How long after having baby did you/will you return to work?

I will be taking 14 weeks off, 3 of which are holiday. I don't know how we would cope on SMP, I get 3 weeks full pay, 6 weeks at 90% and then on to SMP

I have taken the whole 39 weeks on SMP.. so 6 weeks was at 90% of wage and the next 33 weeks have been £128 p/w. My husband has a reasonible wage which covers our morgage and bills. I have used mine for food and petrol. Luckily we have no debits. We have good savings but luckily we have not touched them at all and have managed to add a tiny bit each month. Our families have helped out with stuff for my son like clothing and stroller ect. Child benefit more than covers nappies, wipes and formula.

I go back to work next month when Tristan will be 8.5 months. Our mums are going to share childcare which they will do for free. I will be part time. Its not been easy but i am so happy to have had all this time with him. I am NOT looking forward to returning to work.

Took the whole year off work so 11 months, and I have to say it was well worth it even not being paid for 3 months. I wouldnt of liked to have put LO into childcare before she could even crawl and explore, i spent the most important time with her. I couldnt really afford to but we managed it.

I'll probably only get about 4 weeks off but I work for my mother-in-law and she said that I can bring the baby here for the first few months. Then after that my mom is going to be my daycare!!!

My daughter will be 8 weeks on Wednesday. I'm returning to full-time placement on Monday. My husband is layed off permanently so we need me to graduate on time, which is 2 weeks after his severance runs out.

I have 1 years maternity leave available through the employment insurance program and if needed up to 15 weeks before the baby is born for sickness. That being said I do not want to go on mat leave too soon before the baby is due and I really don't think I'm going to take the full year off. Everyone tells me I'm crazy and that once I hold the baby on my arms I will change my mind but I really love my job and it is a part of who I am. So losing(even temporarily) it is going to be really hard on me. Oh would love to take time off to spend with the baby so I may take some of the year and he may take the rest.

Jennie, I felt the same way. We have a year here too but after my oldest was born, I just couldn't bear going back after only a year. I've stayed home now for a little over four years, and wasn't planning on returning to placement until September, but with my husband's layoff and his severance running out two weeks before graduation, I have no choice. I feel sad that I have to miss my last baby's babyhood, but sometimes, you just have to prioritize.

At least my husband will see that staying home isn't all about eating chips and watching soaps all day.

Lol yeah I can see where some guys would get the wrong idea about what house wives do! I have so much respect for women who stay home and take care of their children. I just don't think I would have the mental ability to do solely that day in and out. Not that i am worried because it is a lot of work and dedication. I would do it if pushed but I feel like I would want my time as well and work is a big part of who I am.

I live in the US and my work told me I got 6 weeks unpaid for maternity leave, then I have to be back to my 45-50 hour work week after that....

Wish I lived in the UK! :)

i only took 11 weeks, it sucked. I am in so much debt because of taking even that long though, so i had no choice to go back.

i strongly recommend taking as long as you can, its so worth the struggle money-wise.

next time, im taking the full 39 weeks, then the unpaid leave too if i can help it! x

I'm taking seven months full pay, three of SMP then unpaid - I'm very lucky. xx

At the moment, I'm planning on taking a year out. I think we'll be able to cope fine while I'm on SMP - although it's not much, my husband has a good job and we get a rental income from his mum's house that we're going to fall back on now. It might get a bit tougher once the SMP stops, we'll have to see how that goes. I'm also playing it by ear a bit anyway as I may feel like I want to go back to work earlier, probably part time though. If I did, I think it would be for me rather than a financial thing. We don't have any family nearby so the baby would have to go into nursery and I'm not sure if my wages would cover the expense of that, although I haven't done any sums on that yet. I finish work this Friday - I've always been really career focused but am so looking forward to mat leave! It will also feel very strange not to be working after being in work for over 12 years! But I love the idea of being a SAHM for that first year. Good luck to everyone, whatever the plans are. I really admire mums who are holding down jobs or running businesses with a baby as I'm sure that's not an easy option :)

I'm also thinking how lucky we are in the UK. I've always thought our SMP was pretty rubbish, but at least we do have some payment and options to stay off work for 9 months. It sounds a lot tougher in the US! If we go back at 6 months, our employer has to give our old job back. If we go back after 9 months or 12 months, they have to give us an equivalent of our job back (and most people I know have gone back into their old job). Plus there are options for arranging flexible working, although that does depend on the role and the employer. But since I've been on this forum I've realised that we are actually quite fortunate here - although I think in Sweden there's an even better maternity/paternity package where you are fully paid for like a year or something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->