how do you think DC will change the child benefit payments in his review?

fairy1984

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

This IS NOT a debate about how fair it was to take child benefit away from families earning over £40K

But I've read that he's admitted that he hasn't thought it all through and is going to review the situation in the new year.

I think he's referring to the fact that you could have 2 parents earning just under 40K each and still qualify (total family earnings just shy of 80K) V families where there's a SAHM and a dad out earning 41K who will no longer qualify come 2013

how do you think he'll change it to be more fair?

I think he SHOULD change it but I don't think he will, because by changing it he is publicly admitting what mistakes they have made and that won't look good on the party as a whole, it makes more sense too have a 'house income' threshold and reduce the amount, like a household income of say £60,000 (a meet in the middle solution)

I think he SHOULD change it but I don't think he will, because by changing it he is publicly admitting what mistakes they have made and that won't look good on the party as a whole, it makes more sense too have a 'house income' threshold and reduce the amount, like a household income of say £60,000 (a meet in the middle solution)

i agree with this!

But by doing the household income thing it makes it means tested and will cost more money to do that, than they will save :wacko:

can't the money be thrown in with tax credits? makes more sense that way.

I don't see why they don't scrap it altogether and add it onto the tax credit system so that people still get the same amount per month but its worked out by household, not one earner.

.... No actually I do see why they don't do this, as they would mess it up and make it look like people were going to be better off but at the same time fucking us all up royally.

Does any one know how you claim for a second child? Do I have to send both birth certificates off again as a new claim or just the second child's to 'add her on' as we already get it for Riley, I've tried to look and not sure, and keep forgetting to run them up! :dohh:

i sent jake's cert off for child benefit only. don't think you have to do it for riley again or tax credits. x

Does any one know how you claim for a second child? Do I have to send both birth certificates off again as a new claim or just the second child's to 'add her on' as we already get it for Riley, I've tried to look and not sure, and keep forgetting to run them up! :dohh:

Just Naomi's birth certificate hun.

Also you have fab taste in names :thumbup: I have a Riley and a Naomi

yeah I think that would lower the number of people that get child benefit even more because the threshold for tax credits is lower than the higher rate tax threshold?

also arent tax credits means tested therefore admin costs sky high if they get lumped together?

not child/ren related but I was watching the wright stuff this morning and apparently they are on about mean's testing OAP benefits too if they can work out the admin costs

I was actually shocked when they said it costs 550 MILLION pounds a year too fund the free TV license for over 75's, I don't begrudge them it at all just totally shocked at the cost!

buttonnose I didnt know that. See I would agree if the extra would be directly going to help less fortunate OAP's. Like I dont see why millionaire pensioners need winter fuel allowance or free tv license, but guess the argument would be they paid in lots over their life time

Tasha thats exactly what they want too do, those OAP's that are over the threashold lose bus pass, free TV license and possible winter fuel allowence and the money that is saves will go too increasing the amount available for the OAP's that struggle

They said the exact number of OAP's that died last winter due too not being able too afford their heating and I don't remember the number but I was surprised and upset by just how many!

apparently 1 PM (don't remember his name) spends his winter fuel allowence of bottles of merlot, when they put it like that you can kinda agree with it, but on the flip side they have worked all their lives and paid into the tax system ect

Hmmm. See to means test it would mean a big percentage of what is saved going on the means testing, so is it worth it if they say get 50p extra a week? I can quite fully believe it was many who died :cry:

Oh and merlot :growlmad::growlmad::growlmad: takes the piss when so many of his peers are going without food and heating, so many times in the supermarket I see older people using their coppers to pay and it makes me so sad, really our OAP's should never have to do that

Oh and merlot :growlmad::growlmad::growlmad: takes the piss when so many of his peers are going without food and heating, so many times in the supermarket I see older people using their coppers to pay and it makes me so sad, really our OAP's should never have to do that

when i worked at Tesco the amount of old people who came in who were short of money was so sad :( quite a few times i had to put money in the till because they didnt have enough money for just the basics :cry:

Though i also did have a few people behind them n the queue slip me the money to pay for their shopping which was lovely just shocking its come to that though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->