How far gone am I?

LJ88

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question lol but it's my 1st pregnancy and I don't know :( lol I think I'm 6weeks 2 days (because this is what my iPhone app tells me haha)

Is it right that it goes from the 1st day of your last period even though I wasn't pregnant then?

The reason I ask is I have booked an early scan (been having pains etc and can't enjoy being pregnant until I know it's all ok). They asked me how far gone I was and I said 6 weeks. She booked me in for next week and said they're more likely to pick things up on a scan at 7 weeks than 6.

Then I thought 'ah hope i am actually 6 weeks' haha

I had irregular periods but my last 1 was on Sept 12th. I had what I presume to be implantation spotting on 31st of September. But didn't get a positive test result until 19th of Oct.

Am I right? Am I 6 + 2? Will they be able to see anything? (Scan next sat) just want to check its not eptopic really

X x x

Yes hunni it goes from first day of your last period, congratulations and good luck with your scan xxxx

Before they had scans doctors dated pregnancies based on the last possible day you couldn't be pregnant... the first day of your last period. The average cycle is 28 days long, 14 days before ovulation, 14 days after. But many women are not average. Now when they scan you they date the pregnancy as if you had an average cycle, so they basically date you from 2 weeks before the date you conceived. The reason they do this is because there is so much already written down and everyone already dated from LMP that to change it would be confusing.

You could be less than 6 weeks and they might adjust your due date when they do the scan.

Average time for implantation bleeding is 9dpo. (3+1). Average time for first positive test (assuming your testing from early on) is 12dpo (3+4).

When was your last negative test?

Right now I'm 4+0. I'm running straight from a miscarriage so the closest thing I have to an LMP would be my D&C date of 10th August. That would make me 10+6 weeks, which I most certainly am not. With my second baby I hadn't had a period since before my first baby, so the closest thing I had to an LMP was the date my daughter was born, but she was over 12 months old at the time.

TLDR: They use the LMP date until you've been scanned, but then they adjust that date.

Thank you all :) so I should be ok to see something on my scan!

A little more confused before than now haha but think that makes sense!

I don't think my negative tests meant I wasn't pregnant it just wasn't showing up as positive for some reason as my implantation bleeding (based on 9dpo) would have me ovulating approx 10 days after my last cycle.
Must be a family thing! Lol my cousin never got a positive until she was far gone too :)

Feeling a bit better about going for the scan now! Ty ladies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"