How is PCOS diagnosed?

OhTheJoy

Reaction score
My dr wants me to go in for a blood test when my next period starts to check my hormones and mentioned PCOS.

He is doing this since i am getting a little extra hairy, below my belly button there is loads (but i shave) and i have them on my chest inbetween my boobs and on my right breast also a little on my top lip.

He said he will check my hormones but also see if i have PCOS.

I am a little confused as yes i have extra hair growth but my cycles are 35-38 days long sometimes shorter sometimes longer.

The last 2 cycles i have monitored i have ovulated both times, i thought if you had PCOS you didnt ovulate? or am i being naive?

Is it just a blood test or more involved?

Thanks!

They do an initial screen to check your testosterone levels. You do have long cycles which is also a symptom(so do I). I am Italian and hairy in all those spots too and do not have pcos-at least my Hormone levels were normal when I was screened. I've read that it's actually the ratio of your hormone levels and even if the levels come back okay the ranges are so wide that you could still have it but be diagnosed wrong. On the bright side, women diagnosed with pcos have healthy babies all the time and you know you're ovulating so I wouldn't worry as not ovulating is the big downside of pcos when you are ttc.

Symptoms are weight gain, hair, acne, no periods, no ovulation, if u have 3 or more of these then they test.

When I was diagnosed, I had a blood test, an internal examination and an ultrasound. I'm now on clomid.

Hope it goes ok for you.

Cheers! ive always been a little plump when i was younger but when i moved out i gained some really bad eating habbits and i stopped smoking so i gained like 5 stone and then was put on medication so gained another 3 stone. I used to weigh 21st 5lbs (and i dont think i ovulated) and now i weigh 19 stone (but back at slimming world working on it) and i am ovulating.

Ive always had skin problems but since ive stopped wearing make up everyday and starting taking folic acid this has cleared up a little.

I will see what the test comes back with but i am feeling a little better about it.

Don't worry, pcos is not the end of the world. Slimming really helps pcos so ur definitely doing the right thing x

A definitive diagnosis is an ultrasound of your ovaries. Polycystic means "many cysts," so if the doctor sees many tiny cysts on your ovaries, then you have it. It is also linked to insulin levels, which not only controls your blood sugar but also acts as a signal for many hormones. Since hormones are lipid soluble, excess fat exacerbates this condition. Most women do ovulate when they have PCOS, it is just irregular. In PCOS the hormones that signal the follicles to mature to become viable eggs are impeded, and instead the follicles fail to mature and just hang around the ovaries to become cysts. Every now and then a mature egg will be released, and you will ovulate.

It really is a manageable disease. Weight loss and Metformin are the best ways to manage the disease and get your body back to where it should be.

Best of luck!! <3

A definitive diagnosis is an ultrasound of your ovaries. Polycystic means "many cysts," so if the doctor sees many tiny cysts on your ovaries, then you have it.
It is actually possible to have polycystic ovaries but not PCOS :) Normally you have to fit two of the three main criteria to be diagnosed with PCOS (cysts on your ovaries, hormone imbalance and absent or irregular periods). It is also possible to have PCOS without having any cysts on your ovaries.

OhTheJoy - excess hair is one sign of PCOS, as is acne. One of the main fertility problems with PCOS is the fact that sufferers do not have periods and/or they have irregular cycles in which they might not ovulate. Mine vary between 27 and 41 days and this still isn't considered to be irregular enough for PCOS (even though I have polycystic ovaries). Weight gain is also a big problem for women with PCOS. Don't worry about it though - even if you are diagnosed with PCOS there is medication you can take which seems to have good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->