How far would you travel at 37 wks pregnant?

bump2be

Reaction score
We've been invited to a party about 2.5 hrs drive from where we live. I'll be 37 weeks pregnant.

As some background my baby is breech, but I'm trying to get her to turn and I'm aiming for a VBAC.

Given this do you think its a good idea to be 2.5 hrs away from the hospital at 37 weeks?? I'm going to check with my midwife, but wanted to get some opinions on here as well :)

I think you would be all right. I was thinking about traveling 2.5 hours myself at 36w 1d, but decided against it just in case. However, hubby will be away. I do have this nagging feeling that I will not make it to 39 weeks this time. (My gut feeling with my daughter was she'd arrive a little before 40 weeks and she did at 39w 6d). So I trust my 'gut' from over the years and personal experiences in life.

I would say just make sure you get out to stretch your legs often enough and you should be fine. You will also know as you get closer if you started to dilate or not and can always change your mind at that point and people would understand.

For me it would depend on how important the party is .... It can be risky.. The only other thing is driving for 2.5hrs while heavily preggo and having to pee all the time it quite a pain so I would probably skip at this stage.

The distance wouldn't bother me but the thought of a long car journey might put me off, I think I'd be too uncomfortable. If it means a lot to you then I'd go but take your notes and hospital bag if your worried

I'd ask your Dr and see what they think. If they don't think you'll be at risk of going into labor then I'd go, but if there was a chance I was already dialating... Nope, hell no. I'd be too scared to go that far away.

I would go but no way I could sit in the car for that long just now never mind at 37 weeks x

i'm working up to 39 weeks and will be in London once a week until 38 weeks (2 hours on the train) for two nights each week. My DS was a week overdue; i'm also trying for a vbac this time.

I'm going to a wedding 3ish hours away at 37 weeks, I'll actually be there for about a week altogether. I've done lots of 2-3 hour drives so far, as driver and passenger, and it's been fine from that point of view anyway.

I have got one of my best friends wedding where I am a bridesmaid when I will be 38 weeks! It will be travelling a couple of hours to get there and then staying in the hotel overnight. I am going to try and see my midwife the day before and she can check me over to make sure everything is ok. I am also going to make sure I know where the nearest maternity unit is! You should be ok to travel just make sure there are plenty of wee stops lol 😉x

I probably would, especially as in my case both my other children were a week late. I would probably also check where the nearest maternity unit is and take my pregnancy notes just in case.

We were going to travel from Iowa to New York this week (24-28hr drive) but decided against it and are now going to be traveling with a 3 1/2- 4 month old :haha: I am 33w1d today and even at 31 weeks when we had to pick my parents up from the airport 1 1/2 hrs away I was in horrible pain from sitting in the car. We actually had to stop part way through so I could get up and move because just shifting in my seat didn't work. I'm so happy we put off the long trip, I would have been miserable. Now hopefully our baby enjoys car rides and wont scream and cry the entire way or that is going to be a very very long trip. lol

In terms of safety, you'll be fine. Unless you have really fast labours, as in less than 2.5 hours and you'll be that far from any hospital or birth centre, I wouldn't be bothered - and anyway, lots of people have vaginal breech babies anyway. So it's not so much that it's risky, but just that you may not feel like going anywhere and if you are trying to get baby to turn, sitting in the car for a long time (as it encourages non-optimal positioning) might not be the best. I gave birth at 37 weeks, but if I was feeling up for going somewhere, it wouldn't discourage me from traveling if I wanted to. Even if you do go into labour, you can always get yourself somewhere unless where you'll be is really remote, so it might just be comforting to plan for that eventuality if it would make you feel better.

I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow, our baby's also breech and I'm not going anywhere. We haven't been invited anywhere out of town though, lol. If your Dr or midwife doesn't feel you're at risk to go into labour early, then it might be fine. I would make a note before you go where the nearest hospital is to where you'll be just in case. I'd be more worried about the uncomfortable car ride than anything else! I have a hard enough time dealing with the 30 minute drive into work every day with all the spring bumps and pot holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->