How long after making up a bottle would you discard it?

caz_hills

Reaction score
Quick question - if you make up a bottle and then baby feeds half of it, how long would you wait before making up a fresh bottle? The formula says discard after two hours so would you use this bottle say 1 hour after making it?

Thanks x

It depends on their age, at this age (1 week) I would discard after 30-60 minutes because 2 hours is not that far away from when he'd want another full feed anyway so a remnant of a bottle wouldn't be enough iykwim.

an hour from being made up, the 2 hours is how long you can keep a fresh bottle at room temp for.

It depends on the age of the baby. As a newborn we threw it away straight away as the bottles we made were only 4oz and she used to drink at least 3, so there was barely any left. We went two hours for an untouched unrefrigerated bottle, one for a touched bottle unrefrigerated.

We never refrigerated bottles as we had the perfect prep and there was no need to.

I always tip away after an hour if all milk has not been consumed ;)

I would use it up to 2 hours, give or take maybe about 15 minutes, after either making it (if fresh) or heating it (if I pre-made and then put it in the fridge to use later). There isn't some magical timer that goes off at 2 hours that suddenly makes it unsafe, so as long as you've handled it safely (well-sterilised, both bottle and formula, clean hands, etc.) and especially when you've made it fresh, I wouldn't freak out and dispose of it exactly at 2 hours if my daughter had suddenly wanted more. But beyond about 2 hours 15 or so, definitely I would make a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->