal vit?

Actually if you can tolerate a regular multi-vit, take that. Along with your 5mg folic acid you should be OK. A regular multi-vit just contains a little less folic acid than Materna :thumbup:

Why are you taking 5mg folic acid, if you don't mind me asking?

I only take 0.5mg (even though I SHOULD take 5mg due to my daughter's neural tube defect), but even that 0.5mg makes me very nauseous. My multi-vit contains another 0.8mg folic acid, so the two together is really tough on me. I always take it at night after dinner.

There may be numerous triggers for nausea. The type of iron in the multi-vit, the amount of iron, the folic acid, etc. I think it a good idea to try another type. I'm also just waiting to finish my current one, then I'm going to try another brand to see if it makes me less nauseous. :shrug:

Why are you taking 5mg folic acid, if you don't mind me asking?

I only take 0.5mg (even though I SHOULD take 5mg due to my daughter's neural tube defect), but even that 0.5mg makes me very nauseous. My multi-vit contains another 0.8mg folic acid, so the two together is really tough on me. I always take it at night after dinner.

There may be numerous triggers for nausea. The type of iron in the multi-vit, the amount of iron, the folic acid, etc. I think it a good idea to try another type. I'm also just waiting to finish my current one, then I'm going to try another brand to see if it makes me less nauseous. :shrug:

Hi BlueHadeda

I am taking 5mg as my doctor prescribed it. There isn't a history of birth defects in our families - but she was airing on the side of caution...depleted stores and age, and my (great) med compliance....I'm too busy taking care of other patients at time...and need to remember to take care of myself :D. (Just kidding) I am very compliant, just really busy.....at times.

i have a sensitive tum too. ive ended up ditching the b6 ( served no real purpose to me anyway) because it made me really hungry and nauseous. only taking folic acid, omega 3 and iron now. iron feels like a brick in my stomach and been having toilet trouble with it but still forcing it down my throat. :nope:

i dont take prenatal vit ( thats a personal choice) but have you thought about splitting your supplements during the day? take so many at breakfast, afternoon and last on the evening at supper. ive heard you absorb the nutrients better this way too. split your vits in half if you have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->