How I fell in love with breastfeeding...If I can do it anyone can!!

fashionlover

Reaction score
I come from a family of women who did not breastfeed past the two week mark for various reasons. When I became pregnant with my daughter I began fervently researching breastfeeding and all of the benefits but I never took any classes. I figured I'm a woman, it is a natural born ability right? WRONG!! All the while, I never put the pressure on myself that some women tend to do. The pressure of I HAVE TO BREASTFEED or I am not a fit mother bullshit. (pardon my French :thumbup:) My thought was if I can do it, I will go for it, if not then I guess it wasn't in my cards.

Fast Forward to day one when my milk came in..HOLY OUCH. I had a scheduled c section with my daughter and was pretty out of it on pain meds but I will never forget the feeling of my milk coming in. I called for the nurse and she quickly ordered a pump and brought my daughter in to begin the nursing process. The lactation consultants (milk nazis) as my husband and I began calling them arrived and gave me a quick tutorial and we were off. Baby had a really good latch but I did know what the heck I was doing. Needless to say my right nipple is permanently wonky now. Every day that I nursed in the hospital the lactation consultant would come by to check on me, one of them grabbed my boob and squeezed it so hard I almost slapped her. All the while baby was getting it right but my positioning was the challenging part.

When we arrived home, the new challenge was building my supply. My mom, and everyone under the moon was telling me what I should do to build the supply but to no avail. I struggled to even get 2 oz but baby kept on going and she didn't seem to be starving. There were a couple moments I almost caved and put her on formula, one being when my right nipple was in such bad shape it started bleeding, and I cried like a baby over my newborn baby. The next was when I was hit with a ton of bricks with mastitis not once but TWICE. I have never experienced an illness quite like that one. But I kept on going. I knew then and I still hold on to the fact that my milk is the best nutrition for my baby and I will keep fighting to provide her with the best that I can, no matter what it is.

The moment I really turned a corner with breast feeding was after I came home from a wedding reception at the 4 month mark. Feeling very full, I began pumping and I produced 8oz of milk. I was amazed that my body was finally capable of producing that much milk. I chocked it up to, it being the first time i finally let loose and had a good time, and the stress and worry of making milk was not on my mind. Therefore, my milk flowed and has been flowing beautifully ever since. 9.5 months into breastfeeding, I absolutely love it. There is nothing like watching my baby beauty fall asleep in my arms, her tiny fingers stroking my face, or playing with my hair. And as we approach her 1st birthday it breaks my heart that one day soon she will not need mommy's milk anymore. But the struggles and the beauty of it all will be with me forever. :happydance::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->