How do you tell your milk's gone bad?

AK89

Reaction score
My DD is really bad with her bottle so we rarely bother with it these days, but I've got milk in the freezer, the oldest of which is about 2.5 months old, and I don't want it to go to waste so I defrosted some of it today. I've done this with milk that was a couple of months (no more than 3) old before and I remember having a similar experience; basically I tasted and smelt it and it tasted funny, like kind of a bit metallicky...? And it smelt a TINY bit funny too.. I ended up chucking it to be on the safe side (by which point my OH had already fed her some in her porridge) :nope:

But then I started thinking, I don't really know what it tastes/smells like anyway! :wacko: I'm not so excited about the prospect of defrosting the rest of my freezer supply just to find out it's all off! But it looks like I'll have to .. but first I need to know how to tell! The only thing I've ever read on checking if it's off said something like "Just smell/taste it to see"..! Not very helpful. .

How do you work out whether your milk is off or not??

I don't actually know the answer but can you taste/smell some freshly expressed milk to give yourself a guide?

Sometimes people's milk doesn't freeze well. I can't freeze mine as it goes all soapy/funny tasting. I never thought about it and accidently tried some when making porridge with it for my son. It was gross I can't believe he ate it. Didn't bother him though. Apparently the fast just separates or something. Put me right off freezing it again though

I tried some fresh and it was still kinda gross! I've tried it before but maybe I just didn't notice the metallicky taste before.. I ended up googling it and the Kellymom site said "metallic" is a normal taste for EBM! So I threw 6 oz away for nothing! Oh well...at least I know my freezer supply is ok now :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->