How do you wean onto a cup?

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
Brady's had water since he was 4 days old because of constipation and he's always had it from a bottle, but I'm starting to look into weaning more and as it wont be too long before he does am I supposed to introduce a cup?

He drinks water happily so I dont plan on giving him fruit juices but I have no idea how you're supposed to wean them onto a cup :shrug:

I bought a Tommee Tippee Explora cup with soft spout and valve the other day which said suitable from 4 months, but he totally didn't get it :dohh:

The HV said that they only recommend free flow spouts on cups but I dont know why, is it easier for them?

I have a Doidy cup which I've tried with him and he takes from it quite well to start with but then gets a bit frustrated because it's not as quick as his bottle so I'm wondering if he's a bit young for it still?

What do you think ladies, shalll I perservere with the Doidy or keep trying with the spouted cups? And how did you get your LO to drink from a cup?

Alex never got on with any kind of sippy cup so we just went with the doidy cup. Maybe keep with a bottle for another couple of weeks then try again with the doidy?

we use a doidy, she hasnt quite worked it out yet but is getting there

you try and get water out of the explora, I never could! I just use a bog standard tommee tippee, they give them out free but I have a few now. he'll drink out of any cup but the spout is less messy.

we used the explora, then the older 6months one, leyla took some getting used to it but she is perfect now, took her maybe a week to work out how to do it :D

x

I gave my kids a cup at 6 months as they were able to grab it by then. I let them play with it for a while then put water in it and helped guide it to their mouth and they just picked it up eventually. I bought lots of anti spill etc cups and the kids couldnt get any water out of them - one i couldnt even drink from so go with the tommee tippee ones they are easy to drink from and dont spill too bad (my HV gave me one that has an extra lid with a straw hole in it which is great for when they are a wee bit older).

Thanks ladies, maybe I'm doing it a bit early then, I think I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and try again.

I have been trying to give my lo a cup, got the TT explora weaning bottle which I think iis a bit big for his mouth he just moves it around in his mouth and makes a lovely squeaking noise against his gums but he does get a little out of it, I have tired the tommee tippee basic free flow cut but it comes out too fast and he chokes on it. Any suggestions? He is nearly 6months but is the size of a 3month old!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->