How long after birth did you go home?

4 days after my first because of a difficult labour/delivery and infection and 17 hours after my second, I wanted to get home ASAP and only lived a 5 minute walk from the hospital so didn't mind leaving.

3 days after my first. I was desperate to get home but was told there was no option of leaving early.

With my second I found out that I COULD leave early so when I arrived at the hospital 8cm dilated I spent the whole time telling them I was leaving 2 hours after delivery.

There was a minor complication with the birth though and they said I had to stay in 12 hours so they could observe the baby but I feel as if they tricked me because they did not check on me or the baby once during that time.

I'm hoping that with this baby I'll be able to go home after 2 hours.

6 hours after birth with my first, hopefully the same again this time

I had my son lunchtime on Saturday and they finally let me go Monday afternoon - that is considered quick by Australian standards.

3 days with my son, they wanted me to stay longer but I was desperate to go home, I'm hoping to stay as little as possible this time.

Ds1-6nights as I had some complications after the birth..I should have stayed longer but I discharged myself.
Ds2-about 5 hours
Ds3 was born at home

I gave birth in a birth centre and I went home the same day, about 7 hours after the birth. I feel so guilty that I went home and didn't stay the night. Has anyone else gone home the same day?

Yes I did :)

I had my second baby 9 weeks ago. I gave birth at 1:44pm and went home 9pm that day. The ward was extremely full and I stayed in the room I gave birth in before being discharged. I had a natural birth in the natural birth centre.

I actually felt good going home straight away as I've never slept a night away from my 4 year old x

Oh I assumed with subsequent babies your sent home sooner. My first I went into hospital Thursday, he was born Saturday and I left hospital Monday afternoon! They were actually saying I could stay longer if I didn't feel ready to go lol. I didn't sleep a wink and the ward was too noisy so I was pleased to leave. I did have a long, induced labour with the epidural.

Our Hospital says if you have a uncomplicated, natural birth at the birth centre your likely to be discharged 6 hours later x

DS I had him 10.30pm and then went home 5pm the following day

DD I had her 7.42pm left the hospital 11.30pm same day :shrug:

I have to say it was so much nicer to be home that it was staying in the hospital :thumbup:

maybe I'm just a weirdo ... Or maybe the private set up we have where I live makes the difference... But I enjoy a few nights at the hospital. The nurses pretty much leave you alone after the first few hours and it's nice not to have to worry about anything but focusing on resting and admiring the new baby. And also having the support of people who are fully rested is a huge plus!

maybe I'm just a weirdo ... Or maybe the private set up we have where I live makes the difference... But I enjoy a few nights at the hospital. The nurses pretty much leave you alone after the first few hours and it's nice not to have to worry about anything but focusing on resting and admiring the new baby. And also having the support of people who are fully rested is a huge plus!

Do u get your own room ? I think that would make all the difference haha. I can't stand the lack of privacy. Six women in one room plus six babies it's enough to drive u crazy. The support would be awesome but as its not private etc I just need to get out there for my home comforts ya know

Do u get your own room ? I think that would make all the difference haha. I can't stand the lack of privacy. Six women in one room plus six babies it's enough to drive u crazy. The support would be awesome but as its not private etc I just need to get out there for my home comforts ya know
Yeah a private labor/recovery room with a bathroom. Wow! yeah if I had to share a room like that I'd be begging to go home too!

I ended up being in a week :( hated every single second and desperately wanted to be at home having never spent a single night in hospital went in for induction which meant 4 days and then csection followed by another three days stay! Praying pleading and begging for a normal birth this time I am petrified of a planned section (my first was classed as emergency and I had a general anaesthetic)

My dd was born by emcs late on the wednesday night, after >20 hours in active labour, and we left very very late on the saturday night - they had been getting set up to dscharge us on the Saturday afternoon but then they couldn't find the doctor to sign me out, and then he was in theatre doing a section, and then another section, so 5pm turned into nearly midnight. They tried to get me to stay an extra night because of that but I had my heart set on going home...I hadn't thought about having to climb the stairs at home though...OUCH. So I was in for nearly 4 days in total, including labour.

After the c-section I was allowed back into my labour room, so DH could stay the night with us, and after that I went onto the ward for one night. I'm staff at the hospital I was in, so they found me a private room for the next 2 nights. It had a lot more room and had a private bathroom, which was nice and made me less reluctant to pee (hard to take a 10lb newborn to the loo with you when you can barely walk!) but it wasn't really much quieter, you could still hear all the noise and buzzers going and stuff, but I felt completely isolated, didn't have a clue what I was doing, and was massively struggling with breastfeeding...I'd push the buzzer for help and it'd take upwards of half an hour for someone to come, by which time dd was frantic.

Next time I'll be going for a vbac so hopefully we'll only be in one night max...I think I'd feel more relaxed at home, and my mum will probably be visiting to help look after dd, so won't need to do anything much but feed the new baby.

My first was a csection so I was in 2 nights - I was miserable and desperate to go home.

My second was a VBAC - I had him at 1am and left hospital around 9am so I was in about 8 hours.

I hated being in the hospital and just wanted to get on with normal life in our normal environment. I felt much better in myself mentally and physically the second time.

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different and some people want to or need to stay at hospital but I certainly wouldn't feel guilty for going home quickly! :flower:

I had two natural births. Here, the options are go home or stay on a ward. So I went home after about 12 hours with both. Will do the same again if everything goes smoothly.

With my first I stayed 3 nights, it was lovely, I struggled to BF and was a single mother so the early help was amazing!

With my second I was adament that I'd get discharged hours after birth, but I lost a lot of blood and was very anaemic so I had to spend 2 awful nights on the ward.

5 days. I was told no matter the outcome of the labour I would have had to stay. I ended up having a section any how. I didnt mind the hospital.

I ended up staying in 3 nights before discharging myself xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->